Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 61-64 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Jul 9, 2009.

1. 270ci

270ci

That is TOO COOL. Do you have any more info about this engine? Gotta be some kinda factory experimental/development deal. Noticed the heads have the plugs angled toward the exhaust valves like a more modern design.

2. thunderplex

thunderplex

I have Scarebird front discs on my 1961 Catalina Safari.

Easy installation, just follow the instructions to the letter.

Btw. My wagon is for sale and its a 4 speed.

3. _Dave_

_Dave_

As far as front disc brake conversions for the B body Pontiacs over the past five years or so, Scarebird, Master Power Brakes and a couple of others have certainly been successful in offering great packages that use off the shelf components.

I have 3 Catalinas (U.S. - two 4 door sedans and a 2 door sports sedan) and it's the 2 dr. car that I am converting over to disc using '69 Catalina rotors and calipers (even though these 12" rotors are hard to come by I have enough of them to last me for my lifetime). I'll use 15" wheels of course on this conversion.

I am asking you guys if any of you can recall an article dating back to around 2008 (more or less pre-Scarebird and others) that covered the -1969-70 or so disc brake for the c.1962-64 full size Pontiacs. I have notes from that article but I lost the article (I don't think it was one from Smoke Signals) -- I do recall that the outer bearing needed to be changed due to the difference in taper and that a spacer/washer had to be machined (I do have the specs for that). Tapers if I recall were different only on the outer bearing.... I also recall that the changeover required the use of a non-power brake pedal due to changes in pedal ratio.

As for the conversion I plan to do - besides the complete spindle/rotor/caliper assemblies, I have the entire power brake booster/master cylinder/under dash pedal mount structure and pedal from a '69 Catalina. I even have upper and lower control arms (not needed here for this project)

I would appreciate any information in helping me find the article on the "old school" method... I don't recall any modifications as to ball joints, lower arms, etc. in doing the conversion and I am certain there were no switching left and right spindles and subsequent drilling or re-tapering of tie rod connections. In all the conversion was a fairly simple operation with just a few modifications in keeping the overall geometry "kosher".

Any feedback from those who can recall the article is appreciated and in return I'll post of pics of my progress for the benefit of probably only 1 or 2 people like myself looking to use what I have in lieu of calling Scarebird or MPM. There stuff is quite good but I want to use what I have.

Yep - I'm just another "Dave" here!

4. Hey Dave, I don't ever recall having seen that article or that conversion. I did mine about 1988 just working through specs in the back of catalogs and comparing parts in hand. I'd sure be on of the "1 or 2 like you" that would be interested in the same info and seeing pics of your progress. :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. sodakmini

sodakmini

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390921144.403412.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390921158.173357.jpg
    My 64' Chief

OG lil E likes this.
  6. sodakmini

sodakmini

It has air bags on all 4 corners. I haven't aligned it yet

7. inkstain27

inkstain27

Some updated pic of my GP since I got it painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. inkstain27

inkstain27

Thanks Jeff

9. Love that brown Inkstain! All these good looking 63 & 64's really has me itching to get mine back on the road after a 20 year hiatus. I've become one of those dreaded "I'm going to fix it up someday" guys. LOL Anyone wanna come by and help me cut it in half and put the new rear clip on it that has been sitting here for 20 years? LOL I can't believe I've let it go that long. Where does the time go?

10. inkstain27

inkstain27

Thanks Dr Dave, they really are great cars. every now and then I'll get the itch to maybe get something different. Usually coincides with me not driving the 63 for a couple days. Then I'll drive it and come to my senses.

