Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 2000 cars aging in Western Kansas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kansas Old School, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

I have heard rumors about this place for quite some time, and wasn't sure it even existed. Most of the old car collections I have seen are gone, either closed by environmentalists, picked over, or crushed out. I visited this place last Saturday with my 10 year old son, and couldn't believe it. This western Kansas gentleman had over 2000 cars resting on his ranch. He has been collecting for 60 years. He doesn't sell parts off these cars, but is willing ton sell some complete cars. I told him about the HAMB so maybe he will become a member. His place is registered as a museum, to keep local establishment at bay. He was very generous to show us his collection, so I thought I would share with my HAMB friends. I will soon go back out and get more info, but for now here areb a few pictures. He doesn't have any 57 chevy converts or such, just general cars that people drove. He saved them from the crusher. Also maybe a thousand or so tractors.

Attached Files:

2. Slimmey

Slimmey

Interesting place isn't it. He is a hell of a nice guy. Did he give you a history leason on the area? If not ask next time you are out there. I bought a '32 Plymouth frame from him some years back. I did see he had some of his tri 5 chevy's on Nextech last week (4dr/ht & sd's).

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

I had called him about a 55 chevy he had listed. I didn't think any of these places are still around. Look forward to going back, and maybe buying a couple of them.

4. Slimmey

Slimmey

Have you checked o'l Hank's place out east of Dodge? Mostly late 30's through mid 60's. If you do, never try to low ball him or you will get run off. Mostly just sells complete only also. Used to have quite a group of tri-5 also. Nice guy if you give him the respect he deserves though.

5. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

send me some contact info on him, Id like to go by. You can pm it if you want, thanks

6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Is there a website....or an address?

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics. so many places like this disappearing. sheet metal looks pretty good considering years of snow, etc.

8. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Cool find.

You guys got me to thinking about an old yard, but I have completely spaced out all of the info.

It was up around Dodge City/Pratt?, think the guy had a little story about him or something on Hemmings? Something about an A truck, that he wouldnt let go of? The place was kind of off an old blacktop county road.

I went up and visited him some years back. lots of 30's Chevy's there, a sedan delivery, that I have pics of somewhere.

Was looking for a 34 Chevy truck at the time. He had a few there but no beds. Also his prices were "what will you offer me". I kind of dropped the ball on all of that, I was a little short on cash at the time, and I didnt want to insult him.

The man was in his 80's? Said he had some kids in Kansas, but they had no interest in any of it. Think he would have talked to me all day, if I hadnt had to leave. I have no clue where it is anymore, and sometimes wonder if he is still doing ok.

Not to derail you guys, and it may even be the place Slimmey mentioned. But I'd sure be interested if anyone has any info.

9. KansasOldtimer - thanks for posting......

and Slimmey - you made a good point.....most folks are insulting us all out of the old yards....

10. It's great to find these places. There are still a few in Colorado as well.

11. Kansas old school, is that near Wakeeny?
    How far east of Dodge City is the other one?
    I know of two in Great Bend and one in Milton, NE...
    Two other ones in NE have been sold off.....

12. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Nope. None of these places in KS. Move on, nothing to see here. OT,Delete thread. Shhhhhh:confused:

13. '48IHC

'48IHC

How far into western Kansas is it? As far as Goodland ? Colby? I'm from a very small town called Idalia CO. We are about 15 miles from the Kansas boarder. Would love to just go take a look at the place..

14. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

You can google the address its 30255 E. Guy Reed Rd. Kalvesta KS

15. shadams

shadams

I found it but in Cimmaron KS, unless there is another stash on a st names E guy reed. Really cool on google maps.

Makes me want to start buying old iron and stashing it on my ranch....

16. Wow, that is quite a collection. Some appear to be late 30s from the aerial shot.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

Stapletons 11525 Lariat way Dodge city. I'd say 60 acers of cars most 1950-65

18. HankReed

HankReed

He sells an old car for the price of an ounce of gold.

19. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

20. HankReed

HankReed

Thats firsthand. Algelina Jole,cause if she want to adopt me,I will sure let her!