Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have a weird question about good cars/trucks for tall drivers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoneTexan, Feb 6, 2014.

1. For me -6' 3" with short legs-- the 68-87 El Caminos have more room than many of the regular pickups of that era.

2. models916

models916

3. Smokey2

Smokey2

4. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I'm with 40FORDPU, Im 6'4" and fit just fine in my '41 Dodge pickup which I drove many miles before i tore it apart. In fact I had extra room so I decided to chop 2.5" out of it. :D

Maybe my '41 Dodge feels big because I'm used to squeezing into my 5" chopped Model A :eek:

5. fsae0607

fsae0607

I'm 6' 1" and I fit in my '61 GMC okay, with the seat adjusted all the way back.

6. bdw515

bdw515
    from Oregon

I am 6'5" and daily drive my 64 C10 that's practically stock, still shifting on the column, and I do fine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. TexasDart

TexasDart

Ford and Dodge did some crew cabs and some supercrew cabs in some of the early trucks...ie...late 60s early 70s.

8. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

I wouldn't be welcome here if I got a truck from after 65 though lol. I already got griped at for showing my 73 F100. Don't really want anything that new anyway.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm 6'4" or 6'5". My 1959 Bel Air is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. Plenty of leg and head room. I'm also quite happy with my 1965 Econoline. Plenty of leg/head room again, but I have to be careful with the 3 on the tree shifter. My knee sometimes gets in the way. A slight heat & bend of the lever should take care of that.

10. I'm 6'4" and drive a 32 Ford pickup but I can relate to the knee pain. HRP

11. desotot

desotot

Some people do not bend in the middle as well as others and it gets worse with age.

12. What about an early El Camino?

13. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

And I'm only 24 I'm screwed lol

sent from the bathroom

14. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Only been in a 80s model with a cage and didn't fit not sure to be honest. I like the early models though.

sent from the bathroom

15. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

I'm 6'6" and have had no issues except with the smaller Fords - my Falcons and Comets I moved the seats back. A stock (interior, that is) 63 Fairlane I built a few years ago fit well. And my 53 Chevy pickup - with a stock bench - is no problem. Can I sit up ram rod straight? No - couldn't see the street lights. The only car I know I won't fit in is a factory five cobra - looked like an elephant riding a piss ant and could've never shifted gears - and I wouldn't build one of them anyway. Had to sit in it though:D.

And regardless, one day, 6'6" or not - I'm gonna build a 32 roadster and force it to fit me - they're too sweet not to.

Any full size pickup should be fine IMO.

Dan

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Checker Marathon:D

My '54 F100 is the only vehicle I own that doesn't require me to duck my head to enter/exit

17. International started building crew cabs that they named Travelette in 1957. This is our '68, this body style came out in 1961. I am 6'2 265Lbs and have plenty of leg/head room and the seat could be moved back more with a little modification.

Attached Files:

18. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Im thinking I may need to look for a 50 era F1 from what Im hearing...or a car.

19. I'm 6' 5" and have enough room in my '38 Ford pickup. Seat is a modified '86 Ford Tempo back seat. Fords have a little more room than other makes of that vintage. Used to have a second series '55 Chevy pickup, had plenty of room in it. '57-'60 Ford pickups are less popular than '53-'56 or '61-'66 body style, but they make nice trucks and the cabs are roomy.

20. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Thanks man appreciate it

21. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

Being 6'4" and 320 lbs there is a few cars I can't get into. I never had trouble driving a 65 C 10 on a trip or in town.

22. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I had a 56 Chrysler once. A Sasquatch would fit in that thing. It was hands down the most comfortable car I have ever experienced.

23. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

I had a '66 Ford crewcab and I'm 6'4". I drove it for 10 years and fit fine. I am building a '27 Track t that I fit into. Had to make the car fit me. Where there is a will there's a way.

24. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when i was still young and 6'2" i had to drive my 6'5" buddy home one night in his '62 vette. that's the only car i've ever driven where the seat went too far back! i had to operate the throttle, brake and clutch with my tip-toes. but, '62 vettes ain't cheap anymore.

25. My thought also.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

I just don't come across a lot of them, but I'm not buying right now just planning. There was a impala wagon I would have liked a little while back though.

Who knows what I'll find by the time I'm actually ready. Need to sell both my trucks, an my houseboat before I do much.

But figured it may pay to start getting a plan in order.

sent from the bathroom

27. Find a short bus..shorten it to 6'long and put a pickup bed in the rear..
    Anyone wana Photoshop that?

28. Squablow

Squablow

I had a '66 Suburban and that would be perfect for you, tons of headroom and put the seat wherever you like, but you'd have to wait until one comes along. There's a decent one local to me for sale for $3K, they're not nearly as easy to find as the pickups but they come around once in a while.

Mopar had a tag line for their Desoto models around 1950 that said "Room for 6 and tall hats!" Room for 6 was bullshit, they're not that wide, but the rooflines are super tall on the 49-52 Mopar cars, and they're usually pretty cheap too, not highly saught after by customisers/restorers. The 2 door sedans have crazy long doors too, very tall-guy friendly.

29. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

30. 1959apache

1959apache

Some guys are tall in the legs, others in the body... here is how you can fix either issue or both:

the head room and leg issue can resolved or at least mostly remedied with shaving the cushion of the seat (lowering how tall you sit in the truck/car). As far as the leg room from front to back in your truck, you will have to remove the gas tank (if in the cab), relocate it, and reduce the thickness of the back of the seat (you may need to get it shaved so there is some lumbar support). If you bring your truck in to a decent upholstery shop and tell them your issues they should know how to fix it. Another option, although not very HAMB friendly is to toss some bucket seats in instead of reducing your cushion thicknesses, thusly lowering your seat and pushing it back without it being incredibly uncomfortable. Plus you have the option of a center console