Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your favorite magazine issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Dec 6, 2012.

1. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I've been sorta thumbing through my well-worn oldies and finally settled on one: the August 1964 "Coupes and Sedans" issue of Car Craft. Mainly for the pair of Deuces on the lower left of the cover... if I were ever to build a 3-window or a tudor sedan I'd want them to turn out like either of those two!
    And then there was a profile article on Bob Hegge, a guy who I thought pretty much had the dream job of travelling around the country photographing rods and customs...
    And there was a Bud Lang how-to article on the basics of welding... and custom painting... I could go on.

This decision may be subject to change, probably the next time I read this thread! :)

Attached Files:

2. grazy

grazy

Rod and Custom Dec 72 it had Richard Graves 1932 Ford Phaeton on the cover in the rain with a couple girls in bikinis .He made it look like so much fun . Graves had the car out in the rain with the top down spread inside had him driving with one of the girls reaching over the windshield wiping water off as he drove down the road.I found it in my dads closet he was heavy into restoring Mustangs at the time and those guys were stuck up and anal argued about everything perfectionist tried to talk him into doing an older car at the time . Wore it out would love have another copy.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That issue actually got me a job a few of years ago! If you look at the classifieds right now, I have a client's Bantam for sale at the moment.

I was out at a local cruise night about four years ago, and one of the guys that I had seen all over for years but really didn't know aproached me and said "I hear your the guy to build a chassis around here". Big bear of a guy, long beard, former biker - I had heard through the grapevine he was at least at one time a fairly dangerous character. He went on, "I bought a Bantam body, and I need a chassis built. I need it done kinda like a little car that ran around my home town of Long Beach in the early sixties - 'course, you wouldn't know any thing about that though..." Before he could say another word I said "You mean Marv Ginther's?" He looked at me completely dumbfounded! I said wait a second, and walked across the parking lot and grabbed that issue out of the front seat of the Plymouth, and walked over and handed it to him... "Like this one, right"? He stammered "Well I guess I found the right guy to build it then"! I've done three other cars for him since then...

4. My favorite would be " Street Rodder " Dec. 1972 vol. 1 No. 8 , because, my car is featured on page 50.

5. Karrera

Karrera

I've been working for the last five years to restore the car to exactly how it looked when Dean finished it in 1957. I've been to Dean's shop and consulted with him on some of the details of the Porsche. Dean worked with the Glasurit paint representative to duplicate the color on the exterior. Luckily the interior had remained undisturbed over all the years since he had built it and I was able to use the original interior pieces to duplicate the replacement panels. I was able to preserve the car so well since I've owned it for the last 41 years.

Dean Jeffries sold the car to Albert Nussbaum who was on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list for Bank Robbery and Murder. Nussbaum was caught and imprisoned but eventually was released and became a Hollywood screenwriter and mystery novel author.

Lots of pictures of the car and its restoration here:

http://solaros1.smugmug.com/My-Cars...arrera/11385180_hGSqHt#!i=800031798&k=zLcCRKN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  6. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

bump for evening crowd

7. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I know it's going to be alittle new for some of you but around 1971 Car Craft Mickey Thompson's Titanium funny car and Speed and Custom 1963 with the artical of build your own drag chassis...very cool....and any magazine with Mickey Thompson and Jungle Jim in it........

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, so it's been a couple of weeks since I have had time to sit and scan some stuff to put up here. By the way, when I started this thread I kinda hoped others would follow suit and do the same (hint, hint).

So, thirty two years ago today I awoke in Minnesota for the first day of my brief existence back there. It was cold as hell, and my dad asked me what I wanted to do with my first day there... I wanted White Castle Hamburgers at the University store just west of down town St. Paul! An oddly specific request, but mine none the less! What I didn't know at that point was that there was and is an absolutely bitchin' used book and magazine store down the street at University and Snelling! I walked in that morning and that day and over the next year I lived there my Magazine collection grew 10 fold. The first batch I bought that day was all of 1965 Rod&Custom, and this in particular March 1965. Anybody that knows me knows I am a closet Model "A" and "T" pervert... This issue didn't help!

Attached Files:

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I realized as I prepped this this morning that I had scanned damn near half of this issue! The only stuff I have "left on the cutting room floor" was the Barris' article of building bucket seats for a "T" bucket, ( using the then unsuspecting Ivo/Roland Perfect "T" bucket as a guinnie pig for the horribleness that was to come...) the 406 T-bird transplant, and a couple of customs. The tech article I do show from this one is one that I have referenced about two million times over my career as a builder simply because it shows a great way to solve a problem. The digger is just flat cool, as is the comp sedan as well.

Attached Files:

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, last batch of scans for this go round! Two of these are significant to me 'cause they are favorites. The '30 pickup is jsut flat awsome in evey way possible and so indicative of the "late show rod" period. That last little gasp before the late sixties style took over and "show cars" became rolling bathroom plumbing displays and such. I have most of a '30 '31 cab in the back of the shop, (by the way, if you have a usable cab back panel you can let go of, let me know!) a Buick 322, and a spare a frame and fenders... Sounds like this one could happen!

