Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to see in indy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodyTom, Feb 3, 2014.

1. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

going to autorama in indiianpolis next weekend, what is there to see besides indianpolis measeum??

2. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best steak house in the world. St. Elmos downtown. If you go you have to get a shrimp cocktail.

3. Indy museum, Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg museum, Zakira's shop, GMC Bubba's shop, etc, etc, etc

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder what is standing at the Chevrolet Brothere and Morten & Brett address today? Bob

5. You just want to find out where the chicken coop was out back, so you can start digging :D

6. Midget25

Midget25

You need to swing by Kellys Pub on 10th Street. Lots of racing pictures,parts and good food...............

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

One of my last trips with the wife we stopped at the art museum at the university

8. IMS Museum

Ray Skillman's Classic Car Museum in Greenwood (just South of Indy). Museum of classic and muscle cars.

Stutz Business Center (original home of the Stutz Motorcar Company) in downtown Indy has had a car collection on display in the past, have not been there in years so not sure what is there now.

Rolls Royce Heritage Museum

Dallara IndyCar Factory in Speedway has tours. Shop tour of them making IndyCar chassis, there's racing simulators, wind tunnel demos, etc.

In Brownsburg (just west of Indy) there are a bunch of NHRA race shops, Don Schumacher racing, John Force Racing... sometimes their lobby-gift shops are open, might get lucky and get a shop tour. Same for IndyCar teams in Indianapolis of Sarah Fisher, Andretti, Panther Racing, etc. Might check their websites for hours/availability. Most shops tours are only available during open houses or appointments, however I've gotten a quick tour of some by just stopping by…

Auburn Cord Duisenberg Museum is north of Fort Wayne on your way to Indy.

A lot of rod shops in the area, but no open house/gatherings that I know of.

If you are interested in vintage wartime vehicles, Ropkey Armor Museum in Crawfordville, IN is very good. I saw his massive collection before it became a museum in the late 90's and it was unbelievable!

9. Union Jacks at Crawfordsville rd & N High School near I 465 also has a lot of racing pictures & helmets. Usually a race car is there.

10. rooman

rooman

Brownsburg is about 8 miles outside the 465 loop and we have JoKerr fab, Walt's Hot Rods, my shop etc. The big time drag race teams will be at Pomona for the Winternationals so not much going on in their shops but worth a drive by.

Roo

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Sadly, the Chevrolet Brothers' shop at 410 W. 10th St. was sacrificed several years ago to the gods of downtown/ urban renewal. The old water company canal, which was designed & built to emulate San Antonio's River Walk, was extended northward a few blocks and destroyed that property. I doubt if any of the City's "movers & shakers" even realized what was there.

I can't immediately lay my hands on Morton & Brett's address-otherwise I'd give you an update on that as well.s

12. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

13. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

There are NO commercial buildings (or remains) at 811 E. 23rd ST. (Morton & Brett's address). It appears that the neighborhood was rehabbed several years ago and cleared for residential development.

14. paintcan54

paintcan54

I'll be showing my T- bucket in the Motorama part you can't miss it a 70s Fad T (Hot Rod Magazine Dec.2011)( not HAMB friendly). If you want stop by say hey. Maybe we can hook up with some of the hot rod builders in town,

15. mortys40

mortys40

Try Mug & Bun on 10th street, great burgers fries & rootbeer, Curbhops even in the winter, also Kings ribs on 16th street, messy but awesome !

16. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

X2 on the Mug n Bun.

17. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

X3 on Mug n Bun - onion rings to die for!!