Register now to get rid of these ads!

Introduction & engine pull question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sig556, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Sig556

Sig556

Hi all,

First time here, but I've lurked for a while and think I can find out what I need from y'all.

Approx. a year ago I purchased a '55 New Yorker Deluxe St. Regis from an estate. the vehicle was garaged stored from '94 (husbands D.O.D.) to '07 (wife's D.O.D.) and in a storage unit from '07 to April 2013 when I took it home. To my knowledge, it is a one owner vehicle; if not, the second owner purchased in '57ish and owned it until I purchased in 2013.

My intention is to keep it original and use it as a daily driver. I'm not looking for a show car, at this point.

I am a novice when it comes to all this, but I enjoy learning and don't mind getting my hands dirty. What I've done in the last year: repaired/cleaned up the brakes; cleaned up the master cylinder, rehab on the engine compartment wiring; rebuilt the carb, pulled the H2O pump and cleaned it up - although it still needs to be rebuilt, replaced the battery cables, and replaced the fuel pump. All of this in addition to the normal fluid replacements & fuel system clean up, prior to getting her running.

It runs now and the engine is solid (so say some mechanic friends), although at some point it will be worth going through. I've had it out on the street and I get the looks, which is nice.

Now for the question:

I'm pulling the engine for various reasons. I need to pull the radiator to get it repaired, I need to replace motor mounts and at rebuild the front end. I've got small leaks at the exhaust manifold on both sides, I want to replace the oil filter with a 30 degree adaptor for a spin on filter type, I would like to have the starter looked over (it's a hard start, but usually kicks over), clean up the valve covers, the valley cover, and clean up a little bit of rust in the engine compartment. So I figured it would just be as easy to pull it and make it easier for me to work on.

1) What are your thoughts on pulling the engine and trans or just the engine?

2) If I pull just the engine, is it better/easier/whatever to separate at the engine from the bell housing or the bell housing from the transmission?

Again, I'm a novice and I haven't really found any solid info on this.

Thanks in advance for all the help?

Edit:

I should have mentioned the following:

a) It is a '55 331 Hemi - no extended bell housing
    b) Not really a daily driver. I have a truck, car, and motorcycle for that. to be more precise, I'm not looking to sink big $$ into it now. Just want a clean good looking car (includes engine compartment), that I can take out on the weekends.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Welcome!

Buy a shop manual, first. Those early automatics are kind of tricky.

If you're going to pull the engine just for kicks, you'll also want to replace all the gaskets and seals, and the freeze plugs.

I would not get a spin on filter adapter unless it's impossible to buy replacement filter elements, which I kind of doubt.

3. while i'm not familiar with that motor , i would probably pull the engine and transmission together. once they are out you can separate them

4. Sig556

Sig556

BTW,

Here are some picks:

Attached Files:

5. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Hello, welcome. Nice car!!!

I hope you're not too disappointed about how perfect the body looks. If you just can't stand it, please PM me and we can find it a new home.

6. 57 Ford Kustom

57 Ford Kustom

I agree with 3 window, I'd pull both together it will be easier to seperate and put back in as one unit IMHO.
    Tim

7. squirrel

squirrel

...going to be a LOT of weight swinging on that hoist, if you pull it as one unit

8. MRTS33

MRTS33

Honestly IF it's going to be a daily driver for now I don't think I would go to the trouble of pulling the engine and tranny. Doing the work that you've described isn't that hard to do in the car.

9. 57 Ford Kustom

57 Ford Kustom

When I pulled my 351w with FMX tranny it was a lot of weight, just have to take your time and don't do anything stupid!
    Tim

10. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

X's 2
    If I pulled it, I would do a full rebuild on the motor and trans.

11. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

By the way, Welcome to the HAMB!

12. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Yea, if I were you, novice, I would not pull it. As said, you can do all that stuff in the car. My fear is, after you get it apart you might not get it back together. Nothing against you, I've just seen it happen so many times for various reasons. Time, money, skill, ect...

13. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Welcome to the HAMB and what a great looking car. Love that color combination.
    You may want to join the forwardlook site (www.forwardlook.net) as they specialize in Chrysler products from 1955-1961.
    Your engine is a 1955 Hemi engine and is probably a 331 cubic inch variety.
    There is a great junkyard that caters to Chryslers in Williams California called Big M. He is a member here on the HAMB and at the forwardlook. He certainly can help with any parts you may need.
    Good luck with your build!!!

14. Sig556

Sig556

I already have the shop manual and it has been helpful.

Why would you not go with the an oil filter adapter?

15. Sig556

Sig556

Thanks guys.

I'm also a member of the Forwardlook. They have been very helpful. I just like to see what else is out there.

As for doing the work in the car, yes that is an option; however, this is as much about learning as it is getting the work done. My first car was a '67 Malibu (2dr ht) that could have been so much more had I been more confident in my abilities and willing to try things. Now that I'm much older (wiser is still up for debate), I want to do what I didn't do back then.

Also, I use the term novice because, next to most that are on these forums, I have little experience with vehicle repair/modifications, etc. Hence the learning portion of this particular project. For instance, I did rehab the brake system which consisted of a complete tear down at each wheel, (which includes pulling the front & rear hubs to get to the drums), first attempted to rebuild the wheel cylinders but they were shot, so I replaced them, replaced brake lines, pulled the master cylinder and confirmed it was O.K.; put it all back together (replaced the wheel bearing while I was there), bleed the system and got the car on the road. Also, she was running rough, so I did my first carb rebuild. I may not work as fast as some, but I go slow and make sure I understand what is I'm doing.

I have some good friends who wrench for a living and I have used their expertise, but I want to do as much myself as I can. See my previous about the Chevelle.

16. Sig556

Sig556

I've thought about that, but I hear it can be fairly expensive and I'm not ready to pony up that much. However, I have not ruled that out yet, and, knowing myself, once get into, it'll probably happen.

17. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Welcome from wi nice car you can find all the parts to your hemi on the hot heads web site I would pull the motor to clean of.and do what you want