Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 ford chassis + 1940 ford cross steering? can it be done?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sawzall, Feb 9, 2014.

1. sawzall

sawzall

assuming you had a deuce chassis, and a complete 40 ford steering box, column and wheel... would this setup work in a deuce frame?

has anyone done it?

have any pics..

2. Do you already have the correct spindles for the cross steering? My memory is that guys got into trouble when they also used a dropped axle. I think with some bending it would work but I have never done it. Have you considered F100 pick up steering?

Charlie Stephens

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes there was a survivor Deuce 5 window that had the whole 39 column from banjo wheel to light switch transplanted at York several years ago. It even had the 39 column drop with locking key and switch. If you convert to hydraulics the classic way with 37 up spindles you will have the needed spindle for cross steering.

4. 42merc

42merc

I bought a '32 cpe several years ago that was built in 1952. They had used all of the '39 components, steering, brakes & engine. The car used the stock axle.
    Although it was crudely built it functioned & steered well.

5. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

If I remember correctly, the Ken Gross '32 roadster featured in TRJ had '40 steering. I believe he cut down the sector shaft and resplined it so that it would not stick down so low.

6. Andy

Andy

The Dick Smith roadster at the Ford Museum has 40 cross steering and column shift. Dick did not have room for the shift levers on the pass side so he put them on the drivers side.

7. sawzall

sawzall

so.. deuce frame. 40 box, cross steer, maybe with some mods to the steering arm,
    37 up spindles..

throw in a spare steering box mount (that I saved from a 40 frame) and I'd have most of the front suspension / steering DONE?

who said building a deuce was going to be tough??

oh wait I have no fenders, body or rear... small details..

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Dick Smith also utilized the complete center crossmember... Along with his car, he also did Ermie Immerso and Bob Dyer's roadsters the same way

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Sawzall, it is not the easiest swap but has been done time and time again. I believe Cory on here put one in his roadster. The biggest problem is the length of the steering sector makes the pitman arm too close to the ground. I am not sure how to solve this as Dave Simard did, but it can be done. I will look up the article on how to do it.

I am starting my Deuce project with front and rear crossmembers, 57 rear end, dropped axle and not much else. Hot rodding is about dreaming, building and having a good time.
    Lynn

LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We fitted a 47 truck steering box as it had a slightly longer steering column , to enable us to get the box and wheel located correctly. But any cross steer box will work , you may need to lengthen the shaft. It steers like a dream. You can fit these to any 37 to 48 spindles. Just need to have the motor in place to get your clearances right. And get the draglink in the correct plane in relation to the tierod.

11. tony starr

tony starr

some great words here lynn...

12. Roadsir

Roadsir

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Athans roadster...
    [​IMG]

14. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Send a PM to Cory Taulbert, great guy and very help full, he did it on his deuce roadster and drives the thing everwhere.

I had planned on using a '40 box as well but found a Vega so I will most likely make that consession.

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

16. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

not really the same, but i used a 46 passanger car stering box & tube on a 33/34 frame with a modified 46 mount. worked great,, other than i had to make some custom headers to clear it worked out great.

17. gonzo

gonzo

Russ Daly's roadster runs a forty Ford box. I considered going this route with my 32 as the cost would be much lower than most of the alternatives and it should yield better performance.

18. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I put one in my old green roadster. Worked fantastic and still does 15,000 miles later. I cut the box mounting plate off a 40 frame and welded it to the inside rail of the chassis. Message Gary T, current owner, if you want the frame rail measurement where it was placed. You just have to be careful of oil pan clearance and steering geometry

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392047388.344091.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392047521.522972.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Rusty

Rusty

Mark Fords's Coupe has one

20. 343w

343w

I am planning to use a 40 steering box with cross steer and 40 spindles. The length of the column is the only question using the original drop and lock switch in my tudor. The body is still not mounted on the frame, so there might be some adjusting involved.

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nosurf's A coupe is a shortened AA frame – so similar dimentions as a Deuce frame – with a '48 box and column. I would think some careful mockup time would get you there with few issues.

22. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

23. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I've used a 46 box and column in a 32. Even used the mounting bracket cut down a bit. It places the box quite far forward, and makes it tight for headers on the flathead V8. But the column length is great for a channelled pickup. Brings the wheel quite far up so you have room behind it for your legs.

Twitter @edsrodshop

24. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I built a 29 roadster with an A frame/flathead and used a cross steer 37-40 box, a tight fit but it worked even with dropped axle. Was one of the best handling cars. Anyway not the same but it's got to be easier on a 32 frame.
    TP

25. Did it on my roadster...worked slick and no one else had it!

26. Cabro32

Cabro32
    from Pa

I bought a 32 5W that was built in the 50's about 20 years ago that had that setup. The frame was cracked and bent from fatigued steel. The cross steering puts a twist in the frame every time you turn the steering wheel. The frame from the factory was not designed for cross steering. Box or strengthened the frame rail and should be ok.

27. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

As does my coupe, though it's channeled. Either way, both cars steer GREAT.

As you can see in this pic, his shaft goes under the headers, the engine sits high.

[​IMG]

My engine sits a little high too. But I still have one piece spindles s,plit bones etc...

[​IMG]

You can sort of see the more extreme tie rod angle here, but it doesn't have any noticeable affect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    MayDay likes this.
  28. sawzall

sawzall

Thanks for the excellent responses... I prefer the engine high in the chassis.. when this happens ita likely that the engine will be a sbc with trips... only time stands in the way!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Are you building something new?

30. titus

titus

Generally when a person sets up a vega box with cross steering they try and get the box up close so the tie rod and drag links are close to each other, but if you look at any 35-48 ford the box is back further and the drag link is no where near parallel with tie rod. so the first couple pics of cars posted here with the 40 style box has the box mounted way forward, Mark Fords and Dreadybears car is mounted further with more of an angle like Dready stated in his post, the way they did it is the way id do mine.

JEFF

MayDay likes this.