Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 Ford Stake Bed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SmokeChopper, Feb 4, 2014.

1. SmokeChopper

SmokeChopper
    from iowa

I just stumbled onto a 38 Ford stake bed. My friend said it was an original 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton with a stake bed and I can't find anything about this type of bed in the smaller trucks. Just wondering if there is anybody out there can give me advice on which way to go with this project meaning is this a weird combo that should be kept stock or made into a traditional hot rod.

thanks in advance for any advice you guys have.

Attached Files:

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

there was a thread either on here or over at www.fordbarn.com. Original Ford stake beads are not that common anymore. buy it cheap and build it any way you want.

3. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Sell the back end if you don't want it or restore it if that's your thing... ooorrrr build a traditional hotrod 38 Ford stake bed truck.

4. SmokeChopper

SmokeChopper
    from iowa

Thanks for your advice I looked around here and couldn't find anything about the stake beds I know almost nothing about the old Fords

5. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

That is a factory deal, according to my truck book it is called a " type 860 "

6. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

I think it would be neat to keep it as part of the project whether restored or customized, looks like not many around

7. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

Don't know if they're rare or not, had a light 37 ford (1/2 or 3/4 ton) was set up the same way with the pockets in the fender tops etc. Sold it to a friend and he made a cool little bobber truck out of it. In my opinion, the pickups were cooler than flat beds.

8. Bart78

Bart78

You could probably find some more info over at the ford barn.

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I'm guessing it is a 39, looks like the front window regulator is on top of the dash not a T handle on the front of the dash. And I can't tell but no ashtray in the dash either (39 didn't have one). Also there was a 1/2 ton and then the 1tonner.

I would venture to say they are fairly rare. This is a 39 pict below. I also think this would look pretty cool with either just the flatbed or real short stakesides. Oh and a 2-3 chop! If you need a hotrod. But I think it would look better without a chop...

If you choose to buy/build it as a boxbed, I certainly wouldn't trash the back, sell it or trading it to someone. IMO

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117218&highlight=stakebed+fenders

This one looks so nice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  10. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

A little lowering and short stakesides

[​IMG]

same with a 2-3 chop...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes I like 38-39 trucks :rolleyes: I think a stake truck would be great!

Attached Files:

• 391a.jpg
      391a.jpg
      File size:
      331.8 KB
      Views:
    • 391b.jpg
      391b.jpg
      File size:
      331.5 KB
      Views:
    • 38b.jpg
      38b.jpg
      File size:
      327.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  11. finn

finn

My grandpa had a 37 1/2 ton factory stake bed like that. Unfortunately it didn't survive the barn fire which started after the lightning strike. Just found a picture of it a couple of weeks ago while going through my late mom's possessions.

That would make a neat hot rod.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. FarmRod

FarmRod

smoke chopper, id be intersted in the stake bed if you were going another direction...
    farmrod

13. SmokeChopper

SmokeChopper
    from iowa

wow thanks for all your info i've been trying to figure this out for a few days now and couldn't find anything.

my project i got now is a 39ish dodge cab with a 20,000lb eaton rear axle with super singles a front axle from a 450 super duty powered by a 4bt cummins. I came across this Ford and it is a way nicer cab with title plus I really want to run the hood and grill but wasnt sure if it would be smart to cut up that truck now im thinking i will not build my own box but adapt the stake bed for a different look.

Thanks again for all your help

14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I hope by that you mean restore it in a tradtional hotrod sense ;) not a rat rodish mess. The sample i posted even with my ps mods is still 90% stock looking. It is why mods like it will last the test of time. Classic styling. If your going to hack it up, sell it.

15. SmokeChopper

SmokeChopper
    from iowa

Sorry i wasn't as clear before about cutting it up that was my question is this a nice truck to keep stock. I would be sick if i took a cool rare thing and cut it all up when there are so few out there.

thanks for your input Saxon I'm not really set up to build a nice stockish truck right now maybe I'll save for the next project

16. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

It is yours to do like you want, not that that was your plan.

Oh and thank you for understanding. :);)

17. Buckeyedon

Buckeyedon
    from Ohio

Would be a cool hotels parts hauler.

18. this looks awesome and you're not gonna see another one at most shows you'd go to.

19. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If you need the cab, frame, title, etc.... Use it. My thought is on saving the stake bed, wood for templates, and fenders. Take pictures and keep every nut, it would be a shame to alter or cut up the bed ensemble. The rest of it, have at it!

20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

"...smart to cut up that truck now im thinking i will not build my own box but adapt the stake bed for a different look."

Build a stake bed for your dodge, its not original anyway. Pass or pass on the stakebed.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  21. The stake bed on your truck is original. Plenty of them built but few remain. The flat top rear fenders used on the flatbed are super rare. Your truck is a 1/2 ton. '39 was first year Ford made a 3/4 ton. 3/4 ton is 122" wheelbase. 1/2 ton is 112" same basic feame as passenger car.

22. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

That truck is cool, keep it original. Those factory cut-out rear fenders are especially rare too.

23. I had this 37 a few years ago...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Would love to purchase the bed from you if you end up not using it.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you lived closer, I'd put in a bid for the bed, too. Did you get any stakes with it? Gary