Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Brake light switch burning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lanemarvin, Feb 8, 2014.

1. lanemarvin

lanemarvin

I have a '59 Edsel Ranger and my brakes randomly stopped working, I used the parking brake to get it stopped and I noticed the brake light switch was burning, I unplugged the 2 wires and the brake fluid was boiling. Anytime I try to plug them back in it just keeps smoking. A few hours later, the car seems to be braking fine without the wires plugged in, I think the wires were just overheating the switch and boiling the fluid. I'm probably going to drain and fill up the brake fluid and replace the switch. Has anybody had any similar experiences?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Id say your swith is shorting...

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That was very common with the brake switches that work on brake fluid pressure. The fluid gets into the switch and usually it blows the fuse. They have been known to cause fires.

4. lanemarvin

lanemarvin

Yea I noticed a tiny bit of fluid leaking out around the switch, I'll order a new one tonight and bleed the brakes tomorrow

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You might consider just plugging the switch orifice and using a mechanical switch. More work than just replacing the defective pressure switch, but mechanical switches tend to be less troublesome.

6. I'm a wondering why it didn't blow a fuse?

7. lanemarvin

lanemarvin

Yea I thought about it, I'm just buying the normal switch tomorrow, and maybe I'll change it to a mechanical some other time, I just don't have time to retrofit a mechanical one right now. At least it's a cheap fix

8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 57 ford that kept blowing in line brake switches , it didn't blow fuses etc. I eventually fitted a relay and problem solved. Never found out why but no more blown switches anyway.

9. wizzard23

wizzard23

I have an in line switch on my roadster. It seems to need replaced every 4 or 5 years. Just quits working.

10. Replacement switch?........Chink junk?

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The worst thing about it is the brake circuit is often unswitched so there is power to it at all times. Vehicles burn while sitting, like newer Ford explorers that used one on the cruise control. These switches have always been a problem. It has to have a movable diaphragm or piston to allow it to trip a switch at the set pressure and maintaining a seal with brake fluid under pressure is tricky.

12. stimpy

stimpy

Yes I know about this lost my o/t 96 to a cruise control switch fire , the replacement vehicle got recalled 12 years later and they replaced the switch and also have a inline fuse that will go , I wired it so a relay is in control of the circuit now so key on circuit on , key off its off .

My 50 I am going to wire the same way .

13. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

No, Mex junk. Says so right on the box. Just bought one for a '54 Ford pu. i'm doing. From NAPA. Hope it doesn't burn the old girl to the ground.

14. Who knows who wired what or how.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  15. I hate hydraulic brake light switches. A mechanical brake light switch for a '67-'72 Ford pickup is readily available at any good parts store and easily adapted to anything with hanging pedals.