Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects finally got my long desired 34 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Jul 19, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I installed the arm for the cowl vent .
    It works great.
    Also I attached the windshield regulator to the windshield frame. I'm working on a bracket to hold the regulator itself. I plan on making a 16ga sheetmetal backing plate and binding it to the lip of the cowl for the dash to bolt through. It will be bent like an angle with the holes in it for the regulator. I will post pics of that once it's done.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391867351.947132.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

hell ya nice work... Getting down to the wire...

3. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I woke up at 4 am with a genius idea for my dash brackets and crank out mount ! So I spent a few hours and knocked it out today ! It's all bonded in and is absolutely perfect...

And thanks to a fellow hamber , I made a deal on a repairable deck lid.....!
    she is really coming together

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391915449.181540.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391915477.210440.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391915493.174946.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391915507.509718.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391915530.406839.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391915543.325786.jpg

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

A few hours later I removed all the clamps and reassembled windshield regulator and frame. I need to get the correct pin for the hinge on the end of the regulator. But it works fantastic. The dash slips over the inner frame very well. I was slightly worried after having it all glued in place. I double and triple checked it before hand.
    I'm very happy how this turned out. This is what really makes the difference on a glass car
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391926657.957401.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391926679.036438.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391926690.935704.jpg

5. daddio211

daddio211

6. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya nice work ben...... good hands.

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Dash is reinstalled. One small issue is since they leaned the windshield frame back, it also leans the crank out mechanism back . So it changed the angle of the shaft for the handle . But it's only of by a few degrees. Hopefully when I get a knob for it , it will still work ok and not rub the dash. The shaft is nicely centered in the dash opening though
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391967447.080270.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391967500.686645.jpg

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

A guy give me an original glove box knob that was broken. So I ran to the hardware store and grabbed a large wood knob. Chucked it into my 1/2 drill and used as a wood late. I spun a new one out quickly with a piece of sand paper
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391975894.414858.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391975906.168958.jpg

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

To add to the list for today. I previously made kick panel structures that held the striker bolts also. I bonded those In also, reinstalled the striker bolts after a few hours of drying. Both doors close like a new car..
    I'm itching to get the glass made and fit the outer skins. That will be the biggest "progress" ever. Kinda like spraying the new coat of paint on, that really shows all your hard work ..
    Getting exciting!

10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

First off I want to say you have two damn nice cars. Over the last couple weeks I have read through both of your builds the A coupe which is really badass and the 34 you are building now and so far I have seen nothing but good craftsmanship I do have one thing I would like to suggest on this project and that is some suicide safety pins. As a person with some experience of a door blowing open at 70 mph on a 34 coupe I strongly suggest you put some safety pins in just to keep all the good work you are doin in good order.
    Next I fully understand your using a glass car as a guy who has Willys stuff (a 40 pickup and several sedans all steel of course) I really get it I would like a coupe but they are just way too pricey for me so I will probly do the same thing you are doin.
    Finally I really dig your style of car but wanted to share a pic of my favorite 34 coupe of all time and it just screams hot rod I know it's probly not what your all about but I figure you can get it. Keep up the good work

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392016634.751615.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

wrenchbender:
    you have a good idea.
    ive been contemplating installing a set. i havent figured out how i want to do it yet, wether i want to incorporate them into the door, or into the kick panel. im thinking about making them in the door, basicly just a slide rod in some sort of track that goes horizontally. it will be low down by the floor, to where you can reach down and slide in and out, the pin with go through the door edge and ino the the 1/4 plate i have bonded into the kicker panel area.
    One thing to consider also is, i run a new style bear claw latch. not the old factory style that are known for coming undone. but thats irrelevant. i would perfer a safty pin just because we are going to drive this thing 70-80 mph on some rough roads and intersates.
    That orange coupe is ignorant. it does not have to be original style to be bad ass.! its a nice car for sure. the stance is killer

12. some idea's for your safty door pins....simple but not exactly hidden...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jay

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

mad:
    thats the best idea ever! simple as hell and still looks good. a nice hardend st of 3pt hitch pins from tractor supply and some plasma cut brackets. DONE!
    thanks man!

