Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Tommy Ellis Rolling Bones Lakes Racer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROLLINGBONES 1A, Feb 2, 2014.

1. tedster

tedster

Very nice.

Go HAWKS!

2. 37jimmy

37jimmy
    from kentucky

The windshield treatment is bad ass. C'mon Ken & Keith let the cat out of the bag. What is it? Super craftsmanship as always guys

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd like to see pics of that body going together and all the pieces you started with.

4. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

If I know you it will be a whole lot FASTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Master of None

Master of None

Will this be making the trip to the salt this year? If it is I cant wait to see it in person when the circus comes rolling into town.

6. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Tommy Ellis who has built plenty of hot rods himself brought a 30 body to us and said " GIVE HER HELL BOYS " . So we tried our best to build a hot rod that looked like she belonged on the starting line at the dry lakes and salt. She's got a 34 cowl vent , 36 windshield surround and windshield , parts of the sides of the roof are 46 trunk roof , we used the A back window , 48 Merc door windows , made the drip edge and made up the rest . We changed or added to many of the reveals including the 32 stile lip on the tail. We re-contoured the frame to match the body and inlet it into the subrails for an inch channel not affecting the floor and then added a couple more inches to the bottom of the body . we added 7 inches to the doors, suicided them , flush fit them and built rockers . We built the nose , used 32 hood sides and a rootlieb 32/30 hood top. There's a long way to go yet with a rear roll pan , full belly pan and more . She will have a 425 hp Ted Eaton built Y - Block under the hood a five speed and v/8 Quick change. The list is long but that a good outline . BUILDING HOT RODS SURE IS A LOT OF FUN.
    Ken , Matt and Keith / Rolling Bones

Attached Files:

• 096.jpg
      096.jpg
      File size:
      485.9 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

8. Master of None

Master of None

Cool! can't wait......nice work as usual Mr. Bones.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking car! I don't have an SCTA Rule Book, so I'll ask the question that may get me kicked around a bit. Is a body like this with all of the modifications listed above legal to race, or is it being built to drive to Bonneville? Bob.............and were is the front spring?

10. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

I think it could only run for Time Only. The class that allows the most modifications, Competition Coupe, allows most of the modifications forward of the windshield. Roof chops being the exception of course!
    I love the overall look, the workmanship is incredible, just can't make up my mind on all the different reveals around the turret/door. But what do I know, all I did to my coupe was chop it!
    I love all Salt look cars, and this one certainly has the look!

11. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

awesome craftsmanship, coupled with the y/block guru ted eaton engine,cant help but be a winner.....only problem,aint mine,but if tommy needs a driver,i'm available....

12. I'm diggin it! Good to see you guys at ths GNRS BTW ....

13. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...splendid looking piece as usual for your work. I'd be curious to know whether you started with artist's sketches, concepts, etc or simply eye-balled everything, tried this and that with liberal servings of intuition and beer, during the build. To me as a longtime observer of hot rods, I think it's a breakthrough and may prompt a new definition for 'body' I.D. Man, I just can't stop looking at it.....

14. Most hot rods we think of as "Bonneville style" are illegal as all hell under modern SCTA rules. I like the body mods ken.

15. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Rules suck ! Just show up and run em ! IMO

16. Not if you would like a record.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Laser Dave

Laser Dave

Any more info on the other 3 window in the background of the first picture. Just starting a 34 sedan. Love all your work at the rolling bones shop.

18. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

Tommy's three window is like most of the hot rods we build ( but not all ) - a hot rod for the street that has the look and feel of one that would have raced right after the war and into the fifties . At least our interpretation of it anyway. T- man is correct in what he said . Tommy's hot rod would have to have at minimum a full cage , fire system etc and while it would not really fit in a class it could run time only with a speed limit based on what the inspectors felt was safe for the build.
    We love to race on the salt and will race El-Mirage before we are done at least once but we are not willing to give up the look to fit a class . Keith's 32 three window is a brick racing against rocket ships but believe me when I say he would rather have 200 mph as a reachable goals in a 32 Ford that still is a 32 Ford that runs a vintage engine ( y - block ) and ( he even took the ugly nose off and went back to a stock look for this year ) ..
    I guess you could say for us it's not how fast you go - it's how you go fast

19. The nose was kind of fugly

20. On kens I mean

21. Keiths. Stupid auto type on this phone!

22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

that's a hell of a car, ! I first saw a picture of it from garage night, which I could make it to, last min call into work. :( I wondered what the hell it was built out of. it looks sick as hell. what is it with you guys, every car, every single car you guys knock out of the ball park on the looks, the stance, the shape, EVERYTHING.
    Richie's 33 3 window is ignorant. all the deuce coupes, the deuce sedan. all are amazing pieces of metal art work. and the best thing about them all, you guys drive the hell out of them, as they were built for..
    you hear it enough, but im gonna tell you again
    GREAT JOB. wish I could have seen it in person. try again next year.
    maybe ill have to just drive up for a day and take a tour

23. hasty

hasty

24. ROLLINGBONES 1A

ROLLINGBONES 1A

We chopped Richie's 33 pretty hard and are finishing it in bare metal . It will have a Jim Fleming flathead , t-5 and v/8 quick change . We will tuck the tail , build a rear roll pan and full belly pan. He's gonna run her bare naked coated with gibbs for a while . AND before some one asks NO WE DID NOT BUILD THE REAR BARS they just came on the chassis .

Attached Files:

• 115.jpg
      115.jpg
      File size:
      494.6 KB
      Views:
    • 113.jpg
      113.jpg
      File size:
      492.7 KB
      Views:
  25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

that 33 is perfect... that car has just the right look.. thanks for the pics

26. i like this shot of it.

Attached Files:

27. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Nice ride that 33 is so f n cool...

28. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I love this one. Nice job!

29. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Nice...love the chops on both!