Register now to get rid of these ads!

Primer over Rustoleum. Is my truck ruined forever?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreenMonster48, Mar 26, 2011.

1. metal man

metal man

Well, at least he's using the search function :D

2. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Here was my truck when I bought it:

[​IMG]

Here is my truck now with a rattle can Rustoleum paint job on it:

[​IMG]

It looked like crap before but I figured "Before" was likely old rattle can primer and rust ANYWAY.

It's a 60 year old vehicle, do you really think you're NOT going to have to take it down to bare metal if you want a top notch paint job? Looks a hell of a lot better to me.:eek::eek:D:

3. Model T1

Model T1

Well I'll be a -----. So what I did back in the 60's was wrong? I've painted several cars with the original Rustolium red primer. One a 1926 Model T touring and another a 1950 Buick. There were more. But those were the first two.
    Now seein how this was in the mid 60's and I'm an old fart, I have no idea what paint I used over the Rustolium. I do know the Model T got NAPA black enamal. Coulda been fleet black. Same with the old Buick. Cheap black enamal.
    Where the Buick ended up I have no idea. Last I heard the Model T was in a small museum in north Florida or South Georgia still shining. I didn't put a top coat on either for at least a year.
    I do remember one small area on the Model T hood that wrinkled because I'd touched up a small area my kid scrapped. Just waited a few months then shot it again.
    Now those cars and others were not show quality but people seemed to think they looked okay. Hell put it on with a roller if you want. Lots of water sanding will make anything shine.
    As we speak, a friend and I are rattle can painting and working on a 1950 Studebaker Commander. It should turn out okay because we don't know any better.

4. NOPSI

NOPSI

I love it Model T1! It can be amazing what one can accomplish by not knowing any better. Sometimes, (notice I said sometimes) too much knowledge can stall your project. Painting on the cheap can turn out nice enough so you can go out and enjoy your ride.

5. NOPSI

NOPSI

Your almost as slow as me. :)

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I don't know any better either. Hell, I took my ignorance one step further and sprayed a topcoat of Rustoleum over my Rustoleum primer. It's been 2 years and I'm still waiting for this god-awful non-real-paint to flake, chalk and fall off. Damn stuff is stubborn. :p

[​IMG]

7. Model T1

Model T1

VoodooTwin I love that truck. You shoulda known better.
    But the truth of the matter a lot of farm equipment and heavy duty off road things are painted with Rustolium. They make some nice looking top coats now.

8. 48bill

48bill

Maybe today's rustoleum has changed since 1975.

I primed my 48 Chev with rustoleum in 1975 and then it was painted by MAACO with arcylic enamel. 38 years later the problem is New England rust and not the lifting of paint. ???????????

9. I used the "Professional" grade Rustoleum on my 50 Chevy, 7 years ago, and it still looks fine. It's not a perfect car, but looks cool and fun to drive.

10. I am repainting the red wheels on my '29 to satin black. They've been rustoleum regal red since the car was built in 2003. I'm just tired of the red so wanting a change. That stuff is tuff. It was somewhere around 5 years before any fade was noticable. I do like that about rustoleum. I've tried 2 different paint strippers and neither were effective in removing the red. Ended up just using a wire wheel to get to bare metal. Will sand them a bit now with 400 grit then repaint them with Krylon satin black. It dries fast. Not sure how durable it will be compared to the rustoleum. We'll see.

11. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Voodoo Twin, Is that Rusto Hunter Green?

12. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

He might even be down to wet sanding by now...

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Dan, it's 3 parts Hunter Green and 1 part black. Wanted to mute the green somewhat.

14. oH weLL heLL

oH weLL heLL
    from SOKAL

To OP, is there a specific custom color you're looking to paint or really don't want to topcoat with rustoleum.
    For about $8.-$9. a quart you could mix up some really cool colors, even some metallics.
    Sometimes people want the best but shit gets in the way and then give up on a project.
    Hell just get it close to what you want and enjoy it for a while man. Just my opinion. Later

15. I've been using rustoleum primer for many years. Just give it a long drying time (months). I use polyester primer over that and then the topcoat. Never had a problem in 15 years....

16. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Pretty simple answer. What's the HAMB normal response when someone posts "How do I..., When was..., Will it..."? It's "Do a search first, there are 10 billion threads on it". So now people.....
    Do a search
    Pull up an old thread
    Post on an old thread

17. Yeah, but nobody asked a question, just kinda dug it up. There could be an entire season's worth of The Walking Dead episodes devoted to old Hamb threads. That's neither here nor there I suppose.
    The important thing here is that Rustoleum is a sexy alternative

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I saw some sexy paint once. I think it was in swimsuit issue or somthing...

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Just add some hardener before squirting it, and it dries rock hard overnight. Same for the topcoat.