Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage MORE SUEDE PALACE Shots From 2014 GNRS - Alex Does It Again!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jan 31, 2014.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

As if there wasn't enough coverage of the Suede Palace, here's some more. Alex did another great job pulling it off. It was seriously packed in there!

Here are some, but there are even more shots, just click HERE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

nice pics dirty hero

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nice coverage

5. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Nice to pics, wasn't there ! Thanks

6. krome

krome

7. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great pics Kirk! I like when you include the owners names. Thanks for sharing.

8. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Too bad it's becoming more of the "Painted" Palace now. Some really nice cars in there unfortunately a bit too nice for that particular building! It needs to get back to it's namesake of the "suede" deal before it's too late!

9. I absolutely loved this car. To me, it was too nice to be in the Suede Palace. That's not degrading to any of the other cars in the building, but this one was something special.

I think that the intent of the Suede Palace has gotten off-track with the addition of cars like these. It used to be the under construction or slightly rough cars were in there, but now, there's full-blown show cars. I'm not upset, but they should have a separate building for the traditional cars like this and a separate place for the rougher cars like the Palace used to be.

10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

For years, Goodguys and other major street rods shows would park us in some back lot at their shows, so for the most part ,a lot of the socal. traditional car clubs would do our own shows. When John Buck moved the G.N.R.S. to Pomona, he was the first street rod show promoter to let us have a building, and for this, we are very grateful.
    It was never about primer but more a case of having a traditional hot rod or custom, it 's just that most of us did'nt have the money or the skills to paint our cars back then, these are not check book cars, most of us did our own work and I am happy to say that it is more a case of having evolved and trying to make our cars as nice as we can.
    We did win the war, if you walked the other buildings, 50 % of the cars were traditional hot rod and customs and I think that in our small way, we have influenced the street rodders .
    There is nothing wrong with a nice primer or suede car, and a survivor with nice patina should be left alone, but to say that we are mistaken in trying to make our cars as nice as we can, limits our creativity when building a traditional hot rod or custom.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Good for you. Your attitude is as traditional as your car. No, really.

12. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Miguel very well said!
    The same guys who started putting unfinished or suede cars in this building several years ago are THE SAME GUYS whos skills have developed- now we paint and finish our own cars.

when unfished suede cars were all the rage thats what we did because we didnt have the skills or $ to do any different. If the Suede palace didnt change with the times it wouldnt be a cool place any longer.

But to the OP I agree to the extent that pro built cars in that building dont belong. (not refering to Lomas car, just in general)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well put Miguel and Mr Musico. Guys skills improve and their cars improve and added to that they may not want to leave the comfort of that room.
    nic
    One other thought is how long have some of those "too nice" cars been on the road? They may not be fresh show cars but damned well kept cars that are driven on a regular basis that the owners don't consider to be fresh enough to show in the big rooms.

Back to the regular programming:

Great photos Kirk as we can always expect and a big thanks for taking the time to take and share them.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Personally I'm fine with everything that was in there. It's about traditional stuff.

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great shots as usual. I really, really miss your work in Goodguys magazine. The photography there has gone horribly flat since the change (in my opinion anyway).

LOVE the Bo Huff '56! Amazing!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Just gotta ask about the "patina" on this Ford..........

Original faded paint with clear?
    Original faded paint with wax?
    Sumpin' else altogether?

Attached Files:

17. Kirk is pretty much my hero. Again, wonderful photography!

18. torchmen49

torchmen49

Well said Kirk.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ha ha! Thanks!

20. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Nice shots KIRK!!

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

Thanks!

22. Your photos are always fantastic. Thank you for sharing.
    Later,
    Dick

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

Thanks!