Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y Blocks in Hot Rods---Lets see em'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Jun 2, 2008.

1. I second that jasone.

2. BigChief

BigChief

On my '48 Ford (stock steering, front suspension) I'm using a front plate style motor mount on biscuits and rams-horn manifolds - The drivers side head pipe dumps forward and in toward the motor (tucking in close to it) following the tierod under the oil pan and across the car where both pipes head down the passenger side of the car.The only other way to deal with the situation is fenderwell type headers or, on a fenderless car, headers straight out and over the frame. With the clutch, brakes, steering box/column tube and oil filter all in the same area there aren't many choices left. Using side type motor mounts makes things even worse.

If your motor is stock and you don't mind the hokey-chokey stock truck type manifolds, many of the pick-ups and some cars used a cross-over that dumped from the driverside manifold, traveled across the front of the motor and into the passengerside manifold, the combined gases then were dumped out the back of the passengerside manifold. Kinda ugly and it doesn't do much for performance but it sure would be effective at fixing your packaging dilema.

-Bigchief.

3. Thanks for the thoughts BigChief! My brother and I have come to many of the same conclusions and will likely end up with a remote filter, hydraulic clutch and some type of over the frame headers as it will be a hoodless hiboy. Lot's of fussin', but that's what makes every build different - right?

p.s. Gord would make things work somehow if he could get his hands on a set of cast Fentons!!!

-Dave

4. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Attached Files:

5. k-member

k-member

6. Veerrrrry nice! :)

You realize that those headers don't fit.. I could buy them off you! ;)

-Dave

7. I may have taken this thread in a sideways direction, so... :eek:

Here's a page from the past:
    [​IMG]

-Dave

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Hey look at that - the steering box is on the "right" side ;););):eek:

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The Fenton headers seem to allow for increased steering clearance as shown before side panels were added

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431579

Attached Files:

10. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Attached Files:

11. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Attached Files:

12. Tank

Tank

Heres another Bird I found in my archives. I love this one too!

Attached Files:

13. BoulevardBomber

BoulevardBomber

14. Heo

Heo

15. Not really a "Hot Rod" or anything special but here's mine, the original 292 with 103K miles in my '62 Galaxie. I added the '55 4 barrel intake with carb adapter and "small" Holley carb, valve covers, air cleaner and a bunch of new parts and detailing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 117harv

117harv

One of my favorite coupes ever, and it runs a y block.

Attached Files:

17. Great thread on great looking engines.

I'm thinking of replacing the flattie in my '34 5-window with a y-block. Can anyone put me in touch with someone that has done this swap? I'd love to hear whats involved before making the leap.

Anyone???

18. bought a 57 300 post car today has some drag history street and strip has a cast iron three deuce intake who made that intake and got a dual point point ford dizzy also / i was trying to look but not fall all over it until i go back and get it loaded / really would like info on intake thanx rodman phillips

19. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are a few Y blocks. They are fun to build and once you get the right heads will be a real competitive engine even by today's standards. The '56-58 factory (Pico Rivera) Racing engine cars were really taking home the trophies in those years. The blown 312's were a fun car to watch. There was a 312 dual quad two door Wagon that used to come to SoCal from Oklahoma every spring and show the folks out here what a fast station wagon could do. The "Blowin in the Wind" '57 showed many cars his tail lights in 1320 ft.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

20. homey chromey

homey chromey

All Henry 32 with 56 Merc. and top loader 4 speed...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  21. Hey Homey, Nice car. Glad to see this thread being revived again. Hard to believe no one has posted since 7/2010...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  22. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

A lot of good info in this thread. It deserves a bump.
    My other 32 5w will have a y-block with an edelbrock 657 6x2 intake. I have the good heads. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a good cam. I intend on running all 6 carbs.

23. Contact John Mummert He will be able to recommend a cam for you.

I got a Clay Smith cam from John years ago that fit my setup perfectly. And check out the rest of the shtuff he has available.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My 26 RPU will be Y Block powered. In my avatar is how it sits more or less waiting till I'm healthy enough to carry on with it.

Should be soon now :)

Here is the engine Tim McMaster built for me.

Attached Files:

25. My brother Gord got the roadster on the road this fall. 292, 3spd stick and '57 wagon 9".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Dave

26. I'm really kind of surprised I hadn't posted here yet...here's my '56 T-Bird, been a Modesto, CA hot rod since late 1956 when it was fitted with an Edelbrock built stroker & the 3x2 set-up you see here (over seen by Bobby Meeks)...but that's another story. I plan to have the big stroker in this one again soon.

At the Graffiti Night parade:
    [​IMG]

And, the hot rod y-block...a 312, wearing all the original Edelbrock stuff:
    [​IMG]

27. texkbc

texkbc

Here's mine in for the first time. 272 y block with t5 and 57 9 inch

28. texkbc

texkbc

try it again

Attached Files: