Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Blowen 6 cly. out there ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptop4, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

Do you mind looking at a "bent" six? Started with a turbo motor, but thought this looked more traditional.;)

Attached Files:

2. choptop4

choptop4

Hey Normbc9, I might have to come and see that car. Is that a TR7 ? That's the setup I was thinking about.

3. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

Here is my inline 250 with a hair dryer.

[​IMG]

4. Some very neat set ups for sure.
    Re the /6. first a 600 isnt that big. Tis about just right. I run a 600 on mine without a blower. No bog and cant hold it on the line under high throttle so low end as well as top end is very strong. Formula we use for 8 cylinders doesnt work well on 6s. Long story but trick is to divide cubic inches of your six by 6 to get the cubes of one cylinder then multilpy by 8. Then use the normal formula . Has to do with the TIME available to fill as well. (I know TR ,I am all wrong. So be it.)
    Anyway with your blown slant six. Sub the power valve for a power valve plug and up the jets 3 sizes and see of that funny problem goes away. Be careful because it really needs 4 sizes but three will tell you if your on track and be close enuf to work. Four will probably be too rich for cruising and normal (light throttle )driving .
    Problem is with a blower a vaccum or depression is created under the carb all the time. A Normally aspirated engine vacuum drops to "guage zero" under full throttle. When it happens in an unblown engine it allows the power valve to open (by spring pressure) and enriches the fuel mixture by approx 4 jets sizes thru the PVCR. But sitting on top of a blower the power valve may never open and so the engine will run lean. As mentioned you can reference the carb by suppling the power valve signal from somewhere else. Unfortunatley with a Holley and a rubber diaphram used to pull the power valve shut the boost may burst that diaphram and render the power valve useless if boost is high. A carter or Eddy can do this because it has a power piston which will not burst of course. Another good alternative is a Rochester carb many of which have a mechanical override in the power circuit which forces the needles up out of the jets regardless. Many are adjustable and probably could be made to raise them enuf. I havent tried that particular trick so I am postulating on that one but the blown corvairs used a carb with a totally mechanical power circuit. I have also seen those carbs used on Latham superchargers probably for the same reason. Anyway a Power valve plug along with a jetting correction should solve the problem. I did play with a magnusen on a Dodge Colt 1600 many years ago and used the power valve plug deal to make it work well.
    Don

5. nali

nali

I m building a OT Rambler Ambassador 1966 with a 258 Jeep engine and a Eaton M62 :)
    Converted to TBI and 3 Rochester B as throttle body on a modified and polished Jeep intake :)
    [​IMG]

6. choptop4

choptop4

Thanks for the info dolmetsch . Keep it coming in .

7. gtowagon

gtowagon

I have been thinking of mounting a weiand 142 on a pontiac OHC6

8. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Dolmetsch, yes, power valve can blow out by direct referencing to f.ex. manifold pressure by boost......quick fixed by an regulated one-way valve. opens by vacuum, closed by pressure.