Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hotrods on Ed Sullivan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willowbilly3, Aug 19, 2012.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I was watching a tv documentary on Ed Sullivan and the Beach Boys were on, 1964, At least 3 roadsters were on the stage too. I can't find the footage on the net. Have any of you seen this clip? Cool cars and I would like to see more of them and know if anyone recognizes them.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I watched that too and don't remember ever seeing that show before last night. The hot rods were very typical 60's California cars and pretty neat. I also surfed the web and couldn't find anything on it.

Don

Wait, I take that back......here is a video I found.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1625671306383861510

3. Mart

Mart

Look, I don't know much about Ed Sullivan, but those channelled roadsters have an east coast look to them, did Ed broadcast from east coast and when the beach boys were coming in did the producers round up some local roadsters as the stage set??

Kinda guessing here.

Mart.

4. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Yeah, that's the one. The video is so poor it's hard to make out much for details. I was thinking those were probably some show cars and there might be something else on them. But they might have just belonged to the a studio prop room too. Maybe they showed up in some cheesy B movies or something.

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I think it was broadcast from New York, come to think of it.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You might be right. Ed Sullivan theater is in NY, and they may have just rounded up some local cars for the show.

Here is what Wikipedia says about it:

The Ed Sullivan Show was originally broadcast via live television from the Maxine Elliott Theatre at Broadway and 39th St. before moving to its permanent home at CBS-TV Studio 50 in New York City, which was renamed the Ed Sullivan Theater[4] on the occasion of the program's 20th anniversary in June 1968. The last original Sullivan show telecast (#1068) was on March 28, 1971 with guests Melanie, Joanna Simon, Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass, and Sandler and Young. Repeats were scheduled through June 6, 1971.

Don

7. I remember seeing the Beach Boys on Ed Sullivan,,I was 14 at the time.

Is this video what your looking for? HRP

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=1625671306383861510&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I foud this one picture that shows a license plate on the front of the roadster, but can't make it out as to what State it is from.

Don

[​IMG]

9. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Anyone ever watch David Letterman? The announcer at the opening credits says that he is coming from the Ed Sullivan theater in NYC.

10. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

Very nice picture!!

11. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

The video is available for purchase on iTunes and is clear (for black and white)
    I agree that they are cool east coast rods. I dig the double whitewall on the one.

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Looks like the old yellow/black N.Y. plates and with 2 out of the 3 roadsters having a top you can be sure their local cars.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It would be cool if someone came on and said one of the cars was theirs or belonged to a buddy. You always wonder what happened to these old hot rods.

Don

14. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

East Coast? Yep. Look at the closest one - it has a New Jersey plate. The farthest one I think is a '31 or '32 Chevy cabriolet - note the three door hinges.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Most likely the cars are from New York or New Jersey. They look good enough to have been in one of the East Coast little pages magazines. Bob

16. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Those are not Calif Hot Rods from the early 1960 East Coast stuff and as far as the Beach Boys go none had a clue about Hot Rods

17. roundvalley

roundvalley

Open roadster on the right had frenched door hinges.

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

That's what I was thinking Don. Maybe someone here would remember one of the cars. When I was digging, I found another appearance where they are all setting on the front of what looked like a woody wagon. I think that was later, maybe around 1967.

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Really? Dennis Wilson (drums) ran his car regularly at San Fernando Raceway in the Valley.... He won more than a few drag races there in the sixties, as a matter of fact. :rolleyes:

East Coast cars painted with shiny paint? WTF? Must be an aberration :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  20. Hey....but Dennis Wison played the mechanic:eek: in Two Lane Blacktop.......he was always adjusting the valves and changing jets in the 55:eek::D and from the movie of their careers Al Jardine drove a 57 Vette right out of high school..........:rolleyes:............anyway their image and songs were a great part of hot rodding and teenage life. No other group glorified the 409 like they did :cool:. I still like em even if they were not good with wrenching. Oh....in the song 409....the revved engine was actually a 348 used for the sound.

21. von Dyck

von Dyck

Rocket power then. Rockets are still awesome today.
    California had channelled hot rods in the '50s-'60s, but the east coast guys seemed to prefer that stance more-so (that and square cornered roll bars for the drags).
    And the music! Nothing like that today! Except places like "Back-to-the-Fifties", St.Paul, MN every June.

22. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I love that video! NO flat black paint.NO red rims! All finished cars.Not one drop of ink on the women in the vidoe either.I love TRADITIONAL Hot Rodding!

23. hallrods

hallrods

I thought the lead singer had a 1932 ford 3 window

24. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

New York City

Attached Files:

25. Special Ed

Special Ed

Here's "clueless" Dennis Wilson at the "Pond" ... :rolleyes:
    I suppose the trophies he won there were for his drumming performances.

[​IMG]

26. johnbrighton

johnbrighton

Hello everbody. my name is John , And the light colored 1932 chevy roadster was my dads. Joe THE MAILMAN Sbrigato from brooklyn n.y.THE name of the car is called the MAILMAN SPECIAL .my dad built it from the ground up .it has a very interesting history about it.This hotrod has been in over 100 magazines throughout the 50s 60s and 70s.and another tv show as well.Iam very proud to say i still own this work of art TODAY....

27. 63Compact

63Compact

Awesome welcome aboard, got any current pics?

28. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Please post some pictures of the car, we are all waiting!!!

29. johnbrighton

johnbrighton

That year in 1964 my father JOE took best of show at the new york coliseum and was asked to display the car at the ny worlds fair in queens,BY A major tire company,the payment was a brand new set of 4 duel 90 whitewall tires .so dad agreed.Than while at the fair a gentalman by the name of BRIAN WILSON approached him and asked i want to buy your car to display on the ED SULLIVAN SHOW next week. My dad said I'm sorry its not for sale .so he asked if he could bring the car down and dad said it would be my pleasure! but they needed 3roadsters in total.so my dad asked two of his drag racing buddys from long island and jersey to bring their rods on the show. and the rest is HISTORY.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  30. wandi harry

wandi harry

G'day John
    Would be great to see some photos.