Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features **1941-1946 Chevy Truck Picture Thread**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Tango88

Tango88

Hey Crusty --- you seem to be the most knowledgeable regarding the 41 to 46 trucks...does the 5.43 rear end really exist or is it like the "Bigfoot" of gears? Been lookin' for a couple of years with no bites at all. Really need to find that gear set if they are out there..somewhere.

2. Thanks for the inquiry Tango. As far as the big truck rear ends go, I have no knowledge. The last big 1 1/2 truck I had, I gave the chassis away just to get it out of my yard. I try not to use any of the old running gear, too expense to try to rebuild it.
    Try going into www.stovebolt.com . I know there is a group of folks over there with the big trucks.

3. Tango88

Tango88

Thanks Guys --- I know that Chevy offered the 5.43 as an "option" but have yet to come across anyone who has ever seen one let alone has one. I'd been told that my bus came with it but discovered later it is the 6.17 that came standard. Problem is, the 5.43 would be perfect with the Allison tranny so I'm still a lookin and a hopin.

I guess the good news is that all of the rear ends I've seen so far have been in remarkably good shape...looked like new.

"They just don't make'm like they used to".

Onward!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

Isn't there a R&P manufacturer somewhere that could make a set for you, or not an option?

5. The last couple trucks posted are right on ! 455 Buick in one and a blower on the other, hell yeah man ! I'm working on a deal to add multiple carbs to my BBC in my 41, just can't help myself...ha ha

05snopro440 likes this.
  6. Tango88

Tango88

I looked into having new gears cut quite a while back but basically, they said they need all the original specs or a clean set of gears to work from. The specs are not to be found and if I had a "clean set of gears to work from"...I wouldn't need a set made!. Even then, they "guessed" at about ten-grand for a one-off set to cover the programming & such.

That said...if anyone knows of a machine shop that night be able to pull it off without the engineering drawings for maybe a couple of grand, please...send'em my way.

The hunt goes on!

7. **Have you considered a 12% larger circumference tire? That's not much additional height on a XX x 20.

8. Tango88

Tango88

The standard 7.50 to 8.50 x 20's that fit these 5" rims are 38" tall. Another 12% would be a tire that's about 42.5". Don't know of anything close to that which would fit these narrow rims. The standard issue tires are already pretty hard to come by but I do appreciate the thinking.

9. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

no one?

10. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Go on stovebolt.com, post an ad in the parts wanted section or post an ad in your local classifieds. This isn't the best place to find what you need.

11. gma1965

gma1965

Here is a true barn find, been in this barn since new in 1944. Is now in my shop after my Grandfather passed away. I am considering using a pre-1998 dodge 4x4 chassis with Cummings diesel and custom flatbed. If anyone has ideas on modern drivetrains I would love to talk. Most of the conversions I see end up with the front wheels too wide.

Attached Files:

12. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Very Nice truck gma1965,
    I havent worked with the 'big' trucks hardly at all,
    only the 1/2 and 3/4 tons,
    surely someone will chime in,
    I would keep it stock just because it is so well preserved,
    I also noticed you havent done an intro,
    so if you want to be in good standing here on the hamb,
    go back to the introduction page and do your intro,
    other than that you might try the Stovebolt pages for inspiration.
    Great Old Truck!! :cool::D

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

OMG! That thing is so cool! Not rusted out, not beaten to an inch of it's life nor neclegted and left for dead behind a barn. You found it inside a barn looking crisp and fine, and you wants to cut I up and sit it on a OT frame? WTF

I understand why people swap out a non running 216 dipper, i kind of understand why people change a crash box for a syncro'ed one, but I never get the frame swap to a small truck Mazda/Izuzu/c10. Why dont you buy a Izuzu and Drive Daily, and only use the truck for weekends? Rant over.

If i had to swap anything in, it would be a Detroit Diesel and 4speed+3 on the back. But please send more pictures, it could be a nice truck.

14. Yep , pretty much all of what he said.

Very cool old truck.

15. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I need a firewall vin plate for one of theses bad! Mine is completely illegible. It appears it was blasted while on the cab. PM me if anyone has an extra....

16. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

17. rockinr783

rockinr783

I will have one pulled out hopefully in a month or so. I was told by the original owner low gear isn't good in it though.

18. rockinr783

rockinr783

Have been working at getting parts together to get my truck rolling, hopefully by summer I get close. Sorry for the sideways pictures!

Attached Files:

19. Tango88

Tango88

Hey GMA...Amazing find! And if you go with a later chassis & running gear, there is a very detailed account of narrowing a newer front axle to fit these trucks over on stovebolt.com by "Grigg". Great info there.

Also, if you replace the rear end, let me know what gears you have as I am building a '46 school bus with a Cummins/Allison combo and may be interested in whatever you have left over.

Best of luck with the build and please do keep the pix coming.

20. Finally got my computer bug squared away and now able to post photos again.
    Back in the fall of 2013 I started a 46 Dodge Truck build on a Honda Passport chassis (rebadged Isuzu Rodeo), this is my buddy Mel's truck. Mel has a 283 and a TH350 for the project.
    Right after Mel's truck got started I sold a job to put one of my Isuzu Chassis under a 37 Chevy pickup. The customer supplied me with a small block 400 and th350 Transmission.
    Also started one for me, another 41 Chevy truck on a Honda passport chassis. This one will have a world war 2 Military nose on it.

Attached Files:

21. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Lookin good Gary! :cool:

22. Coneboy

Coneboy

Here's mine. Just got her home before winter hit. Can't wait to get started. I found a 9ft Stepside bed for the rear. She's gonna be a big dually pickup! Are there any rear fenders for sale out there?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Nice truck Coneboy. The big fenders will be a torn up if you find any at all. I'm sure they are very rare. I know Superior Glass makes a fiberglass fender for the pickups. perhaps you can make them wider to go over your 20" tire / wheel.

24. If I'm not mistaken, Superior makes a 2" widened rear fender as well.....I know somebody does anyway!

25. Coneboy

Coneboy

Here's a shot of the "Factory Offered" 1 1/2 ton dually I am using for inspiration. I've done some research and the rear fenders aren't wide at all. They are bolted to spacers that are attached to the bedsides. So......If anyone has a pair of stock rear fenders, I can make the spacers so they will work. They don't have to be perfect, just cool! Thanks
    [​IMG]

Also, If anyone has any 700-20 or 750-20 tires they'd like to sell, please let me know. Thanks!

eye bone likes this.
  26. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

That is one tough lookin truck,
    dont see many like that..
    in fact I have not seen any like that in the last 7 years that I've been messin
    with 41-46 chevy trucks.

27. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Does the site work for anyone? I tried to click on several years of truck with no luck.