Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marcshall, Feb 6, 2014.

1. marcshall

marcshall

my master cylinder has brake line ports on right and left sides, could i use one on the plugged side for my brake light switch, and would it matter which one ? thanks john

2. squirrel

squirrel

sure, why not? it should have the same pressure everywhere when you push the pedal. That's the magic of hydraulics.

3. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Please let us know what fitting(s) you use if you do this...Thanks!

4. pressure switches don't have a good reputation, mechanical is better.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

5. Fogger

Fogger

IMO Rusty is correct, buy an electric switch with an arm and make a simple bracket to mount it. I personally haven't had luck with hydraulic brake light switches.

6. Make sure you get one of the new low pressure switches if you decide to use a pressure switch. Most rod shops have the low pressure switches.

7. flat 39

flat 39

Do not use the $5.99 switch. Use a Motorcraft or Harley switch and you will not have any problem...

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a lot of truth to that. I lost track of how many Ford style parts house brake light switches I changed in the 48 during a 15 year period.

I'm going back to the stock Chevrolet truck lever action switch this time around. The pressure switch was one of those bright assed ideas that didn't work too well in my case.

Marcshal you are going to need a fitting that has a male replacement for the flair fitting in the port you use on one end and a female 1/8 npt fitting on the other end. I'm not sure if one exists but the brass fitting catalogs list a lot of odd ball fittings.

9. Badrodder

Badrodder

Use the port for the front brakes , especially if you have drum rears and disc fronts . Brake light will activate quicker ....

10. ^^^^ This. Too may guys go as cheap as cheap gets, then bitch to the stars on how they dont work.

11. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I was having problems finding a pressure a few months ago... Went to a local tractor parts supply store and got one from them... Works great but I really dont remember the brand on it... I say do it!!!

12. I put a pressure switch in 20+ years ago. I've never had a problem with it.

13. aaggie

aaggie

In my '40 Chevy I have both, the pressure switch turns on the brake lights and the lever switch cancels the lockup converter on the 700R4. Always buy the best you can especially if it is difficult to replace. Cheap parts tend to fail on the side of the road in the dark and when it's raining or cold.

14. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I use the GM style plunger switch under the dash on the brake pedal arm. Simple to install and adjust. You can get the switch just N.O or with both NO and NC contacts. These switches have to be in a dry environment .
    Think about the fact that GM and others developed parts like these switches to be dependable and they are. I bought one of the lever arm style mechanical switches once.....garbage ( IMO).

15. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

I use silicon brake fluid and it was going thru a pressure switch a year. My local Oriellys manager got me a replacement for an old 50s international pickup and that solved the problem. Ben in the car 3years +.