Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features traditional t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merles_garage, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bonesy

bonesy

Damn... that looks so cool.

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Don't listen to them Chip. And I like it as it is as much as they do. (that's a mouth full) Finish your plan for the car or you will never get it out of your system. That T deserves to be finished. Competition orange, The other rims and tires. Make it right. And you know what is right for '60s as well as I know the '50s.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, it will get painted! I too like the brown gellcoat and general rough demeanor, but its in person allot "rougher" than it looks in pictures. It's looking less and less like LARS is actually going to be a workable date for completion though. Too many jobs on the horizon to be doing to get my stuff done... Story of my life!

4. Chuck R

Chuck R

Wheels and tires look perfect on your car., what size wheels and tires are on the front?
    chuck

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Chip

It is not my intent to pressure you into finish "the ugly T". Or maybe it is. I know that everybody doesn't have the luxury or desire to hang onto a rod forever as I have. Maybe I'm being selfish but i would really like to see this car finished by you. I don't think anybody could do it as well as you. Then again If I were in your shoes and I had gotten enough "ugly" out of the car to make it desirable to others and somebody "made me an offer I couldn't refuse"---------. Well no pressure gate 1 will be there in 2015.

Gary

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My fronts are 16X5, with a Firestone 5.00X16 ribbed tire. have to stress though to those that aren't following my thread on the car that these wheels and tires are actually temporary. I have a full set of 15X6 and 15X8 American five spokes for this that will go back on as soon as I can afford another pair of slicks for the rear. Then my Halibrands can go back to their rightful place on my never ending '29 roadster pickup. Looks like it will be soon, too! I'm damn tired of being broke!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No pressure at all! I too want to se this car to completion, big time! I have a reputation of building stuff to "roller" status then selling it. The next owner then finishes it and get all the accolades, (rightfully so) and I start on what ever next vision is romping around my brain. I'm kind of tired of that scenario. It might sound sort of heady, and I don't think this will be the "one", but someday I would really like to build and own a car that would be known at least locally as the "Quinn car". I'm not big on immortality or passing my name along as I avoided children and such, but I always though that was the coolest way to be remembered by my peers. Sort of the way I sort of whisper "the Neikamp car" or "Dick Kraft's roadster"....

I have a project in the shop right now that is just about done that has consumed more than double the time I allotted for it, and some of that time was intended to be used finishing the repairs to my beloved '48 Plymouth so I would have more transportation. If this is getting painted before LARS, a bunch of things will have to happen soon, and I'm not seeing them coming together as quick as they should. We'll see. Either way, done or not I'm taking this one to LARS this year. I WILL have Judy in the passenger seat with me too! She wants to brag and be tough with her makeup counter pals about being a hot rod girl, well it's time for a baptism of fire!

As far as selling this one, It's not going to happen soon. I have had a couple folks approach me about buying it, but truth be told if I sell it I am in deep problems again as I am then hoofin' it around instead of driving. Not good. The other problem has been that a couple of these folks were looking at it as a "cheap" way to get my set of wheels, and they just flat aren't for sale, and never will be. If someone hits me with a daffy figure when the Americans are back on, that might be a different deal, but probably not... See, I've grown accustomed to it's face...

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I understand running what ya got for tires for a time,its what I'm doing also,there wrong ones but it rolls even if the rod is too low by a 1in.or so for now:(,an the look to me is off becuase the tire front and back are too short and rears too wide. I'll be putting some new fronts on next week,but going to have to save for some higher rears. I just restored my 1959 build,I drove in highschool an on tell 1965,it's really a bobtailed "A" roadster,but a lot of guys think its a T.

My restore ;http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793393

Attached Files:

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

The T in my avatar is an all-steel 1927 - just a tad more leg room. My youngest son is 6'2" and he's fairly comfortable on local trips.

Attached Files:

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I guess you didn't sell it ? Any more larger pictures ?

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Glad to hear you have decided to go to LARS this year. You and Judy will probably have a better time parking in the swap area anyway. That's where everything's happening.

