Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tunes without CDs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60olds98, Feb 6, 2014.

1. I know. I know. There's a thread on this already, but it got confusing. I just want to be able to play tunes in my car from my MP3 player. I'm not looking to conquer the world with this. Right now I have no radio but I do have Bose speakers from an Eldorado. Here's my question: Is there an amp out there (less than $100) that is 4-channel and can have a remote volume control?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Use two less than $50 stereo amps, and there's a volume control on your mp3 player?

or use one $100 stereo amp, and wire the speakers together front and rear

3. IronTrap

IronTrap

I've been using a bluetooth, rechargeable speaker in my cars the past couple years. Works well and you can hide it under the seat or switch it between cars when need be. They can be had on Amazon and similar sites for $100 or less. Leaves the dash/interior looking period correct and less wiring to add or modify on the vehicle!

-Matt

4. johnod

johnod

There was a link in the other thread to a complete unit from Crutchfield for about $100 as I recall.
    I used it, works fine for me.

5. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

I will be using Kicker stuff in my car when ready. Yea, it is a little more, but I like my music and I like it loud.

http://www.kicker.com/pxi502

6. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

Also, what Squirrel said is true, you can wire the front and rear speakers together, but make damn sure you are using a good amp. 2 ohm stereo makes an amp play hot.

7. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I got one of a motorcycle amp and speaker and made a brkt to remove it when I wanted to swap it from car to car or put it in the shop to listen to tunes.It was about $100 and it has everything in it

8. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

You should explain to the younger generation what an eight track is, I know what they are , but they are prehistoric stuff ! They might not even know what a cassette tape is ? Does your 8 track play still or just eat the tapes ?

9. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Any 4 channel auto audio amp will work. Use the volume on your MP3 and get the RCA to 3.5mm headphone adapters. You will need RCA splitters to turn 2 channel into 4.

10. luckystiff

luckystiff

the problem with using the volume on the mp3 player is distortion can be a common problem. setting the mp3 at a peak volume and them using a remote "gain" control for the amp or a seperate preamp reduces or eliminates this.

with that said amps with remote gain are easy to find. a 3 second yahoo search lead me to this one for $99...... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43130_Hifonics-GLX60.4.html
    i'm a little biased as i actually worked for HiFonics back in the mid 90s. while they have lessened their lines since it's still pretty decent product for the money and at the above price i'd call it a bargain. wireless remotes units are available but the people i know who have tried them all say they are a pain as the range of the remote requires you to fumble around as much or more than the wired remote which can be easily hidden...ken...

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Series up the front left and rear left and you will have 8 ohm impedance, which will work just fine. Do the same on the right side.

12. squirrel

squirrel

I notice it works better if I set the gain on the amp a bit higher, and reduce the volume of the mp3 player. less "chopping" that way.

You do need to experiment with it.

oh d2 thanks for mentioning series speaker wiring...I was going to but never got around to it

13. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I bought a Sound Storm utv2 setup at a swap meet.Has volume control and speakers and amp for $100.Plug MP3 in and hear tunes

14. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

then you only use half the amps power....

15. luckystiff

luckystiff

exactly. the remote "gain" lets you either a) set the mp3 to it peak volume and then use only the remote knob as you volume control. or b) find a happy medium and have some adjustability on both. i personally think it's best to run the mp3 to it's peak then back off of it a little 10-20% or so, then set your normal volume via the gain. some will say dial back the mp3 25% or more and then set the gain.

i've got a nice high end kenwood cd player with Ipod/Iphone interface that i bought 5-6years ago and my Ipod died before i used it. remote for the stereo controls ALL aspects and all components. i built a suitcase stereo with the head unit and used it for 1 trip otherwise it's sat in the closet gathering dust....ken...

16. Boosted54

Boosted54

Although it only uses half the amps power it will take twice as much power to get the same volume level as a 4ohm load.

17. Boosted54

Boosted54

The "chopping" you are hearing could be clipping and will damage the driver, you can buy a real cheap clip indicator at radio shack to be sure you dont damage anything.

18. Boosted54

Boosted54

Setting your gain structure starts with you source unit to find out at what point it clips (could clip at half volume) then on to your next piece, in this case your amp output. Just play it safe, dont want to roach any gear.

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

20. madmak95

madmak95