Register now to get rid of these ads!

Backup Pickup Wheelstander

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DAVE SHUTEN, Jul 27, 2013.

1. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Dave's built some killer stuff, to bad we had to run him off!

2. CruZer

CruZer

Well said. I have been on here since the beginning and I can't remember a time when there were so many negative people on here. It seems like no matter what you say, someone is right there with negative comments.
    I don't check in as often as I used to because of that. This is suppossed to be a fun,informational place. What happened????

3. butti

butti

That attitude is not unique to this website. The internet is filled with know it alls who have an unhealthy obsession with telling other people why things cant be done.

Its the elitist attitude observed here by the same handfull of posters on a regular basis that is a big turnoff for me. This place is a great resource but healthy community it is not..

afaulk likes this.
  4. cayager

cayager

love the backup pickup. I do love this site for all the cool things you can find here. I don't care about a few big mouths that hide behind a keyboard. probably never accomplished much in their lives anyway.

afaulk likes this.
  5. abc123

abc123

I'm kinda late to this but here's my photo of it in action at the 1970 Fuel and Gas Championship on the Famosa drag strip near Bakersfield, CA.
    [​IMG]

6. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Had the pleasure of seeing the Backup Pickup in person at the GNRS this past weekend. The work performed on this truck is outstanding. Very few wheel standers from the era exist to see an example by way of a recreation takes nothing away from the Backup Pickup. To all involved you all dun good.

DAVE SHUTEN likes this.
  7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Wasn't this in the Galpin Auto Sports tent at the GNRS?

8. More than likely;Dave does a lot of work for them.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Totally agree Dave! Unfortunate that many of us miss out on some great builds because of the responses a few make here. Some seem to think it's pretty cool to be negative or rude.

10. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

Hello,
    First off I would like to apolgize for coming across in such a crass manner in my last statement here.I was not realizing that Dave was building an EXACT replica of the truck.
    I have seen pics of it on the internet and I will be the first to say that the truck is BEAUTIFUL.But I was coming from the angle of building a functioning wheelstander,built to run in the NHRA today what is 2014.
    I am not coming from a high horse but I do know how one of these things are put together and that this machine and the one that I am building are different animals,but I was thing it would just be nice to have another period wheelstander wheels up at 150mph.
    Would it not be cool to see an Econoline and A100 in 2014 on the line at Indy.

Chris

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don't worry about it Chris.
    Things are easily misinterpreted (sometimes by both sides!) on the Internet.
    No harm,no foul Brother.
    It takes a pretty big man to realize he has made a mistake,and an even bigger one to admit it.
    Don't think too much,and enjoy awesome ride that is the HAMB. :)

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

12. GNRS 2014 002.JPG I saw this truck at the GNRS, not only was it a very pleasant surprise to stumble across it in the Galpin Ford tent. But one of Dave's other projects was also in the tent.

Here is a picture, and by the way Dave amazing job on both of them.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    DAVE SHUTEN likes this.
  13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Doesn't look like a PU truck in the picture? Did the pics get mixed up?

14. midnightbluS10

midnightbluS10

It's not suppose to be. That would be a pic of Dave's other project that was in the tent.

15. Hogride

Hogride

For the young pups Those cars were called zinger's based of the rat fink decals of the 70's IN the late 80's saw the green zinger bug and a few of Ed Roth's cars at Dale Starbirds in OKC I Think ! Maybe belonged to steve magnante at one time. I Could Be very wrong its happend before...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014