Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have a weird question about good cars/trucks for tall drivers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoneTexan, Feb 6, 2014.

1. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

I tried to post to the "general" section, but it wouldn't give me the option.

Im 6'6 and was wondering what pre 65 vehicle would be good for someone my height to have as a daily driver. I have a 73 F100, but its a little new for me. I almost got a 71 C10, but I barely fit(knees at the dash).

My moms husband has several Ford Fairelane 500's and I fit, but Id rather buy a truck for daily use to be honest.

Don't really know anyone with any older Trucks/Cars or I would just go sit in them.

Would a 64-65 c10 or earlier ford truck be out of the question?

Sitting in one of the 65 Fairelane 500 Sport Coupe B/Gas car with the seat 2 clicks from being fully back to give an idea.
    [​IMG]

2. George

George

I recall an article where a tall guy bought an unchopped Tall T....I imagine your best bet would be to go to car shows and ask if you could check out the head room.

3. The Fords seem to have roomier cabs compared to most GM trucks, and I don't think the Dodges are too bad either. I know what you mean about the Chevys, I'm 6' and had little leg room in those.

4. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

It depends on how much you want to build. I have a 53 truck. I'm also 6'6", no way I was comfortable stock. The stock seat back is about 6" thick and it has a gas tank behind that. I removed the tank and built a thinner/ lower seat and I fit great. My buddy is 6'8 and drives a 40 dodge coupe, and we are building a 46 ford. Cars are easy, cause you can modify the seat base to move it back. I think for a truck you will have a hard time with anything pre-war.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Thanks yall may just have to go hit up some car shows when they start up again.

I was thinking about getting something and relocating the tank, but didn't know if it would make much of a difference. I cant do any major work(live on a houseboat so no shop) but something like that wouldn't be too bad to do in the parking lot :D....Marina owners going to hate me lol

6. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

I took that picture before I tried to move the seat back more I actually fit in the Fairelane decently After I shoved it back, but no ways he would let me take that car off his hands lol. Being tall is a PITA lol

I wouldn't mind a car for weekends, But if I got a truck I could use it like a truck. Maybe I should look in wagons and have room to carry and more room to stretch out.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm 5'8" and my '64 C10 is about as tight as I'd like it. I'm sure you would be uncomfortable. That's stock though. Relocate the tank to the bed and move the seat back and down and you'd be fine.

8. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

My nephew is 17, 6'6" and just a big-boned kid. It's hilarious to see him sit in his 66 Chevy reg cab truck - it looks like he's jammed in there.

9. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

The 71 I got in sucked room wise it was a shame it was a clean truck, but Im glad I didn't get it...too new. I was wanting a 65 C10 in Austin, but it got sold before I made it up there.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  10. Nash-Time

Nash-Time

On that early Ford truck you mention, I have a '61 Uni short w/b and I changed out the bench seat to buckets along with a tilt wheel. I fit easily now but my brother-in-law who is 6'2" and 300lbs has a go of it. Good luck!

11. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Well looks like a truck may be out of the question.....crap

12. LT- NOT SO!!!

I'm 6'6" and have a '56 Chevrolet truck and fit just fine.

13. inkstain27

inkstain27

What about a suburban or carryall?

14. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I'm 6'4" 250lbs and own a 50 burb and a 65 c10. The burb has tons of room and I modified the seat frame, installed a later tilt (shoved the bowl all the way to the dash) on the 65 c10 and I fit perfect. Tank is still behind the seat. I'm afraid to move it to under the bed and free up anymore room or my wife might think we were teens again on those country road drives ;)

15. 64-66 Ford trucks have plenty of leg room. HRP

16. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Whats the problem here exactly? lol

a blanket fits real good behind truck seats and covers the bed floor...your welcome:D

17. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Ive though about something like that, but trucks are plentiful and cheap here. I don't see many suburbans or wagons for less than a arm and a leg.

Had a guy talked down to 4500 from 12,000 on that truck in Austin shame I wouldn't have fit lol

18. I'm 6' 6", I currently own a '40 Ford p/u, a '41 Ford p/u, a '71 Corvette convertible, a '72 Corvette coupe.
    I have owned numerous Chev AD p/u's a couple of Cameos, mid sixties Chev p/u's, El Camino's, and many other cars, that weren't designed for someone of our stature.

My taste in vehicles doesn't change, so I adapt (stopping, stretching the legs, etc.)

19. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Really my only issue is my knee if I sit with my leg bent at a sharp angle for more than 30 min or so it feels like a knife twisting in it. may just have to say EFF it get what I want and stop and stretch like you said, but it would be awesome to be semi comfortable for the longer trips lol. I usually drive anywhere from 70-140 miles one way for work(laid off now) so Id be in it a lot.

20. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I am also quite tall. Beeing 6'8" and 260 pounds.

I drive an f-1 daily year round and fit VERY comfortably.

That said. I have a long torso and "normalish" legs. (I wear 40x34 jeans)

A friend of mine is 6-8 but he has long legs. So he fits differently than me. But he also has an f-1 and I have been building another for him.

I also run a 56 Vicky and fit ok in it. My head just brushes the headliner.

I too have a couple 73-79 f series trucks and fit ok in them. I als fit ok in my 66-77 broncos.

21. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

yeah 42X34 here and a long torso...Looks like I should look into another ford then.

22. Rob68

Rob68

I'm only 6'2" and fit just fine in my 58 F100 though I'm more gorillaish with short legs and long torso. I even manage it with my tall hair and a bit of a gut.

23. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

Now to get a new job and start looking for another old ford

24. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

'49 or '50 Dodge or Chrysler. DeSotos and Plymouths are a little tighter.

25. cometman98006

cometman98006

Pre war trucks won't work, people were a lot shorter then. I'm 6' or was until I got old and just barely fit in my '41 chev truck without a gas tank and the seat all the way back.

26. Yall tall guys gotta get some stringbeaner pants so your knees can bend lower than normal legs.
    [​IMG]

27. LoneTexan

LoneTexan
    from Texas

that's what I feel like lol

28. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FWIW, I'm 6'3" 275 and fit nicely in my '53 f100 with stock bench seat.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Panel vans or homemade club cabs are my only suggestion for pre-1948 trucks. I've seen several club cab (add 12" behind door) projects stall as it's a ton of work to get looking right.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  30. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

The late 40's early 50's Ford's and chevys will be your best bet you can relocate gas tank fairly easy and less then an hour or two and mount the seer further back or change the seat out for one from a astro van way less padding I've done these kind of modes for a few guys that were to tall for the truck it help a lot