Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical buick drums

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 55willys, Oct 10, 2013.

1. 55willys

55willys

I have searched everywhere. does anyone make new 45 fin Buick brake drums? I see Wilson Welding has some in the works does anyone have an update on those or the Kinmonts? Thanks in advance, Jim (55willys)

2. joeb1934

joeb1934

3. Fake brakes, not a replacement for a Buick drum.

4. I have 4 near perfect used ones for sale. pm me if interested

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

x2

There is a company that will re-line them, but for the cost you can still track down good ones.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

wilson welding in Texas has been advertising "buick finned brakes" coming soon for about 10 years... he's the only one i know of even working on producing them

7. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Problem solved. There are tons of good old ones out there, pluss if they did make them new they would be really expensive I bet.

8. 55willys

55willys

Talked to the foundry where I am having some adapter covers cast and asked about casting Buick drums. They said they couldn't because they had no way to heat the liner to keep it from rejecting the aluminum because of the temp difference. I know that it has been done because we have Buick drums, the question is how. Jim

9. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

The last of the Buick drums were made using the "Alfin" process wherein the cast iron liner was heated to a red color; dipped in a bath of molten aluminum; then (VERY) quickly placed in a permanent mold. The mold was then filled with aluminum. The primary bond is between the iron and the molten aluminum. Secondary bond occurs in the mold:_aluminum to aluminum. This was all done in G.M.'s Bedford, IN foundry-then known as "Fabricast Division".

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I asked Mr. Wilson over the phone if he had made any progress towards producing drums and he said he had sorta put that idea on the shelf cause he was getting too old to take on another project.
    Sorta like me, LOL:)

11. b.r.

b.r.

12. 55willys

55willys

Thank you for that great info. It definitely makes sense as to why the liners are not always centered. Jim

13. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

That sounds like Bob wilson alright....He is completely Old school, He prefers you send him a check or money order through the mail for payment, He is a really cool guy who has hand made alot of really cool stuff. His lincoln and finned backing plates work great. I am looking for one of the speed demon quickchanges he made many years ago...

14. I have a set with "48 Ford backing plates, brgs, etc. for sale and one 45 fin drum right now for sale, all in nice original cond. w/NO broken fins. :cool:
    PM me for info.

15. Not to Hijack this Thread, but I've Got a
    Pair of Aluminum Brake Drums, With 2-1/2 " Steel Liners, that Came off of a Sprint Race Car. They have 5 Raised Ribs Around the Radius, they are Mounted with Thread Hubs, with Stud Pins & Halibrand Pressure Plates & TRi-Bar Halibrands. The Brake Drums
    Don't have a Manufacture Name on them or Mark. I've Talk to Many a Oldtimer, & they says Halibrand Never
    Made Any Brake Drums. I'm thinking that I need To ask Nance Sprint Car Guys. I'll try & Post Pics, as I've never have done it Before. Any Help would be
    Appreciated! But, if a Small manufacturer As Nance Made These, Why can't they Be Made for Buick 45 Finned Drums or RePop's of My Drums? Dereald Millsap
    BigDTexasakid (903) 952-1933.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  16. Andy

Andy

I would think that a two piece design would work. An iron liner with splines with an aluminum drum shrunk over it. High drum temp and cold liner plus maybe a snap ring should hold together. Our usage probably would never get the drum hot. My drums and shoes showed no wear after 100k. The shoes really never seated.

17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Iron finned drums painted silver or hot sprayed with aluminum

posted via smoke signals made with a Mexican blanket

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

19. Oneshotstriper

Oneshotstriper
    from Indiana

I have a set of four that are going on one of buddies rides. Finned aluminum and vintage.