Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bubbletops. Show Rods. Pics. Facts. More pics.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gamlebilrokker, Oct 25, 2013.

1. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

Looks great! Good luck with your project

2. I am looking forward to reading about this one! It looks like you are doing a great job on the fabrication, that is a nice looking part out of the mold. Are you still on schedule for this summer? I cant wait to see it! Thanks for sharing the sneek peak.

3. Yes I think I can be done sometime this summer. Chassis went together really quickly, only took about 3 months. I only get to work on it on Sundays but I put in 14 hr days w/ no lunch breaks. Have been working on the body for about 3 months but then it should take a little time to build an entire car body! I made a finished body in wood and plaster, painted it gloss catalyzed urethane and am taking a multi-piece mold off that in which I will make a body. This is much safer than spending that time and screwing up a one off 'spit-wad' body only having to start all over. If I mess up this shell, I can make another in my mold. Incidentally I made the fiberglass tilt up hood from the original sheet metal for the Willys coupe in my avatar. I am laying up the last two panels tomorrow, might make the body next Sunday if I can get the mold in condition over the week. Assembly pace should pick up speed once the body is done. Only big thing left on the chassis is make a couple ring inserts for the axle tubes for smaller diameter axle seals. I adapted Ford 9" axles to the old banjo and turned the ends of the axle tubes for seals for large bearing axles then realized I have small bearing ones. No biggie.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. verde742

verde742

Love to see Norwell Draw a picture of most of these cars with just a windshield, NOT a Bubble.

Like the Beatnik Bandit, with a windshield or air deflector.

5. ghostworks

ghostworks

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397751703.459034.jpg Just an update for ya...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. abone1930

abone1930

Dude my Favorite of all Ed roths car. Mysterion is awesome, Shutten did the clone? Are you going to try to make both motors run, are you changing that up?

7. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

Lookin good ghostworks!!!

8. ghostworks

ghostworks

Thanx

9. V818

V818

We just finished the T-bird :)

Attached Files:

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

One from classic children's television I'm surprised hasn't turned up on this thread:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  11. RamJet1

RamJet1

Always loved Fab 1, good call.

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Early "bubble" top:
    [​IMG]1914 Mors three-wheeler.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and 1947knuck like this.
  13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The FAB1! Custom Rolls Royce from the early sixties, so I guess that makes it sorta HAMB-friendly.

14. Yes Dave's car is a great piece of work. His of course was not built to run, no internals in the engines, the throttle linkage doesn't look functioal. The original Mysterion never ran either. I am pretty sure Ed never hooked up the brakes based on the limited photo evidence I have collected and on a story elsewhere on HAMB of how the car coasted out of control (sounded ike an E-ticket ride!)when it broke free while being loaded onto a truck.

I am going to only run one of the engines, the other is hollowed out and has an alternator inside it. I think one 390FE should be able to move the car! I sat in it last week with everythign mocked up and I think I can drive it. Not good for cross-country travel, mind you, but I think I will be able to motate around show grounds.

15. Zenbone

Zenbone

Bubble tops are the coolest of the cool to me. I always thought it would be really cool to build a 32 hiboy with a bubble top. Maybe have a split window with the first 1/3 of the window is stationary and the back 2/3rds of the bubble roll back and tuck behind the seats as a bubble top convertible combo. Living in florida roofs are a must, my hiboy is going to have to have some type of retractable roof.

16. coupe15

coupe15
    from NC

Hello Ian, I really enjoy your show and I learn so much watching you work. I'm old school to I fix my own parts and fabricate a lot of parts that work. I don't like nobody messing with my cars either. Some people just don't like a work of art.

chryslerfan55 and BigO like this.
  17. Little Mick in Australia built the Moonrunner, so I guess we over here in New Zealand had to build one or two as well.
    I know of a couple of projects being built, and as far as I know, this is the first to be finished.
    Builder is Luke Ennion. 14788614446_bbb17dbf17_b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  18. JimSibley

JimSibley

Love this post!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes, indeed, I was towing it up a ramp, the chain slackened and it rolled down a steep ramp, no brakes and the steering was impossible to control. It zig-zagged to a stop at the bottom with no damage.

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

I'd be rubbing the bubbles, all the time, on this car....makes me think of boobs ;-)

Attached Files:

21. Gamlebilrokker

Gamlebilrokker
    from Denmark

Niiiiice!

22. It wasn't that car... but I know which one you're referring to and I took pictures of it in my friends parking lot.

I'll try to find them.

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

Those pipes are beautiful!

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. Is this the one you're referring to? Not quite a "Bubble Top" per say... but unique!

c 1.jpg c 2.jpg

chryslerfan55 and 1947knuck like this.
  25. Yep, the CyclOtron. Victoria plates. Built/ owned? by 'Cycle Gear'. It starred in the '77 Adelaide & Melbourne Rod Shows.
    The yellow & white bike looks to be a sister to the yellow & white Little Mick car.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

awesome thread!
    Moriartys Futurian my favourite. Saw Shuten's Astrosled buildup on a Mad Fabricator DVD.
    The Cyclops trike, was in the movie Mad Max.

chryslerfan55 and kiwijeff like this.
  27. Yeah, this is it. Thanks a bunch for finding the pics. You're right, not a real bubble top like I what I thought it was...it was a long time ago.
    But anyway, cool! Is it still around and know any stories about it like who built it?

28. Apparently it's still in the Milwaukee/ Waukesha area but it's faded from public view !

29. The car that you saw was the Besasie X-1. Don't know anything about the whereabouts.
    Here is some info.
    Curt R

TheMilwaukee XCars
    1955-1969 X-1 X-2 X-3 & X-4
    E
    xperimental cars built by Besasie Engineering, the X-3 was driven around the Milwaukee area for many years and displayed at the EAA Fly-IN several times. This car features a sliding roof, 1957 Chevrolet chassis and an Oldsmobile 455 V-8 with TH-350 transmission, it was 1 of 4 cars built over the years in Milwaukee by Raymond Besasie Sr.. The Sister car, 'X-4' featured a fixed roof, power windows, 1963 Chrysler 413 'Golden Lion' engine and chassis. The original Push-button transmission was converted to lever operation. Both cars were equipped with altimeters, note the absence of a steering wheel on both cars. The driver sits in the middle, controlling the steering with a type of Retro-joystick, neat-o ! The X-2 featured a rear mounted 56 Cadillac engine with two radiators and 3/4 race cam. Styling was conceived by Raymond's Son. The car was featured in a Clark gasoline commercial in the early 60's. This car, like the others had the driver in center position with passengers on either side. The whereabouts of the X-2 are unknown as of this writing. The first X-car was the 2 passenger X-1 or 'Barracuda' this car has been located "alive and well" in Wisconsin. The X-1 originally featured a 1953 Corvette drive train--Blue Flame 6 with side draft carbs. Today, the car has a modified Pontiac 389 V8, Borg Warner T-10 4 speed, and Pontiac rear end with 4:11 gears.

chryslerfan55, wingnutz and beebing like this.
  30. Curt, thanks a bunch!