Register now to get rid of these ads!

33 plymouth suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cjo13, Jan 30, 2014.

1. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

Ok... Help me out here a little from the pros out here.... Ok enough butt kissing and get to the point. I am building my 33 Plymouth coupe finally.. Working on patch panels and the sorts.. I have the stock frame here but have no axles or suspension.. I am building this with a 440 and a 4 speed. I would like to stay ALL MOPAR if at all possible..Looking at a 8 3/4 rear out of a Dart. Probably will be 4 linked. The main build will be fenderless with just a hood top (Maybe). Does anybody have any tried and true front suspension and axle Ideas.. I was thinking about a bell drop axle with ffff (Cant say it) well old spindles... I am lost with the springs.. then I think about a drop tube axle.. please help me out guys.. Looking for Low and as slow as a 440 4spd can be.. LOL

Thanks in advance!

CJO13

2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Believe it or not there was 1 year in the early 30s that Plymouth had a.... gasp.....ifs, then they went back to a straight axle front end.

3. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

Yea I think it was 34...

4. fordv8

fordv8
    from California

If you are keeping the stock parallel leaf set up, most of what you need is available from Butch's Cool Stuff. Dropped axle, steering set up, brakes, etc.

Good luck

CR

5. Jen......

Jen......

6. Part of 34. Patent infringement with GM

Hudson31 likes this.
  7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Thanks for that tidbit...I'll store it away!:)

8. Lexi

Lexi

i got a 6" drop tube axle from ebay that accepts 49-54 chevy spindles and for this i bought a discconversion from speedway ;-)

mine is a 33 plymouth 2dr sedan

9. bgaro

bgaro

how bout something like this?

Attached Files:

10. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

Looks clean bgaro but I was thinking avoid the Ford type look if it can be done. I know I am picky. But I do not have a mopar axle either.

Cjo13

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

Lexi do you have pictures?

12. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

Jen, how are you doing gathering parts? Pm me if you want some good contacts.

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Yeah... Chevrolet invented the A arm independent suspension in 1939, and Chrysler copied it in 1934.

14. drflex

drflex

I'd stick a drilled I-beam on it. no fenderless car should be without one

15. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

They copied it 5yrs before it was invented ???????

16. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

Not sure if you decided which way to go but....

Do whatever you can to stay with the original style to the car. Too many guys go the Ford route because its easy but whats the fun in that. Most are using aftermarket parts anyways. You said everything else on the car will be Mopar so why compromise with the front end. You should be able to find a stock front end from a guy that is streetrodding and Sids can drop the axle to get it down.

Thats my 2 cents

17. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

don 't know if you have started build yet but thought that I'd join in. You could use1/4 elliptical springs on the front if you want to get it low. it will move the wheels in front of the radiator. this is only good if your not running full fenders on front. these Cars with out fenders don't look good or less you run a straight axle. Of course this is just my option!!

18. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

19. Hi,
    I just started this social group for just the occasion. I actually started it about a week ago.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...outh-dodge-mopar-builders-parts-listings.767/

Im going to working on a 33 plymouth also. I've have all the original parts, now just planning out the chassis before buying parts.
    I happen to have the original double dip tube axle and am going to run it.
    I plan to run the original parallel leafs, double dip and get the rusty hope dics setup up front.
    In the rear.. same as you, 8 3/4 mopar rear.

I have not figured out what steering yet, it may end up being a vega box, but not sure yet.

There was a mopar double dip axle in the classifieds not to long ago. The butch kit is a new axle to install with ford parts, spindles, brake,etc. Similar to adding a gasser dropped axle to your frame. Ive personally seen double dip axles modified to be used on tbickets and such.

There seems to be a stigma about running a parallel leaf front suspension fenderless here.
    I may have to run it that way on our project untill the fenders are ironed out.
    Im going to be running fenders, if you dont have fenders there are fiberglass fenders you can run if you have a PD coupe. There is black 33 coupe with fenders is is quite a car for inspiration.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1933-plymouth-coupe.415032/
    Please keep updating..

20. 56 ford pu

56 ford pu
    from texas

If you find a stock dodge axle you can have 1940 ford spindles machined to fit. That's what I did on my 34 pu. Nastalsia dropped axle in ok. Did mine

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!