Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coololdcars, Feb 1, 2014.

1. I've got a straight tube axle (aftermarket and older) It's mounted in my Henry J ala early Ford cross spring style. When turning the wheels the disc brake caliper hits my spring mount. Could I mount the calipers on the front arc of the rotor as opposed to the rear like a normal position??? Or is it turning enough so I may just need to add a stop.

Attached Files:

2. Fenders

Fenders

I'd say you have enough turning radius there, just put in a stop - but if that is the passenger side brake with the tie rod in front of the axle, you have a bigger problem...
    Where's your ackerman?

3. Thats the drag link for the cross steering. The tie rod is hiding in the back!!

4. Fenders

Fenders

Ooop, I see it now, on the steering arm. :eek:
    Looks good !

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't know for you but many cars have them in front

[​IMG]

6. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I agree with the words, but the photo doesn't apply. This appears to be a photo of the rear axle, right rear wheel. Car is facing to the right.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

8. Rear engine, rear wheel drive, rear steer too or
    decorative oil pan screwed to the trunk floor ?

9. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

DUH!!
    I have no idea what I was thinking when I composed my previous response to this thread. Now that I am sober, it does look like a front wheel assembly.
    Once again...DUH!!

10. Looking at picture two, That style of Gm Caliper will get closer to the King Pin as the pads wear's.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way out in front. Far enough out that it might grab and tuck the outside wheel in corner. With any luck, it will just drag it.

12. Can you can swap side's, of course the caliper will be on Front.

Lengthen the stop for now, drive it and see ! Remember the caliper will get closer with pad wear.

13. I have them swapped side for side now, everything clears. Its just that the calipers are out on the front arc. We'll see how it looks when the sheetmetal goes back on. If all else fails I'll make a new caliper bracket that swings it uo enough to clear when mounted in the rearward position....

14. The answer is yes it can be rotated, but just make sure your bleeder screws are still at the top, otherwise bleeding will be a lot more work as you will have to remove the calipers. You will most likely end up switching left and right calipers to get the bleeder screws at the top.

15. PatzPaint

PatzPaint

^^^What he said ^^^^

16. Yep, have them switched so they're on top. I'm more concerned on the looks , as its supposed to be a gasser tribute style and I didn't want any gaudy calipers hanging out there in the wind!!! Maybe I should switch back to drums!!!!

17. Look again, Tie rod is behind the axle

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Screen is too small on this damn smartyphone.