Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson 232-262-308 engine tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PacaRacer50, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Normbc9

Normbc9

This is one of four local cop cars our town had. They were Hudson Twin Hornets and they could really haul the mail on the straightaways and still get it on in corners. The bad guys usually rolled their cars in a corner on a high speed chase. The cops loved them
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

2. And if you really are a Hudson tragic, Moebius Models have just released a brand newly tooled 1/25th scale 1953 Hudson Hornet Coupe with Twin H Power..........this is a really nice kit with Tim Flocks 1952 Stock Car version to come later this year.......If you are in Oz, I just got my shop supply last week..... www.scaleautomobilia.com.au ...you Yanks checkout any good hobby shop over there.......lol.......andyd

Attached Files:

3. i have gone to the effort of getting a 55-56 input shaft machined to suit the stepdown bellhousing length into a 55-56 crank. the stepdown shafts are much shorter due to the pilot bearing being set in the flywheel rather than a bush in the cranks like 55-56. i am yet to find out if all the effort was worth it yet, my engine is yet to be completed.
    also here is a photo of the deeper relief used on the 55-56 blocks. the stock 308 head on these is much closer in chamber size to a 262 or 232 chamber from 51-54. i have the oversized valves and a bit of extra work in the reliefs to open up the transfer slot allowing better flow with an iron 232 head.

Attached Files:

4. vetteson

vetteson

Resurrecting this thread because I just discovered it and have learned some more about the 308. In the first discussion about the twin-H manifold it was stated that the '55-56 intakes did not flow as well as the earlier versions. How come? Have they been compared experimentally? The '55-56 intake has the advantage of having two vacuum ports instead of one located near the mid point of the balance tunnel. I use one for the power brakes and the other acts as a PCV inlet. The '56 hydraulic cam has .366 lift and 260 deg. duration, hence the term "long dwell" cam.

5. Studegator

Studegator

any updates on the Hudson engine project?

6. cvs

cvs

I have a 55-56 down for overhaul at this time. I appreciate your info thanks. This engine is in a 53 hornet. Good to know these differences

7. Just found this, and theres a lota good info. Im new to all the 50s engines, and im very keen to suck up as much info as i can on the Hornet engines. I own a 1928 and a 29 super six, and these are cool, but id love to get my hands on a twin H power engine. Thanks, subscribed.

8. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

they had a picture of a 55 or 56 dry hudson clutch on the hudson forum a while back. really interesting, i had never seen one before. i have to admit i might like the idea of the bushing in the crank instead of the roller bearing in the flywheel. that way it wouldn't have to be "staked" in from behind and couldn't be pushed foward.

9. rocksolidnate

rocksolidnate
    from Viroqua Wi

10. billrabe

billrabe
    from Ramsey, MN

I am getting ready to rebuild a 308 and this thread is very interesting, bit reading on the Hudson forum, one of the old timers mentioned that increasing the oil pressure would cause premature failure of the oil pumps/gears. Anyone have this issue by increasing the oil pressure?

11. Normbc9

Normbc9

I was the mechanic for the powner a '53 Hudson Twin Hornet used in oval racing and it had the 308. What a bomb! It outran even the V-8's of the era on the oval. He'd out run them in the turns and when they caught up on the straights another turn came. That was one of the strongest blocks I ever saw. He had a local machine shop set one up to 322 cubic inches and it too (balance to 1/2 gram) was a smooth idler and ran like a scared rabbit. Even now I still look for a '53 Twin Hornet. But when I find them the issue of being outbid surfaces. Nice handling automobile too!
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

12. ricrocs

ricrocs

I got 2 308's-2 262's

13. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

a recent thread on the hudson board about oil pressure problems and the extra hole in the 55 and 56 blocks under the timing chain got me thinking about this thread. last time i drove my 53 the oil pressure light came on a couple of times briefly at idle. i think i am going to check that spring and try the washer trick at the oill pressure relief valve. it was mentioned about putting as much as 3 washers in between the spring and bolt.

