Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 gmc first build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jordabennett, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadams

shadams

Nice..those valve covers look killer...

2. whoooa. looking sexxy

3. thanks boys. more to come today

4. cant wait

5. more progress;
    managed to plastic-gauge the rod caps and all looked great and within the desired space. got the timing chain, lifters rods and heads on and began to assemble the rest of the motor. long list of stuff to do tomorrow but hopefully ill have it dropped in and ready or close to fire
    just a few shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  6. yesterday i was able to some coverage on the motor. i got the tranny cleaned up, painted and mated to the motor. power steering setup and belts on. intake mounted. getting close now!!
    i cant stand looking at the firewall and brake booster. im going to have to do something about both very shortly. first off get is running!! here two quick shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  7. Didn't get much done today. but i pulled the box fenders and running boards off.
    going to clean up the rear frame and give it a coat of paint. relocate the battery so its not so visible.
    also going to make a nice bead rolled fire wall with copper rivets and make new inner fenders- inner box sides and a bulk head piece and with some nice bead rolling.
    heres a few shots as she stands today/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

until tomorrow (time to get it running)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. lookin good. I need a bagged truck again. and wanna bagg my 50. money money that's all

9. Just utilizing my time after word these past few evenings
    Just going through and connecting the unconnected and getting it preped for first start and cam break in. wrapped half the headers the keep some heat of the heads (probably should have just wrapped them all) but should help a little bit. i also purchased a brake/master set up for on the frame. i couldnt stand to look at that big ugly one much longer. now the fire wall will have nothing but nice beaded lines! and it was a ebay score that was too cheap to refuse!
    Working on this fan shroud for the malibu rad im going to run too.. first time with the bead roller as you can see haha. the throat on those suckers are pretty small for larger panels! add some rivets and sand it nice-clear coat and finished . i hope it does the job with how square it is for air flow...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    not the actual one but something similar
    [​IMG]

10. gonna be killer

11. little paint and and clear coat..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

time to mount and fire this thing up... finally!

12. Over the weekend i managed to get the cam broke in.. and got some ideas for rad support etc.
    ill upload some photos later.
    But right now im discussing paint.. its cheap to do through our paint rep and i want a change for spring.. question is what do our guys like better

first is a 2004 hyundai brown. bare in mind it will be a satin finish. but ive seen it before and it looks great!

[​IMG]

second is a 70s era brown that would also be a satin finish.
    both are considered a root beer color.
    [​IMG]

and last is this great looking dark Burgundy. its similar to mine but much darker. i would also consider painting wheels the same colour too.
    [​IMG]

what you guys think????

13. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

I like the LTD color

14. im with yeah!

15. I dig the color you have but satin brown will look good. im loving your build

16. just waiting for a paint code on the dark beachwood met!

17. Well i have got a little progress done, its been a busy week but i was able to remove to time and dial in the motor just before i pulled the cab today, hit it with some degreaser and gave it a good bath..
    Going to clean up all the wiring and air lines. paint the frame and get is ready to drop the body back on after some body work and paint.

heres a few shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. dcgrider51

dcgrider51
    from Pa

I like the valve cover and side cover. Were can they be bought? I am in the process of finding parts for my 270.

Thanks dcg

19. are you talking on the 248? those are one offs i believe by a company in washington that had made them as a gift

20. didn't take long for you to take that apart

edit: i went and began rereadin your thread again, its awesome to see how far you have came on this thing

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  21. hows the truck coming along?

22. Well my brake set up had finally arrived. i installed that, and started cleaning up all the wire and plumping. paint ordered. time to get back to work!

[​IMG]

Ohhh and i gots another project on the way too...
    [​IMG]

more details and photos coming shoon.

23. ohh lil hardtail action, I love bagged ADs and hardtails. good combo

24. yup should be a fun one

25. Diego-T

Diego-T

Awesome ride! Loving all the details as well, you have some great taste! Giving me courage to finally start doing something to my 53 GMC...

26. well hello there! just thought id through a few photos up! looks like we only ave until april 30th in our shop downtown as its zoned for demo on may 1st. so that lit a fire under my ass to get this thing done.. heres some progress.
    line lock installed.
    body work and paint (yes its staying in primer for now with clear added for durability)
    body on
    working on interior floor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

used the battey box access hole from the other side to put over the brake booster/master this way ill have easy access to it if needed

27. looking good man, sucks about your building. It don't look bad at all, cities can be so hard to deal with, makes you wanna just leave them. One good thing about having two locations is I'm in the city 3days a week, small town 4 days a week. Get to deal with both worlds. Good luck with the rest of the month.

28. not alot covered within the past few days, but i managed to finish up the floor patches and get the brake pedal where it needs to be.. bead rolled some lines and steps to make everything look matched
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    liquid motivation
    [​IMG]

29. nice man, looking good. gotta love micro brews too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.