Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Don't know what you guys are talking about.....:rolleyes: Just because I once managed to make East Lansing, Mi a stopover on a road trip between Newport News, Va and San Antonio, Tx. (in BOTH directions!) doesn't mean I had pussy on my mind! It's just a 728 mi side trip, and it was worth it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

this is some funny shit..being knocked out with your own wrench, trash compacted in a honda!!! going postal on a stapler!!!!! And what car show is happenng in Deer Valley?

3. daddio211

daddio211

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Albert Eschenbaugh's yearly Bonneville fund raiser... Gotta keep him in beer up there some how! It's Saturday morning on Deer Valley road at about tenth street.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

6. Daily humor at its best!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

We aims to please...

8. Hey guys, don't forget heaps of photos of the Deer Valley gathering please, pretty please....

9. When and where are we meeting to drive up in our cars?

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm going to call Ronnie in a bit and find out what time we will all get together, then I'll call you and let you know. Not sure if Lee is in town yet to drive the Panel up, but we should be able to get a pretty good crew up for this gig.

Yuppppp! the camera is fully charged and already under the 'Bucket's seat, ready for action!!! I'll post up my pictures here on Saturday evening.

11. von Dyck

von Dyck

To Barakat: The Canadian T touring cars were built with four functioning doors, although the driver's door was useless for entry or exit. They were built that way for export to "down under" right hand drive. The USA built Ts were actually three door cars, and in the case of roadsters - one door!

12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Well that answers one of my questions. Saw on Facebook a while back a video of a guy starting an old T roadster or front of a touring that had a drivers door opening. I couldn't figure it out. Now I know. Learn something every day.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  13. Yeah and T roadsters up north had both left and right opening doors.

14. jalopy45

jalopy45

This picture has been reworded all over the net but this one seems to fit Chip;, [​IMG]

15. von Dyck

von Dyck

When I began my T Bucket build in '84, it started out as a Canadian built touring sitting in a cow pasture at an abandoned farm site. It had the left functioning door. I cherried out that door and side. But then I came across a badly rusted, dented and folded American left side (with the fake door) sitting on a farmer's stone pile! It was there with a pile of other rusted "farm" metal and junk. It was no freebie - he needed $20 for me to take it away. I was delighted to have access to the correct piece. Looking back on the mega hours required to put this one into useable condition, would have been further ahead to buy a new side from Rootlieb.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Funny this subject should pop back up again! The next big build I have coming in is for my buddy Roy, and it's the one I have been waiting to do for some time now. Back in the sixties, Roy worked at LIONS drag strip, and hung out several of the now common name type guys in our deal from that era. One in particular was Norm Grabowski, and also Kay Trapp. Kay bought Grabowski's red '25 touring at some point in '62 or '63, and Roy rode in it quite frequently with both friends and had wanted to clone it all his life. Well, long story short, now is the time! I found him a very nice '25 touring body and fenders that a friend was selling as he had decided to build a speedster instead. I'll be building the frame, chassis, mounts, firewall, etc. for this one. Funny thing, I have enough "T" stuff squirreled away that as I put his chassis together, I'll be duplicating it for myself to go under my own steel '23 roadster that will also be full fendered.

The one thing Roy had never understood was why the Grabowski touring's left front door didn't open... Said it puzzled him forever, and I explained to him how the controls were laid out in a stock "T", and I guess it was the first time anybody made him understand why that left door was non-functional. I managed to find not too long after the body purchase a Canadian left front door at a swap down here, So now, as part of the build on this car, I will be cutting the drivers side fake door out and creating a jamb for the same. Should be both fun and interesting at the same time!

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Funny! But I pretty much ALWAYS drive a hot rod! :D

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sooooo.... Damn, what a weekend! Albert's yesterday morning, Glendale swap with a buddy EARLY this morning! We sold almost 400,00 dollars of 1.00 and 2.00 stuff. Stuff from this estate buy that he was gonna throw away! by 10:00am he said I was making him tired just watching, and that he never saw someone "work" a crowd at a swap before! did I mention that I also grew up in sales?

So, I promised that I would post a bunch of pictures of Albert Eschenbaugh's get together from yesterday. And I will. But I do have to share yet another Judy story...
    We got up there bright and early ( we being Ronnie Olmstead, Bodi, and I) intending to volunteer to help with parking and such, but on arrival, Albert said "it's covered, just hang out and have fun"! And so we did. 'Bought 10:00, I walked back up to the far corner where we were parked and sat on the 'Buckets back rail, when a couple of guys walked up and started talking business. No big deal, I do it all the time. Anytime I'm out is a trade show in my book.

Then a couple walked up and asked about buying the 'Bucket, and I told them that I'm not ready to do that yet, but I'd be happy to build them their own... So the discussion starts. about ten minutes in, my phone rings, and due to the subject of conversation I allow it to go to voice mail. One minute later, it rings again... Crap, better answer it, excuse me. I hit send, and the only thing that come out of the phone is extremely high volume, vaguely Chinese sounding noises that could only otherwise be made by, say, a demon... And a very angry demon at that! The only words I understood were "HOME NOW"!!!
    So, naturally I put the phone back in my pocket, and thought, "I'll call back when she is calmed down a bit..." five minutes later, same thing, only I get the term "rack" out of the proceedings. I re, re, re-excuse myself and find out that the trouble is that she has found eveidence that a mouse has taken up residence in our closet... Now, apparently, "well, did you step on it?" isn't sufficient answer to a female that is standing on a counter screaming her lungs out! Who knew?

I explained my sudden disappearance to a couple of friends, who then Ratted me out to everybody in Phoenix's tight knit hot rod community... Needless to say, when I pulled in this morning to a space next to my buddy Don Marks, his first words to me were "Squeak, Squeak"...

And yes, she was still sitting on the kitchen counter when I got home 45 minutes later...

On with the show...

Attached Files:

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

more

Attached Files:

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Many more tomorrow... Dinner time at last!

21. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for the pics Chip. What the story with the itty bitty dragster? And what's under the hood of the '51 shoebox?

22. endlessearth

endlessearth

Awesome pics! Sure are some cool rides here in Phoenix.

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Chip;

No pics of Judy on the counter???? You do tell the best stories about things you get into... :D .

Marcus...

24. Dinner would be Fried mouse over rice?????

25. daddio211

daddio211

26. Hell Chip, I'm still hurting in my sides from the laughter from the Miss Judy and the Mouse story.... Thanks for that and the awesome pictures. Two cars that I really admire in that lot is the T Tudor and the '37 Ford Coupe. Did they start up the Liner ?

27. jerry

jerry

Liner sounded nice!

jerry

28. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Next time I go to a BBQ, I'll make sure Chip isn't providing the meat!!!

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, did some errands this morning, and in the midst went to a bunch of the local cash for scrap kinda places around downtown. If you haven't seen the other thread I have running, a good friend had the cowl and hood from his '1947 Kurtis Midget stolen from his back yard last week... Sucks.

But at one of the scrap joints, the scale was open, so I asked if I could back onto it and weight the Ugly... 1720lbs with out me, 1908 with me. Now I know what to tell H.A.M.B.er Markyack when it comes time to build a converter for this thing.