14. Edmunds made a dual 2bbl intake for these engines. Were there any other performance parts for them?

15. speedshifter

speedshifter

In 1958 I was mechanic-pitman for Ron Kaufman on his 34 Hudson coupe dirt tracker. It had a 7x block sleeved back for the 300 cu in limit. He was season champ at Husets Speedway in Sioux Falls SD. Most other cars there were powered by flat head Fords, Chev 6's, gmc,s etc. I never did see a Ford beat him. A few specs : Jans cast racing cast pistons, unknown cam, long steel bars drilled for the 1/2" head studs, these bars fit lengthwise on the topside of the head, that & homemade copper hd gskts cured the gskt problem. 2 Stromberg 97's on alky on Twin H in manifold, stock wet clutch. Ran in 2nd gear on 3/8 mile dirt oval (Husets). This bomb of an engine never blew up & gave very few problems after curing the hd gskt weakness.Good memories of agreat car & driver. Greg

16. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Clifford makes a 4 b. intake and headers and a head for them. Edmunds also made a head plus the 2x2 intake. Hud

17. indianmark

indianmark

Great thread! Some years back I saved a 54 Hornet coupe from going to the scrap yard.
    I had remembered this car from when I was a teenager and always liked it. When the head gasket went the owner parked it in the woods behind his house. He contacted me many years later and offered it to me or it was to be scrapped. So home it came.
    What a challenge it was just to get the head off. Head bolts locked into the aluminum head. I had to drill almost every one out. High nickle block, you bet! The machine shop said it was a bitch to bore. We took it out .040 over and had Egge make me pistons. Finding other parts was a challenge too. But we did find everything including all parts to rebuild the Borg Warner auto trans. This was a great car!!! I had to sell it and have regreted it ever since. Hard to find another that is affordable. People used to think it was a chopped Merc. Nope I would say, stock Hudson. That 308 was one hell of a motor!

18. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i had a guy tell me isky made a drill attachment to cut around the head studs to free up the head. if it was bolts it would be a challenge!

19. sanfran50

sanfran50

does a hudson 262 use the same dist. cap as a 308.and what do i need to do to put a slant six dist. in with chrysler electronic

20. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Yes the 262and 308 use the same distributor. The whole unit will interchange. The easy thing to do is to put Petronix in it. It is a lot less hassle and is just as reliable. Hud

21. Happiness is a Hot Rod Hudson! I have a 1951 Hudson coupe with a 1954 308 with twin-H,with all the 7x up-grades,with Nitrous,9" rear end,4 wheel disc brakes! Iota of open roads to have Fun on here in Montana! Good to see another Hudson owner! Uncle Bill

22. 46HudsonPU

46HudsonPU
    from DELMARVA

Another option (besides the Petronix electronic ignition conversion) is conversion to the GM HEI distributor - Ron Fellows (HET Club) converts your original distributor to the GM HEI. A bit expensive (around $300 & shipping), but it is another alternative.

23. GrimGreaser

GrimGreaser

If you're handy, you can trigger a GM HEI or Ford TFI module with the original points. I can dig up my bookmarks or you can use Google.

I'm using a HEI module on my 308.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Studegator

Studegator

Uncle Bill, You have me intriqued! Which head are you using on the 308?
    Standard or auto? I would love to see you and the 51!

25. sanfran50

sanfran50

petronix makes 3 different 6 cyl. units which one do i use on my 262...thanks

26. Studegator

Studegator

Call up pertronix and tell them which distributor you have. Look at the ID tag on it. They will tell you which one to use. Very helpful.

27. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

try 21st Century Hudson. they have both 12v and 6v units. reasonable price. Hud

28. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

I just picked up a Edmunds head and intake. I found out it was Hudson. I don't know much about them. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Island Flats likes this.
  29. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

That is a good score. If you are interested in getting rid of it, you need to go over to classidcar.com and post it up. Someone over there would be interested in them.

30. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

Not sure I'm wanting to sell it. I'm just looking at finding out more info on it. Like what years it fits and different motor sizes.