Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 Transmission question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Txkahuna, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Txkahuna

Txkahuna
    from Texas

I just bought a Chevy 350 with a 700r4 trans. The engine is going to be carbed and I'm getting rid of all the fuel injection and sensor stuff! What do
    I have to do to the 700r4 to work with the engine w/o all the sensors and
    computer stuff?

2. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Call Bowtie overdrive in calif.
    Great people, they can help you

3. Fenders

Fenders

If it's a 700R4 or 4L60 (and not a 4L60E) you don't have to do anything but hook up the TV cable correctly.

I've got a '92 Chev V6 in my rod that came with a 4L60 (new name for the 700R4). I took off the EFI and carb'd it (4 bbl Holley), and that's all I did. Works fine.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Might also want to set up the wiring for the Torque Converter Clutch so it engages as it shifts into 4th gear (or some other setup), so you might want a converter clutch wiring kit, or do some research and figure out how to do it using parts that are already inside the transmission. It's been a while, but it has something to do with having a pressure switch in the proper place on the valve body, and wiring it properly.

The speedometer can be fun too, if the transmission has an electronic sensor instead of gears.

5. mtrmike

mtrmike

I have a 4l60 in my 55 Chevy. For the speedo I used a speedo gear holder from a later 350TH and new plastic gears, drive and driven, in the correct ratio, with a regular cable. There is a lot of different types of wiring in the 4L60 and 700R4s. Check the schematics. I only had to hook up 1 wire for my lockup in 4th gear.

6. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

I agree with HRBOB34 get with bowtie overdrives @ 760-947-5240 or at www.bowtieoverdrives.com. I bought a 700 R4 from them for my 30 Model A P/U with a sbc 350. These folks are great to deal with for help and any questions you may have.

7. trickyspark

trickyspark

8. bowtieoverdrive.com is the best place. It use to be 700R4.com and their tech is invaluable. Setting the TV cable correctly will make everything smooth. If you do not start there you will fight it forever.