Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 3100 Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadams, Mar 21, 2011.

1. daddio211

daddio211

2. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Here's the WA plate they blessed no problemo - single plate. Be sure and bring that girl something when you go back - or send an old skool thank you note afterwards.

Attached Files:

3. shadams

shadams

No kidding, I bet you anything had I done that to begin with I would have left there ready to rock and roll.....grrrrrr...

NICE....and yea. The "head tax lady" for lack of the right title, is actually someone I went to highschool with. We bump into each other from time to time as we have a lot of mutual friends. I bet had the circumstances been different it would have flown just fine. That is why I think if I just get them better at least they can feel good about not having to let me win. Women in group pissing contests are so unpredictable. :eek: or predictable, now that I think about it...

4. Shadams , I use tempor paint on my old plates , It looks like new paint and Tx dmv love the look . When done and reg . over wash it off and right back to nice patina . Good luck , Blue

5. shadams

shadams

Thanks Joyflea, however, I think I just may have done it....check it out...

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

Now I am going to buy some more of that same paint except black, get a wire brush and go around a scrub off the loose black paint and rust along the edges, and fill and see what I can do with that. Plus I want to use the black to sharpen the edges of the numbers I messed with, but that may be getting too picky. But I think it will be good enough to pass the almighty DMV inspection.

6. RamJet1

RamJet1

Looks great. Sorry they couldn't just be honest, stand-up people over there.

7. Try another DMV branch. Around here, we go to the smaller county DMV's. They don't get as cynical as the city/ metro types get. Way more accommodating.

8. shadams

shadams

I live in a town of 1000 people. Doesnt get much smaller than that and still hav a DMV, haha....I think it is going to be fine. I was just really frustrated at the time.

9. Guess that's true. Everybody knows everybody.

10. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Just a thought if you run into more problems with the DMV, another option ( if TX has them) is a state certified VIN verifier. When I moved out here to CA I paid one to come to house and take care of all 6 of my registration transfers from ME. She even did the YOM plates for my 54. They fought here on a couple of my registrations (due to titles not being issued in ME on '95 an older vehicles) and she proved them wrong! If I had tried to do all of these CA would have had me in NJ and TX trying to get title releases for some of my vehicles purchased there. It was worth every penny to have her drop all my info and plates off at the house and I never stepped foot in those awful DMV's!!

11. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the plates, but you did some nice touch-up work. Those will look great on your truck.

12. shadams

shadams

Thanks simple....and 54...fortunately I did the title thing up front...didn't want to risk starting on it till it was mine. The reg would be ok if they would have ok'd them. I think I am on the right track though..thanks guys,..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. englands54

englands54

Great job on the truck..I had issues with my latches and this is what I ended up doing with mine.. This was about 5 years ago and there wasn't a kit.. Keep the good work up..

Attached Files:

14. shadams

shadams

Very nice, esp from scratch. I checked out your profiel to see if there are any pics of the truck but came up blank. Post em up if you got em, looks like a nice color...

15. What shock did you use in the rear? Got a part number or length? Just trying to save some time! Thanks.

16. shadams

shadams

I bought the Bilstein shocks listed for a lowered 1950 Chevy truck off of the Posies Rod and Customs web site...440SHKR according to my invoice... and they were too short to use in the lower saddle shock hole.

So anyway it was nice Saturday so I pulled the truck out and did a major garage clean up, even rinsed the truck off and wiped it all down. Slapped on two of my new canter caps and took a couple pics. Whadda you think? (white letters will be in soon)

[​IMG]

Close up of the rear...

[​IMG]

Threw some of the dash trim on to see how it is going to look, I like it...

[​IMG]

And then started to fix this hole..

[​IMG]

got most of it done but ran out of light. Still need to do underneath but tryng to find a way to get the truck up enough so I dont have to lay right under the weld....that sucks...

I ordered a bunch of stuff this last week, so hopefull I can make some good progress next weekend...

17. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Looking! I envy you your warm weather. -10F here yesterday morn. Keep on building, I'm living vicariously through HAMBers like you right now.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Coach529

Coach529

Love those caps!!

19. shadams

shadams

Haha, I hear ya. Although the last couple days it has been cold and windy, 16F this morning...

BUT....it is supposed to be high 60's low 70's and clear this weekend!! :eek:

Thanks, I hemmed and hawwed over center caps and saw this set on one of the guys in the AD forum and that sealed the deal. I cant wait to flip those letters in. Its weird how one day you can think one thing, and then later just completely hate it...I have an 85 3/4 4x4 and the BF KO's look awesome with the white letters out, but that it more "period correct" for that truck. No go on this one....

