Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Buick Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by its_a_nick, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Great job love the chop

2. That is one nice chop

3. mundysleadsleds

mundysleadsleds
    from indep. ks

who did the windshield and how did they do it im just starting to chop mine

4. yes!

5. F.C.Fury

F.C.Fury

Damn thats beautiful!!

6. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

I havn't ordered the windsheild yet but it's getting done in finland. I dont know the name of the company, im going threw a guy here in sweden.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. fryguy

fryguy

Any updated pics on how your progressing?

Fryguy

8. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

I think that company is Kuttilan Autolasi here in Finland. Cool looking Buick!!

9. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Kul! I'm just in the process of importing a stock '49 Buick Super Sedanette but wouldn't dare to hack it up... You've got balls and, luckily, skills. Maybe mine will one day get a chop like this, but only if I find people able to help me getting it spot on. I can imagine this kind of fastback chops are VERY difficult... Kustomrama did a '47 in a weekend I believe. Insane! :)

ps I hope to sell my DeSoto (preferably in Sweden) and if I have I will go to Sweden with my Buick this summer. I would love to see yours too!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

One of the best chops on a sedanette I've seen! Beautiful!

11. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

About 1000 small jobbs that take twice as much time than it should.:) All the glas is ordered, the wirering is just about finished. The stainless tim around the side windows is done, put all new scrapers on them. Going to put them on this weekend. Got all the new rubber for the doors and trunk.
    The biggest problem now is what colour to do the interier. I was always going to do a white interier, but then the bloke who is going to do it showed me some black material that was realy nice.
    Wite is nice but might be hard to keep clean. Black might be to dark and to hot. Not sure if a brown colour would look good. Green or blue might look a bit tacky and red is out of the question.
    So thats were i am right now, fighting the interier question.
    Anyone got any suggestions?

Limey Kid likes this.
  12. telekenfun

telekenfun

I'm glad to see you're making progress on all the little things that can really make a difference for a finished car. It can be frustratingly slow sometimes. Our 49 Super Sedanette is painted a deep plum color and the interior is a tannish hued ivory leather (maybe creme but not white). The hue avoids the hard/coldness a white would generate. The contrasts made each POP. Also we painted lower portions of the dash and door garnishes with a matching ivory. The Ivory interior will work with any exterior color change that may be contemplated in the future. When investing $8-12K in hides and labor, you will want the interior to work with that eventuality.
    Best Regards and Good Luck in all your endeavors, KB.

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Great looking ride. Can't wait to see more updates.

14. shadams

shadams

I cant wait to see pics of this car finished. Every thing about it is bad ass. The wheel covers are perfect.

My two cents: Generally speaking, I think a contrasting color on the dash looks good. All white everything would be kind of bland IMO. I cant really picture anything else but black for the rest of the interior, with some chrome/stainless accents that match the o/s trim. But whatever you do I am sure will be perfect.

15. schoum

schoum
    from france

Nice project! I love it!:)

16. guitard

guitard

Your chop guy must have a hell of a time getting his pants on over them in the morning. You do realize that's one of the best chops and finest looking cars on the planet, right? Absolutely amazing. I missed it if you told us what the tires were, though. I'm curious too.

17. desotot

desotot

Wow! very nice!

18. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

awesome thread. that chop was right on the money.

19. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Well, you asked... ...vanilla shake or a light cigar brown. Black or dark brown might die in there as there is no relief for the eye from the black paint. I also wouldn't rule out a classy deep red; it can look very royal. Whatever you choose, it needs to provide a contrast. Nice sled; digging it.

20. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

very very cool, love it!!

21. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Beautiful car!!!

22. "Some more pics of the decklid. My mate Ola Thorslund did all the work. We had a bit of trouble with the decklid. I wanted to get it mocked up before the roof was finished so we could se how it looked. He took the skin of and cut the inner peice into to 3 and reshape the part up towards the roof."

What method did you use to separate the outer skin from the decklid structure. Was the flange just folded back all the way around or did you have to cut it to part them?

23. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

He just folded it back all the way around and lifted it of.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Jay71

Jay71

Surprised no one has mentioned Justin Hills 49 Buick Sedanette. One of my all time favorites. This car looks to be almost a clone of it. Both are beautiful customs.

25. LONG

LONG

looks great mate. Justin Hills is sweet as well. Max Grundy illustrated that one.

grey49ghost likes this.
  26. fryguy

fryguy

This car is gaining much anticipation. Can't wait to see more pics

27. fantastic work, neighbour! i'm watching... :)

28. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Justin Hills '49er and seeing '49 Buick Sedanettes IRL are the sole reason I dream of these cars all the time. I've just bought one so this is one of my most favorite topics.