12. LongT

LongT

What size are your rear tires, rim, height and tread? I'm thinking of replacing the M/T Sportsman on my T with something narrower. I need the height to be at least 31 inches.

Thanks,

Bill

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The rears on my car are Halibrand No holes that are 16X6, and the tires are Coker's Firestone dirt track replica at 8.90X16 I haven't measure the height in awhile, but I believe it is at about 32"... Now, my slicks the car is really set up around check in at about 29" or so, and look very nice on the car. It does become a question of ride height at some point with these cars, as it gets lower you can drop your tire height down a bit and still keep the car's proportion, so a 31 might not be truly necessary for your car.

Truth be told, to my eyes, my rear wheels and tires are almost cartoonishly too tall for this car. I also wish my Halibrands were 7", but that is a whole 'nother ball of wax...

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I wouldn't miss LARS for anything in this world! This will be number 26 for me. When I was a corporate guy, as I was signing my contract papers with the company, they asked me if I have any "religious days" that I would absolutely require off during the term of my employment. Being of a non - religious nature I thought for a minute and said "Yes, Father's day weekend I must at any cost make a Pilgrimage to Pomona, Ca. I require that I be there on the Thursday proceeding by sunset." Five times the company paid my airfare and weekend to get me there and never questioned it. Yup, my religious holiday! This'll be the first time a female has been allowed though.

15. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I really dig this one and every time I see it I have to look it up for more info.

Attached Files:

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You could do a lot worse than copying or even cloning Ivo's T or the nailhead powered one I saw at Bonneville a few years ago. Ivo is unapologetic about copying Graboski's Kookie Kar or probably Norm's early version that was painted black and sat lower in back.

Attached Files:

17. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Yeah I really like Ivo's car and Graboski's car too. I just like that low look the best but the kick up in the rear is starting to grow on me more and more too.

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

couple changes to mine in the two years since I posted a picture here

[​IMG]

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

20. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Very nice looking bucket. Are those wire wheels? I have a thing for wire wheels as of late. What are the size?

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope, not wires. They look like '50s - '60s Ford 15" truck steelies with late forties caps. If I had a guess I'd say 5.60X15 on the front and 8.20X15s on the back. Now I'll shut up and let Paul answer....

22. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That just looks to be perfect it gives it that stance I really like.

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

pretty much spot on except the rear tires are L78-15s :)

24. mustang9093

mustang9093
    from Indiana

Looking for help picking some for tires. Mid to late 60s vibe. I see Coker has some Pro Trac 60 series with matching fronts. The wheels are 15x5 and 15x8.

Attached Files:

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just an opinion, but the really low profile stuff like 60 series stuff and Indy rain tires really didn't start showing up commonly until the seventies. And, again MY opinion, never quite looked "right" a 'bucket simply because they are too short. I like a rear tire on these in the 28.5 to about 31 inch range personally, and about 24-25.5 on the front. Late sixties cars still fairly commonly ran pie crust cheaters, L 78-15s, blue Streak slicks, a few ran the new soft wall slicks that started popping up in '66 or '67 or so. Just some thoughts...

26. inkstain27

inkstain27

That's awesome!

27. inkstain27

inkstain27

I'm with you louvers, currently running 78-15's on all four corners on mine. Saving up to get some new front tires. looking into maybe 560-15's.

[​IMG]

28. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I like the look of a little taller tire in the rear and small tire in the front. I also kind of like the thin back tires.

Did anyone get the Speeway parts book this month for T's? The Tribute T has the size wheels I'm talking about and I need to go back and look at Rod & custom to see what they used.

I also like mag wheels so not sure where I fall now lol.

Hey Louvers the Roadster body I was looking at the guy sent me a text today. He sold the body while getting ready to take pics of it. A guy driving by saw the body and bought right on the spot. So goes my luck lol.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, that sucks! There is more out there, just keep lookin'...

30. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks man, at that price I was all over it.

I have a questions with the T's and you being a louver guy. Did anyone ever louver the side doors? Would be interesting to know if they did and if it was for air to be put into the car for cooling the passengers.