Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 chevy trans leak at bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sickiee32, Feb 9, 2014.

1. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

ANYONE EVER HAVE A TRANS LEAK AT THE BELLHOUSING OF A 235 AND A 3 SPEED STOCK TRANS IN A 1954 CHEVY?? LEAKING RIGHT OUT OF LITTLE HOLE OF THE BOTTOM OF THE BELLHOUSING....:confused::confused::confused:

2. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

its a 1954 chevy 210 2dr

3. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

Very likely the rear main bearing seal. It can be replaced without pulling the engine/trans but it ain't fun. IMHO, if it isn't leaking a much and isn't getting on your clutch, you might just run it for a while (keep check on your oil level). It's your call. A lot of Chevy 6 cyl's have this problem.

4. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

how do I know if it's in my clutch ?? a lot of chatter I would get ???

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

anyone ??

6. Erics53

Erics53
    from Ohio

I agree with '41 Chev. I have a 53 and my car had a bad leak near the bellhousing. My rear main seal was bad. If you put your finger in the leaked fluid, you should be able to tell if it is gear oil or engine oil.

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

If you get oil on the clutch it will slip......

8. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

it looks clear like gear oil ....

9. gas pumper

gas pumper

There is no oil seal in the nose of the trans I am pretty sure. It's maybe just a slinger washer near the bearing. But maybe you are overfull with oil or park on a downhill slope?
    Or the bearing retainer is loose and leaking from the bottom of it where the gasket should seal it.

More than likely the engine rear seal or even seeping around the crankshaft to flywheel bolts. Could even be the Cam seal plug or one of the pipe plugs that are back there. Are you sure it's gear oil?

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The transmission countershaft (cluster gear shaft) bore is subject to leaking as well. Not saying that IS the problem, only that it, too, is a possibility among the many mentioned so far.

11. iron shaper

iron shaper
    from Savage, Md

I just pulled the 235 from my 53 bel air. It to was leaking from the small hole in the bell housing, But I did find that it was coming from the engine and not the transmission, do to the engine running out of oil. I found the rear main seal in the bearing cap was bad. Also the part in the bearing cap was like a woven rope and the part in the block is rubber, not sure if thats the way it should be or some one just put in what they had. The back of the flywheel was covered in oil, but the clutch was still dry. But what a oily mess under the car.

12. stimpy

stimpy

take a wiff , gear oil should smell like sulpher . engine oil has its own unique smell .

if you get it on the clutch it will slip and smoke . and once on the material it has to be replaced with the cover , no real way to clean it off . the flywheel will have to be resurfaced also .

13. Road Runner

Road Runner

If its gear oil, its normal for the bell housing bottom cover to drip lightly.
    The throw-out bearing of the clutch is lubed via a 3/32" hole on the transmission's clutch shaft collar.
    It will leak more when you park nose down on an incline.

That's why the bell housing cover has a hole at the bottom, so gear oil can drain.
    You just have to top off transmission fluid, depending on your mileage.

With synchro-mesh transmissions make sure to use GL-4 rated gear oil, because of the brass parts in it.