20. daddio211

daddio211

21. shadams

shadams

Yea yea yea!! Hahahaa.........

22. jjdow

jjdow
    from Iva, SC

Great work. I too am envious. Its much to cold to work outside on my truck. At the moment its partially covered in ice and snow. Spring can't get here quick enough.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. shadams

shadams

I took my seat frames in and went to a leather supply place and picked out a hide. Sent the place this pic for reference, this is the look I am after, with a little crustier looking leather. Dude didnt even hesitate, said he could do it. I am forgoing the contoured look, he said that would be a lot more work and $, so it should be fairly flat but with the same pattern. Wish me luck, I am super nervous about how it will turn out...

Attached Files:

24. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Love the center caps! And that leather will be sweet. Can't wait to see the final.

25. shadams

shadams

Seat is done, supposed to get some pics and pick it up later this week. I started thinking about some of my choices here lately....kind of all over the map as far as that goes. The thing is, reading all these threads and builds I have so many things I want to do but only one truck, ha...I guess the good thing is it can all be redone at any time. I guess we will just have to see how it all comes together and if it doesnt work, then it doesnt work, no big deal...

I have just about everything I need to finish this it up, except time. I keep having other things that need attention and it is taking away from my truck time. Hopefully once I get the seat back it will give me the kick in the ass I need to wrap things up so I can start driving it..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  26. I think that one of the hardest parts is actually getting them back on the street. I find that the more time goes by I just start thinking of them as "projects".

You can do it! :)

27. Coyote13

Coyote13
    from Dallas, TX

Bandera huh? Can't wait to see how your seat turns out with that pic as a reference. Where'd you take it?

28. shadams

shadams

Thanks simple, speaking of which I havent seen your thread up for a while, weather still shitty? Right now it is 25 and sleeting, windy. But just a couple of days ago it was almost 70. Thats Texas for you...

Coyote, Bandera....yep....the seat is at a little shop in SA called professional auto interiors. They used to be ABC auto interiors and had a little shake up and moved to a newer shop, but still have the same guys doing the work. I have used them for years for small interior repairs (as a vendor for the dealer I work at) and they have done a few things for me, including the seat/headliner on my 85.

I got pics back of the seat yesterday but havent seen it in person. I am going to wait until I see it and get better pics before posting though cause the pics they sent arent that great, plus the cushions arent in the main frame so it looks off a little. We'll see...

Nice avatar, the b-17 is one of the baddest machines ever built.....

29. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I just read this intire post and got to say your doing great , must be a texas thing I bought a 51 52 53 or 54 who knows off a guy out there sent me loads of pics said the truck was running and driving and all the rust was fixed and from the pics the thing looked great needed paint and some little work here and there an easy project, so I bought it and had it shiped here to fl and holy crap nothing is bolted on its all brazed together there's bondo 3" thick everywhere the rear fenders got switched out for a newer set the carpet was over plywood no metal the right side vents were beat in with a hammer and bondoed over oh yeah it doesn't run or drive no brake lines the carb was gunked up trany was stuck in gear, so I put it in the corner and continued my life, I didn't have much into it less the 2k with shipping so I off loaded it a painter wanted it and in return he pained and did body work to one of my cars so lesson learned most everyone will lie when it comes down to money and ill never buy a car sight un seen
    Well good luck with yours its turning out nice

30. shadams

shadams

Thanks man, and that sucks. That is unfortunately the times we live in. I have sold all kinds of things, and completely stress the whole time about making sure the buyer knows exactly what they are getting. Very rarely have I had the favor returned.

Actually I remember one time...I bought a AR rifle online for my wife, guy said it was new (home built) and yada yada. I didnt even look it over very good cause the guy seemed straight up. I get home and take it apart for cleaning and WTF!!!!! the barrel is FULL of rust. It took an hour to clean it all out and polish it up, then it was pitted badly.

I called dude up and of course got voicemail. I tore the dude up with every cuss word in the book (not a proud moment). He calls back a few minutes later and makes me feel like a total ahole. He said he bought it from a friend that was moving out of state and needed the money, and he didnt really look at it either, just took his buddys word for it. He met me back at the meet up place and gave me my money back. I had just assumed he had screwed me due to the condition, and then when he didnt answer it was on....lesson learned. Oh, and this was AFTER I got the screwing on my truck....

Seriously, I want to trust people, but damn........

Anyway, picking up the seat in the AM. It is 25 and ice everywhere, barely made it to work, but tommorow it is supposed to be clear and 68...:eek: Hopefully the seat looks good and I can get some work in tomorrow...