Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 352 FE Engine Issues

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AmericanPinups, Feb 7, 2014.

1. AmericanPinups

AmericanPinups
    from Dallas, TX

Having issues to say the least with a 352 FE Engine. Took it to a guy who charged a thousand dollars to supposedly put it in car and get it running.

Now he says it's not holding oil pressure 'at the top' and it needs to be torn down and vatted at an additional cost of $1200.00. ..basically arguing 'I brought him and engine that didn't work'..he was only paid to put it together and install in car.
    Whatever dude.

Anyway, DFW peeps, you guys know anyone in the area who can bail me out of this mess? Need an engine guy who can pick up the pieces of this mess.

Thanks.

2. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

What did you know about the engine when you took it to have it installed? Did you ever see/hear it run? Did the installer build the engine? A little more info. would help us help you.

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

If you brought him an engine and he installed it and got it running, then he did his part. If he built the engine and there is now an issue, that is a different story.

4. AmericanPinups

AmericanPinups
    from Dallas, TX

I was told by the seller the engine , it had been machined and cleaned and ready to go..just needed to be put together. The installer put the engine together and said there was 'no oil pressure in the top' (his words) ..says the core was apparently dirty, and my fault for bringing him a 'bad engine'..he says he was only paid to put it together...not make it run..which is B.S.

No, it never ran correctly at all.

I need someone in the area to take this engine and try to get it running.

5. Maricopa

Maricopa

The guy shouldn't have agreed to put together and unknown motor, but we're probably past that. Honestly the FE Ford isn't a job for your average mechanic, you should check on the FE Forum or ClubCobra and see about finding a decent FE guy in TX.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

He is right that he was only paid to put it togather,it was you that brought him bad parts so time to start looking for a motor that you can hear run before having installed. I had people bring me bad motors to install that they never heard run and the same thing happened so they had to pay me twice to get another motor in the car,yes it sucks but its not the installers fault and I warn them before taking on the job that this might happen if I can not hear the motor run.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. In the 50's they made a top oiler kit for the early "Y" blocks, because they all had this top oiling problem. All it was. i think, is a copperline and "T" fittings that ran from the oil sender hole in the block up to the stud that holds the valve covers, the kit stud was hollow with a hole in the side to guide the oil back into the valve covers via the rocker shafts. Ugly copper tubing but worked.

8. Judd

Judd

Isn't there a plug in the block that can cause this problem if left out?

9. weathrmn

weathrmn

There is a different bolt that is a bit relieved that allows the oil to come up through the cylinder head, through the rocker arm stand and then into the rocker arm shaft. The bolt belongs on the 3rd cyl. on the passenger side and 2nd cyl. on the driver's side. Take the rocker arm assembly off and look for the only oil passage in the cyl. head. thats where the necked down bolt goes. Make sure that someone has not restricted or blocked the oil passage in the head. It is a common practice to restrict the oil passage to .090, depending if your racing the engine, for street use, leave it alone. Also make sure the oil holes on the rocker arm shaft are pointed down to lube the rocker arm

10. boutlaw

boutlaw

X2 on what weathrmn said, very important, non FE guys don't generally know about the "longer/tapered " rocker shaft bolt, and that the rocker shaft oil holes face "down" when properly installed. His term "not holding oil pressure at the top" is probably referring to rocker oiling as previously mentioned, but, if no oil pressure is the issue, sometimes the oil gallery plug located in the distributor shaft hole, and only accessable from front of block behind cam timing gear, is often left out after block cleaning. I would check for shaft oiling first thing, not that hard to verify. Good Luck and post your findings/

11. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Thanks guys I just learned something about FE engines. I'm getting ready to build one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. AmericanPinups

AmericanPinups
    from Dallas, TX

13. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

The rocker shafts themselves can be packed full of crud. Also there are press in plugs in each end of the shaft, I've seen them removed before for cleaning and not put back. If they're not there the oil just dumps out of the ends and never builds enough pressure to oil the rockers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. 58custom

58custom

weathrmn & boutlaw bring the truth. Normally, FEs do not have a problem oiling the rockers.

15. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

If you are having trouble finding someone that knows anything about an FE , gimme a call..we race one.........I have a bit of knowledge in building one...

Mark

469 644 7544

over in the Frisco/Little Elm area

We will be at the Thaw in Denton with our NSS car...stop by and say hello.

16. boutlaw

boutlaw

Hey Pinup....whats the word, did you find the problem? Texoutsiders offer to help out would be my first move....