14. Glad I could have been of help.......I wasn't sure if it was you wanted, because I thought you may have wanted them hidden.

Really love what your doing with your coupe, lots of really good idea's and excellent fabrication skills too......your really gonna be hard pressed to tell it's not a factory car!

If I may, I would like to take some of your idea's and use them in some of my builds.

Thanks for taking the time to keep this tread updated with good explanations of your work and the photo's to make it all clear.

Jay

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

madmechanic
    thank you! im trying to do it justice. i already drew up the brackets for the doors. man i love the simplicity and the looks of it.. that gives it the race car feel also...

this week the car will be getting blocked down and im going to shoot it a satin black industrial primer that we use at work. this will help me line up body panels and really see what areas need the attention! its going to look killer with the black on it.
    im going to have to keep telling myself that i want to paint the car! not jsut flat black this time.

16. With all this extra work you've done to make this car look factory, it will be a damn shame if it don't get a gloss paint job!...i'm not a fan of flat black, I think its been done to death, certainly has been over here anyway!

It will look a totaly different car with the black primer on it though....

after saying I dont like flat black i do really like this one though............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jay

17. painkiller

painkiller

Is that bracket, mad mechanic posted, something that you are going to whack you knee on everytime you get in or out?

18. I did think that...what if you hinged it, you could fold it back away from the opening?

Jay

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

My thoughts after painkiller mentioned that . The wife would love a busted up knee. I think ill hinge it. That will make it easier

20. Great minds!

I suppose if you hinge it a few inches into the kick panel, when it folds out it would lay against the A pillar and be supprted by that and not flex out towards the outside of the door.
    I would put a short pin in the kick trim to hold it back out the way when you dont need to use it, and hook it to the door when on the freeway....or attach a poper to the bracket and kick trim or maybe velcro...that my look naff unless you cover the hinged bracket with the soft side of the velcro..depends on the colour of your trim really....
    'ark at me going on!
    sorry mate your car...
    just thinking out loud really

Jay

21. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I'm thinking the dual pin idea! Hey now thinking out loud is brainstorming which makes ideas and thoughts actually work! It helps

22. Well if anyone can make an idea work it's you, especialy with your skills!

someone like's my idea who'd a thunk it! lol

Really interested to see what you come up with....pictures please when your done

Jay

23. And a lanyard or very small bungee cord to retain the hitch pin so it does not get lost during use.

24. 48bill

48bill

Don't over think it. Put the plate on the door and the ring in the kick panel.

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I decided that's the plan
    I run bear claw latches so it's not that big if a concern but I'll install them for safety .

I spent 2 hours today hammering a passenger side glass channel into shape.. It finally works good. I'm just worried sick that they may pop off track and the door will be screwed up with the skin glued on.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392168186.547168.jpg

Ohhhhh an thanks to a fellow hamber, I now have a rough steel deck lid to reskin and make all shiny new .

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392168297.702148.jpg

And I found a new seat . It's from a 35 or 36 but it has the right look

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392168312.846087.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392168342.030461.jpg

Atwater Mike likes this.
  26. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Doing a great job Ben
    Hope to see it this summer. Maybe Eds BBQ or be great to see you guys at our show again.

27. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Good thing I wasn't drinking anything while I read this or I would need a new keyboard.:D

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

You bet! You will see a decent size group of us over your way this year . We had a great time last year at eds, the spin out, and my favorite , the rust belt revival. That was a great location to have that show

29. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Hell ya going to roll full force withe the pre war stuff this year...

30. alchemy

alchemy

If you can't get all the parts out of your door when the skin is on, you need to redesign that stuff. Cut a big hole on the side panel at the bottom, just like Henry did. Expecting all the window stuff to never need fixing is fixing yourself up for failure.