The other important one is the coupe... Long time a favorite of mine - just look at that stance! Now imagine it in the bronze color they mention in the article. 'Bout the only thing I would change would be tucking the rear slicks under the fenderwells!

Attached Files:

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

February 1961 ROD & CUSTOM as it was the first time one of my tech stories was published.

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Agreed 100%,.... Gray did the lions share of this issue,.. It was OK to thumb your nose at Resto-Rods (the other "R-R") and build REAL HOT RODS again !.. Up to this point the only difference between restorers and rodders was the drivetrain itself....

All things Traditional and real Hot Rod was in it,... including an article on the sacrilegious act of (dare I say it ?) Chopping a top !... This issue really shook things up !... And for a guy just getting back into it after a trip overseas with his Uncle ,.......This issue made a huge impact on me !

I actually had Gray autograph a copy of the November 1973 Rod & Custom for me about 20 years ago. We had a good laugh about what he wrote along with his autograph ( It had to do with cars and women) But feel it inappropriate for this forum.......

When I asked him to sign it, he got a big smile on his face with his crooked horn rim glasses and asked "Why this issue Dad ?"........ I said , because it's the best issue in years and I think you wrote the entire thing.... He laughed for a while and said... "No,.. we also had an advertising department."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

But oh, the irony.... It's also because of the folks that were more into the Indy Firestones and endless line that formed my vision of what the ultimate hot rod should look like.

I think that is where many fall into a trap. I see it on here all the time. Trying to condense and simplify this whole vintage hot rod thing. I dig cars like Jake's restored Niekamp car but I'm actually more grateful to Jake for his cars that are NOT restorations. He walks the line very well between building his own creations but with enough warm fuzzy historical slant that they don't leave you cold. Funky, bad ass hot rods that are much more about the vibe than the historical accuracy (which, of course, he has proven himself more than capable of as well).

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absatively it's over simplification! But in my mind (strange forboding place that may be!) this IS the begining! I do have to admit that as a younger kid I was thinking exactly what I wrote above. After all, the family cars had slot mags and wide ovals, the shop truck had endless line panel paint, and the family "T"buckets were metalflake purple and green. It took a lot of years of looking to "get" it. But get it I did, and when I had questions this was the article that answered lots of them.

I read ya loud and clear on the Vibe over accuracy deal too. It's easy enough to build a car that features EVERY cool trinket in the book and have it come out looking like, well, a trinket cabinet. Too many perfect things is usually too much. MUCH, MUCH harder to put something together with just enough right that I look at it and make guteral sounds usually associated with intense pleasure...

16. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Well said, need louvers?......

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Well, I know YOU get it.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Over the weekend moving some more of my old magizines out of the basement into the man cave (to make room for another bedroom :rolleyes:) i discoverd a few more of the favorites on my list. Rod & Custom Aug.'96 with an article on Willys gassers followed up on the very next page with an article about Anglia gassers with all the weight brakes and history of the class. (which were only allowed to run small blocks at tracks N.H.R.A. tracks by the way.) So a sbc IS period correct for those cars. And the Sept.'97 issue of R&C with an article about K.S. Pitman. Can you tell that i'm into the 60's Gassers.:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! Scan and post a couple of them.

21. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

No scanner here or i would. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  22. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

And the roadster in the article, as found, is still about although it's a lot shinier today After being used as a suspension engineering mule for decades. . Joe Macs Coupe is one of my all time favorite cars, even the article inspired some early driving practice after reading it...:D
    43 years ago....! sheeit time flies!!

23. November 1964 Super Stock & Drag Illustrated Vol.#1 No.#1 Ronnie Sox AFX Comet shot on the cover taken by my buddy John Durand. Monk Reynolds never paid him for the shot by the way....

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

You'll notice one of Hot Rods 5959 Hollywood Bl. Employee "mAd Man" Bill Burke on that cover with Burke/Cagle streamliner, showing the advertisers that if their product was going to be advertised, it was going to be used as well.

Bill got a lot of free stuff that way��. Very good issue!!!!

25. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

my 2 favorite issues are Rod Action july 85 issue p-26 that features my 26 ford that i didnt know was a feature hotrod till after i bought the car in 1997!!!!!!!!! the next issue would be HOTROD jan. 77 of the super bell coupe.both are in the magazine rack next to my recliner..................

26. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Does anyone know in which Motor Trend from 1949 there is an article about the new 1949 Buicks? Since Motor Trend started in september of that year it could be in one of four issues.

27. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

the aug. 1959 issue of Hot Rod because it is the first one I bought. Also the issue with Chilli Cataldo's " Little Deuce Coupe " on the cover. I believe that issue was in 1961 but I forget the month, I have to search my collection.

28. Car Craft, September 1982, Street Machine Nationals Issue, My family and I were in it as we were all dressed the same, Cowboy hats and red shirts.

29. R&C RON

R&C RON

Gil Granuccis coupe is still in his garage, it was beautifuly restored about 5 years ago and was shown at the 60th Grand National Roadster Show.

30. After seeing the Calori coupe for the first time, I just knew I had to get this Nov. 1949 issue of Hot Rod Magazine . The advertisements in this mag are crazy! Did you know beehive filters were only 3 bucks back then??:eek:

Attached Files: