Register now to get rid of these ads!

Testing the waters. Possible chrome venture being considered.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2s83, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirt in ur beer

dirt in ur beer

Im sure that the OP has the best intentions and I have not and do not intend to say anything deragatory to or about him. Eventually someone using this service will say " well i thought it would look better , Im not paying for it. Which unfortunately makes both people unhappy. I really hope it works out for everyone involved.

2. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I'm going out to the shop in the morning and start buffing some stuff.....

3. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

"Shoddy"?

4. dirt in ur beer

dirt in ur beer

One other thing i might stress to those interested in this is the following. You the customer is responsible for the prep work on your piece if i understand this correctly. that being said plating and body work have a lot in common . If you paint or plate over improperly prepared surfaces it will look fantastic.... for a while. The percentage of plating failure due to improper preparation is probably around 80 to 90 . Thus it begins to be incredibly hard to offer any kind of guarantee on the life of the plating. If said part rusts or peels it becomes really easy for all parties to start pointing fingers and playing the blame game. Neither party will have knowingly or intentionally did anything to cause the failure but youve sure opened up the possibility of questionable responsibility.

5. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Ya know, I understand all these points but what about the group of hot rodders that can't afford a $5,000 plating bill? You think myself and others that fit this description are immediately gonna freak out when the chrome starts to rust? If you don't realize the risk you take to save some real money on chroming costs than you're just an idiot. If you want show quality chrome with a long warranty than move along and make sure you've cashed out your 401K before you start dropping off parts at your local top quality chrome shop. Sheesh, stop being such a negative nelly. It's a brilliant idea for those that are open to it. JohnnyA

6. dirt in ur beer

dirt in ur beer

Youre absolutely right.... I sound like a negative Nelly. It is a great idea. Good luck to all involved. God bless capitalism and the American spirit .

7. fyi, there are plenty of places that do crappy chrome work. Why try and be mundane? why not start out and be the best quality ever? I've never heard anybody come right out and say "i do crappy work for less than so and so"

8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Exactly what I've been looking for..... Another positive vote. I GET what you're trying to do!

One more question on size. Is it based on dimension, surface area, or mass. If based on dimension, I suggest listing that so we have an idea. I have a few sets of Hemi valve covers myself, but my 47 packard grille isn't that much larger but has more mass and may have more surface area... Thx

9. I'd be interested in having these hubcaps plated for my van. Any thoughts on cost?

They are a pretty nice set. Should strip and plate nicely.

Thanks, JH

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I think it could work and you'll be busy, you get what you pay for concept. Maaco paint specials, Earl Schieb? (paint any car for $99) type places have been around for years. I've seen hundreds of the cheap chrome engine dress up kits being carted around at swap meets, it has it's place and appeal for many.

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Think you have the makings of a great idea....I have had a bunch of early midget parts that were just chromed to look good from the stands, no polishing or even disassembly was evident, and they were fine for their intended use. (parts like leaf spring assemblys, and Houdaille shocks) Still have a set of chromed shocks I plan to use...May want to offer to plate what you get, could help to weed out the whiners. I kind of think most (not all), of the "perfection" guys don't have
    much of a resume themselves.

12. paintcan54

paintcan54

I'm in, I got a price to chrome a rear buggy style spring, only 4 leafs and it was already a part and springs was already blasted and the guy said about thousand bucks to do, that's rights $ 1,000.00 dollars after I picked my ass up off the floor I ask him now lets get real, and he said he was. I said that's 250 A LEAF he said that's right needless to say he did not get my work, as I told him I hope he got back on his meds soon, or quite taking whatever drugs your on. So yes I'm interested.

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The Kurtis leaf spring I had was plated while still assembled and did not look too bad....

14. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

I hope this venture goes and you do well. There are a lot of small parts that could benefit from a dip in chrome and don't need to be "show" stuff. Shipping of the smalls is also a money saver for those of us that need a part protected from the elements and paint just will not do.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. roddinron

roddinron

I think it's a great idea too provided you really can and will make a deep cut in cost. I'm lucky enough to have a guy just a couple miles from me that does just that. He's retired and does it as a side line. I have taken parts to him to have old chrome stripped, then I pick them up and finish them myself, then take them back for chrome. I'm very happy with the quality of the chrome considering the price I'm paying. No, I wouldn't enter the GNRS with it, but that's not my aim. I just wish he had bigger tanks, I have a 56 Pontiac split rear bumper that needs done, but it's too big for his tank. So if you set up to handle it, count me in!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  16. Yeah, no shit.
    This type of posting is just like seeing dirt in your beer.

17. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I did this before with a bumper shop, before they start making bumpers out of rubber. He said if I wanted show chrome for me to polish the part so it looked like it was already chrome. His vat was the size of a bumper, he charged me $125 to dip whatever he could get in there. All he did was dip it, nothing else.

18. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Say What !? Sounds like governmental doublespeak :rolleyes::D:eek:

If I send a perfectly polished / finished part, it should come out with a high end finish. Right.

19. roddinron

roddinron

It seems strange to me that it's an accepted practice for guys to finish all the bodywork on a car then have someone else paint it, but when it comes to finishing the metal on a bumper and then having someone else chrome it, it's frowned upon. If a guy knows how to get something smooth and ready for paint or chrome, why shouldn't he do it? Isn't that what car building is all about for most of us, doing as much as we can ourselves? I painted my own car because I have a compressor, and a paint gun. If I had the equipment, I'd do my own chrome too.
    I do think you'll have guys who are unhappy with the results, but as long as the chromer is honest up front with them, and explains he's only going to make their flaws shiny, and they're ok with it, then it's on them. As long as he is honest, and does his job correctly I see nothing wrong with it.
    I actually think the chromer is safer than the painter in this scenario since the car body has been covered with multiple coats of who knows what, covering metal in who knows what condition? JMO

20. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

No doublespeak.

If you want me to polish parts it won't be high end. If you polish then the finish will be what you put in. Though ill warn that any marks in the base metal will only be highlighted by plating.

I don't want anyone that expects top show parts because in all my experience that requires additional sanding during the copper stage. That step will not be offered as part of the cost saving.

This won't be for everyone and thats fine.

21. A Rodder

A Rodder

What's the estimate on that set of caps posted above?

22. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

So is this a go? Or no?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Ill have some motor mounts and shackle bars ready by the end of the week.

24. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

From what i gather the guy isnt always on here and keeps pretty busy so I dont anticipate you'll get the quickest response unless youve got a direct email or phone number. I'm excited to drop a box of polished ready to chrome parts off at the post office myself. JohnnyA

25. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

We are a go!

Address is:

Budget Chrome
    4319 West Clara Lane
    PMB #287
    Muncie, IN 47304

In reply to the Caps the price was $35 each for full process (strip, polish, plate). A plate only would be $12 each.

Thanks for all the patience!

26. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Awesome!! Good Luck in your new business!!

27. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

Thanks!

Sent PMs to all those who had asked me to contact them.

Also set up an Email. [email protected]

That will also be the PayPal address as well if you want to pay that way.

28. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

whats the turn around time roughly ?

29. Sent you an email

30. Jimmy2s83

Jimmy2s83
    from Indiana

lead time should only be a couple weeks. Main thing will be trying to run orders together to cut costs. Doesn't make sense to only run 1 part at a time. So right now may be the quickest as I have several guys saying they have parts on the way. Obviously a larger order could be run right away.
    No specific minimum price range is set to do a run. That will be something I'll figure out as I go.

Getting ready to answer emails right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.