Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1959 squarebird mild custom build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ynottayblock, Apr 23, 2013.

1. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

inching closer to paint...should be going to the booth by the end of the month...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking awesome Brent.

3. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thanks Jeff, I gotta get it out of the way for somebodies interior ;)

I'll give you a call this week, to touch base

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm excited to see this one in paint! Squarebirds rule!

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

so am I....so many hours sanding this damn thing, I want to see the payoff

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear ya- the very end is both nerve wracking and exciting, not to mention tiring! Spray one more coat of poly on it just in case... ;)

7. Hey Brent....the bird is looking really good....I heard that you'd been in to see our boy Rich about paint.......he'll do a great job and I know he's looking forward to having the opportunity.......full steam ahead, Spring is only around the corner brother....lol.....drop by the shop sometime and best of luck with the rest of the build.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thanks Mark! If everything works out Rich will be doing the colour, I cant wait to get it to him. When are you guys usually at the shop, I always want to pop by but never know if anybody is there? Are you fellas all ready for the autorama yet?

9. I'm at the ELTA Shop every day mostly early mornings and the rest of the brothers are in and out during most days. Every Sat. morning there's usually about 5 to 7 of us having coffee and catching up or banging away on some thing...lol.

Inregards to Autorama this year....we've got another 7 fresh rides going in and everyone are thrashing to be ready.....hope to see you there, maybe we'll have that beer we both keep trying to have....lol.

The Bird is really looking good Brent......hopefully we'll see it at the summer bash......or maybe Detroit 2015.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

REALLY looking good! I like the door handle removal, I wish I had the nerve to cut mine up…;-). Maybe they'll both be in Detroit 2015?

Brian

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Brian,

With all the other metal work you've done, Im surprised your handles haven't disappeared yet ;). I have been keeping tabs on yours, the front end treatment is looking good. I honestly might have mine in the Autorama next year

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's weird, but I kind of like the door handle in the fin, it's a neat sculptural element that, despite all the other stuff I've done, still seems to look OK on the car. Plus, it keeps it sort of "stock" looking, which I like too.

Re the bumper treatment, thanks. The way it fit, especially after I tucked the ends in, thinking that would help, but made it worse, really bothered me. Since the bumpers will be painted, they have to fit like a rolled pan and be a part of the body.

If we both end up at Autorama, it'd be cool to have them parked next to each other, wouldn't it? Mildly wild, and wildly mild T'birds. You're poised to have yours done before I get mine ready, but I'm going to shoot for having it done by the end of summer.

Brian

13. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Maybe we can make it 3 birds at Autorama. I have the GNRS show a given then onto the Autorama in Sacto. When is Detroit?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

PC Jr, if you bring yours', you'll make mine look bad! Dunno for 2015, it's 3/7-8-9 this year. Coming up fast, I have to get busy and start cleaning the Diamond T, and making a small awning for the Tini-Home, "Canned HAMB" trailer.

Brian

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

This would be a pretty neat idea. PC Jr, you should bring yours up to Detroit if you can swing it, would be really nice to see it in person.

16. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

No way I will make it this year. I am definitely interested in 2015. Guessing that I am still 9 to 10 months away from completion.

17. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

No way mine makes Detroit this year either, but I most likely will do next year. It would be a long haul for you to make it to Detroit, but if you can swing it next year, that would be pretty awesome.

On a side note, I totally missed your reply on this thread earlier, do you have a Temp/fuel gauge in your parts stash that you want to get rid of? Its one of the last things I need and haven't got around to finding yet

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Next year is the plan for me as well Brent.. I just got no Square Bird…… hahaha
    keep at 'er!:)

19. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

I am pretty sure I do. Let me check my storage and I will get back with you.

20. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

I have one. PM your address and I will get it sent to you.

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

a small update to keep this rolling...

Im still finishing up the body for paint...here is yet another picture of it in grey...
    [​IMG]

While Ive been obsessing over the bodywork, Ian has gotten busy taking care of a few things:
    Stripped and painted the steering box. I had him paint it with a cast finish, should look good with the gold column.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the pitman in black
    [​IMG]

He also disassembled the rear bumper for polishing and stripped all the bumper brackets and painted them black (which I will need to take a picture of).
    [​IMG]

We will be off to the Detroit Autorama next weekend so not much will get done for a couple weeks. Even further behind now, but still making progress atleast

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Stop by the "Canned HAMB" trailer and say hi...

Attached Files:

23. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Will do. Should be there Friday and saturday

24. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

After taking last weekend off to head to Detroit for the autorama, we got back at it this weekend. Detroit was good, nice to take a break from block sanding and get inspired by all the beautiful cars.

So Friday I buzzed into town after work and laid another coat of primer over everything...so this should hopefully be the last coat before she goes to the booth for colour. We will see where I stand after I block it out again. We shut the shop down at 3am and took some artsy fartsy pictures

[​IMG]

Saturday I decided to seam seal the interior and lay down the sound deadener/insulation
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ian stripped and painted all the bumper brackets and the heater box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The list of things to do is slowly getting shorter

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

26. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Primer is such a tease... You're getting close!!!

27. I can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now. Just read through the whole thing. It's looking damn good.

28. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thanks Brian

Im actually starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Thanks AJ!

And a few more of the small things got done...I painted the gauge faces metallic gold and bronze to match the colour scheme of the car. I also painted the needles red.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 emblems I will use in the interior, bronze with gold accents
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and got one of the 1959 Ontario plates I will be running done, forgive the grainy cell phone pic, its looks better than this
    [​IMG]

I will be off to the shop in a few hours to finish sanding the last coat of primer, and will shoot the last coat on sunday hopefully.

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Looks like you're on schedule! The gauges look great. I'm gonna sacrifice the clock dial for accent pieces for the new tach in mine.

30. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

by "on schedule" you mean a year behind? hahha

a Tach replacing the clock in yours is a smart choice