Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 pontiac upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old chevy nut, Feb 3, 2014.

1. old chevy nut

old chevy nut
    from va

hello, I have a 1949 Pontiac with factory straight 8 auto, I want to upgrade to a more modern v8 auto, does anyone make the engine mount convertion for these cars or must it all be fabbed? any info will help and thanks guys

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I doubt you will find any bolt in kit designed specifically for your chassis and whatever engine you choose. There are some universal engine mount frame brackets that can be adapted to various chassis/engine combinations.

What is commonly done in a project such as you are considering is that the new power train is set into the chassis first. It is positioned for best fit and clearance, correctly aligned with the chassis centerline ( the centerline of eng/trans must be parallel to vehicle centerline, but not necessarily ON the centerline). With the power train blocked in place it becomes clear what sort of supports are need to reach from the frame rails to the engine mounts.

At that point, either universal brackets can be modified to fit or cardboard patterns developed from which mount brackets can be fabricated.

For the transmission support, often the stock rear crossmember can be adapted to work with the new trans. Again, there are universal cross members available, or one can be fabricated.

3. I think Hnstray is right, but the particular vehicle you picked has a large engine compartment. Unfortunately, while the body shares much with it's Chevy counterpart, the chassis is very different, so adapters, mounts, etc for the Chevy won't work on the Pontiac. I used an 81 Monte Carlo front clip on my 50 Silverstreak to get disc brakes and power steering, but this requires quite a bit of fabrication, which I think you are trying to avoid. I'll include a couple pics to let you see how I approached this. one is the general engine position, the other is a bottom view of the trans mount I fabbed. Good Luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  4. havi

havi

Subscribing.

I'd be interested in the Monte swap. Got the same car coming home this Spring (after all this snow melts), and weighing my options. I plan to keep the engine, and adapt a newer trans only, though.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Adapting a later GM power steering box and a disc brake conversion, along with a rebuild of your stock suspension if needed, would be a far easier way to update than the deceptive looking "simple" frame clip. There is a lot more engineering required to adapt the clip, especially in the radiator support, front frame 'horns' for bumper mounting etc.

As for the transmission swap, that's a good idea. You may already know about Bendtsen's in MN, www.transmissionadapters.com , they make an adapter for the Pontiac engine to later GM transmissions, automatic & manual.

6. havi

havi

Yeah, at $995, I'm holding off on that approach right now. As far as the Monte clip, this Pontiac sat in the ground since 1965, so I'm think the chassis is about shot. Jacking up the rear, I could see the frame rail mushrooming behind the rear spring hanger, so I'm thinking the rust has thinned the metal. I'd prefer to keep it stock, but if the front is too far gone, then, well you get the idea. Just weighing options.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, serious frame rust puts this in a different category. As for Bendtsens, while not inexpensive, the quality is first rate. I bought an adapter for my Buick straight 8 to late GM.
    Very well made.

8. I did the Monte clip swap on my 49 poncho. Pretty straight forward and drove like a dream.

9. I've got plenty of pictures of the Monte swap - no, it wasn't really easy, but it can be done and the stock frame horns, etc go back on with a little engineering - really came out well for me. If you need help, I'll be glad to send pictures.

10. Havi, if you're wanting to keep the stock engine, you might be better off keeping the stock frame, beefing it up in the critical areas and fabbing a trans mount like I did. I think the Monte crossmember where the suspension mounts might be an issue with the straight 8, but I'm not sure.

11. stimpy

stimpy

the people who did my 2nd gen F clip job , only partially finished it and I have some work to do , I have to cut the frame horns to mount the bumper , and the radiator mount was installed straight instead of on a angle . the only good about it is I have the front steer, 11" big caprice brakes and lots of room on both sides of the engine for headers , but I have to mod the brakes back to where the heater was

12. havi

havi

I've been thinking about it off and on, and you're right, boxing the frame here and there might be the best solution.