Register now to get rid of these ads!

What bellhousing for a t-5 to Chevy ok banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willbierfarms, Feb 3, 2014.

1. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

Which bellhousing do I need for putting a t-5 behind a Chevy ii banger? I was told the firebird and camaro tilt the trans I know the banger is the same bolt pattern as a sbc but I'm so gm illiterate I'm at a loss trying to find it

2. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Depends on the T5. Is it a 14 or 26 spline input shaft?

3. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

14 spline

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I am not familiar with the Chevy 2 banger so I gotta take your word that it matches an sbc. But... if that is the case... a Muncie 4 speed bellhousing will be what you need. Either steel or aluminum.

Drill the mounting holes on the gearbox case to1/2". Bolt it up to the bellhousing. Test fit onto the banger without the clutch. Do not tighten it down until you are 100% sure that the input shaft does not bottom out on the end of the crankshaft. If it does bottom out before the bellhousing is tight to the block, trim the end of the input shaft accordingly. Test fit again until the clearance is correct. Be damn sure it isnt hitting the crank before tightening it down or you could break an ear off the aluminum gearbox.

5. A T5 has the basic Chevrolet bolt pattern, it will bolt on using the stock bellhousing. The trannys that tilt to the drivers side have Ford bolt patterns and , you don't wanna use those.
    Everythibg you ever wanted to know about T5 is here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169265

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014