Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 Fleetline Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnwd98, Jul 6, 2013.

1. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Decided the next hardest area to repair was the trunk lid and tail panel. While I was at it I decided to make a roll pan to replace the bent bumper.

Attached Files:

2. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

OK, what am I doing wrong? I can only upload one picture at a time!
    Here's the bottom of my trunk lid. I welded a mount for the Blazer tail gate "catch"...I don't know what else to call it. The latch part is mounted in the trunk so I could use a cable and the motor from the keyless entry to open it.

Attached Files:

3. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Primed the rear panel and trunk lid. This is one of the other pctures I wanted to include on the previous post but, the web site wouldn't let me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. That looks nice and clean . Good job !

5. coronetfreak

coronetfreak

I too can relate with north Dakota cars. I have been working on a 53 Dodge

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Like the wheel stands in the picture that shows the rear panel.

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good.Another fun build on the H.A.M.B.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Thanks everyone. It's good to hear that someone is checking in on me. I'm positive I scraped, vacuumed, swept about 10 gallons of dirt from the frame and body. There also appears to be tire chain damage on all four wheel openings!
    I made the wheel stands last Winter to be able to have the car sitting up high enough to work under or on the lower half of the body and yet still be sitting on the suspension so everything would be in place the same as sitting on the ground.
    Keep the comments coming. I'm always interested in what people have to say or ask, I may even learn something! Or maybe I can help someone else.

9. 50 Fastback

50 Fastback

Haven't checked in on you in a while, you really got a lot done. Looks awesome! Here are a few update pictures of mine.

Attached Files:

10. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

50 Fastback, Good to see your making progress too. Is that color on the dash and steering wheel any clue to your thoughts on an exterior color?

11. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

1. On to the next part of this project, Right rear quarter.
    2. Rust has been cut away and inner panels made.
    3. Lower quarter repair panel done and ready to weld on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  12. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Panel welded on, welds ground and, ready for filler.

Attached Files:

13. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

I love watching these sort of builds, using whats at hand, and low budget. great to see it on here, keep up the good work

14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I know the feeling, my '50 came from North Dakota also, but it's pretty solid with the exception of the front floor pans. I'll check in from time to time to see your progress. Looking good

15. 50 Fastback

50 Fastback

johnwd98, the interior is going to be all red, exterior will be matte black.

16. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

It looks like the dash and steering wheel are red metalflake.

17. the-rodster

the-rodster

The sending unit on the pickup will be 90 ohm, you need 30 ohm for your stock 50 gauge, I believe.

I bought a 30 ohm sender, and adapted it to the stock fuel pickup, and it works great with the stock gauge in my 49 GMC.

I did a very similiar build a few years ago, with a 49 GMC and 91 Cadillac donor vehicle.

Looking good.

Rich

18. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

the-rodster, As much as I would like to use the stock gauges, I can't see how I could make them all work. My 700R4 trans had a 2:74 rear and I used a 3:73 rear. Who knows if any the original gauges still work anyway. There's also an issue with the amp gauge only going to 30 amps. And an amp gauge is a fire hazard waiting to happen. I'd prefer a volt meter gauge so, you know some of my thoughts on this now. I have no idea what I'm going to do yet for gauge. I do know that I don't want to cut up my dash though.

19. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Finally! primer on the right rear quarter!

Attached Files:

20. the-rodster

the-rodster

I went online somewhere and gave my tire height and rear axle ratio, and it told me what color gear to use in the tranny.

I verified it with a GPS it is spot on.

I used another 10 guage wire to bypass half of my ammeter, it seems to work correctly.

You might be surprised about old gauges, they usually work foreever.

Rich

21. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the info!

22. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

I'm not getting much done these past few weeks. Went to North Dakota to see in-laws, about a 800 mi. round trip. Drove into ND snow storm. The next night it was -20 F. Then the starter went out. The wife's SUV is a Explorer. Not easy to get the starter out, had to remove bolts from the front diff. We got back to Minnesota and the rack was leaking. Installed a reman. and that leaked. The second one seems good. Oh, it snowed here for 3 days so, the was more work that took me away from my obsession (hobby) with my Fleetline. This is sounding more like my personal journal then a build journal, I should stop now. lol

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep after it!

24. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Thanks BrerHair. I will. Looks like the weather might cooperate a little this week. It's finally going to be above zero F. most of the week and not much of a chance for snow. And, I'm caught up with some of the other things that needed to get done. So, maybe I can get back into the Fleetline routine again.

25. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

A little more progress.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  26. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Update! I've been working on my Fleetline. Doing body work and getting pretty burnt out on it. Finished the left inner door and jamb. Looks like someone walked across the roof at one time so there were a lot of those half circle dents to hammer out. Actually they came out pretty good but it was still a long way around that roof to fill and sand, and fill and sand....Working on the left fender now. That of course was worse then it looked at first glance. Welded all the moulding holes and welded in a patch where the rocker moulding was. Above and below the rocker moulding were ok but the dirt packed in under the moulding and the fender rusted from the outside in. Too cold here to prime anything, especially the roof. Most of our days have been in the single digits for highs or not even above 0 F. Hard to keep a garage warm when running an exhaust fan

27. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Left fender is ready for primer.Started on right fender. Almost identical damage. All four wheel openings look like a PO had used tire chains..broken tire chains, where one or more of the cross chains had broken and the end was hitting the wheel opening. Waiting for the weather to improve (warm up) before doing any priming. Woke this morning and it's -16 F. Yesterday was a short warm spell. 19F. Melted the black ice on the roads.

28. Nezzy51

Nezzy51

Just found this thread. Cool project and making good progress. I too am waiting for the weather to improve. After the last propane bill for the house and garage I turned the heat down in the garage and went in the house.:( Been working on the 41 chev with a 51 chev "waiting in the wings".

29. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

Thanks Nezzy51. One of the few advantages of living in town is having natural gas to heat with. The price is on the rise for that too but, still a bargain compared to the alternatives.
    Been working on the right fender. Same rust as the left, plus more dents. I was hoping this would be the easier fender, ha! When will it end! Next is the hood. I've only noticed 5-6 dents. That means there are 15-18 dents. Looking for a center strip molding for the hood. I want to splice a piece in where the hood ornament used to be.

30. stimpy

stimpy

nice project , the photos of the rear wheel housing gave me some info I was looking for as I am not looking into doing both of mine and the inners and outers plus the floors , I have to wait till spring as I do not have room in the garage as its under the bedroom and will be doing it elsewhere .