11. I hear ya. Even though mine has been off the road forever, when I get in it to move it around the shop or driveway, it fit's like a well worn in baseball glove and feels like "home." :)

12. _Dave_

_Dave_

Well -- after spending the last few days doing more research on the 69-70 full size disc brake conversion writeup for the 61-62 B body I finally found the original article dating back to c. 2002.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120201042229/http://www.fullsizepontiacs.com/fsptech.htm

The article sourced from Full Size Pontiacs and contributed by Ray Green covers the entire procedure and what was needed after two years of trial and error. This conversion predates Scarebird and others in providing kit solutions using readily available components. The scarcity of 69-70 rotors presents an issue however this article details a viable solution using the 61-62 original spindles, a manual brake pedal (due to pedal ratio requirements) and machining the 68-70 rotor inner bearing face to fit the larger diameter 61-62 drum spindle.

I will post pictures of the conversion after determining what master cylinder / power booster I will be using (either the original 62 Bendix booster mated to a 77 or equivalent Buick Riviera master or the 69 Bonneville master and booster with pedal assembly that I already have) along with the combination block and proportioning valve (I'm retaining the rear drums) as necessary.

I'm glad I could retrieve this "old school" solution. It's a pretty good one.

:cool:

13. Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to share that Dave! I sure appreciate it and will study it fully. I've contemplated redoing my set up to get away from the fabricated lower a arms.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Hey drdave, inkstain lives up here near me in the frozen tundra of NWA. Haven't gotten together with him yet but will when I get a chance

15. inkstain27

inkstain27

We need to work on making this happen

16. 55chevy

55chevy

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    Bump for a great Poncho thread ;)

17. inkstain27

inkstain27

I know when I got my lowering springs for my GP I called on some springs for the Bonneville and Catalina to see if they would work on my Grand Prix. manufacture said they wouldn't but didn't tell me why, maybe that's the reason.

Thanks, I'm happy with the way it came out, wrecked my brain on what color to paint it for what seemed like an eternity.

18. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I know its a 65 but its the closest thread i'll get on here

Attached Files:

19. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I agree jeff!! Thank u
    Ive always loved the 63-66 pontiacs. So much more character in these car years than most cars in the 60's. And for their size...fast as hell!!

20. wd45gto

wd45gto
    from mi

Here's my 64 tempest wagon

Attached Files:

21. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

a early pic of my 63 grandprix
    about 1988-89
    paul

Attached Files:

22. 64grand

64grand

Here us am update of my 64 Grand Prix.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402884997.509537.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402885011.208645.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402885029.876315.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402885043.441989.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  23. 64grand

64grand

Centurion9 these are for you.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403233564.518946.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403233580.536269.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403233592.802182.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403233604.086326.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403233616.321043.jpg

24. 64grand

64grand

Hi guys I have a 64 Grand Prix and I just broke the crank shaft. I found a 71 455 HO am I going to have to modify the motor mounts or will she drop right in? Any other clearance issues I need to worry about?

25. From what I remember from when I did mine 25-ish years ago, it should drop right in the hole. I don't remember a mount issue at all. Pretty sure I just reused the '64 mounts. One potential problem area, though, could be the starter. You didn't mention about changing the trans, so I assume you are staying with the one in there. I think you will be ok. The earlier Pontiacs had the starter mounted to the trans and the later ones had the starter on the block....think I got that in the right order. That being the case, you shouldn't have any problems there at all.

26. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

This is correct. The newer engine should drop right in, and bolt to the original transmission. The transmission mounted starter will work, or you should be able to use a 1965 or newer block mount starter if you want as well.

27. 64grand

64grand

Thanks guys I have a th400 my original 64 block was one of the lucky ones for a block mounted starter. Performance Rebuilt 71 HO 455 for 5k. What do you think of that price? Hard to find a crate Pontiac engine.

28. Ehrik

Ehrik

hey I'm bumping this. first post on this board. I'm ehrik and I'm 22 and I just picked up this 63 Star Chief. If anyone has a good source for trim pieces help me out lol, I'm missing all the chrome you see on the pass. side for the drivers.

[​IMG]

29. Looks like a good start Ehrik.

30. carguy699

carguy699

I don,t know if it has been mentioned before but the old tv show Naked City has great shots of 60-63 Pontiacs. they must have been sponsored by Pontiac. I believe that it airs on me tv on thurs nights