Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin Number vs Title vs Out of state

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tonyimpala, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why don't you CALL or VISIT your Florida DMV? Then, there won't be any "smart ass answers". Or do a SEARCH and read about the HAMBer that got his car CONFISCATED. Maybe that will wake you up to the gravity of such an undertaking.

Honestly, in 2014, I'm surprised this is even being asked by an adult with a computer. A FORUM might NOT be the place to ask for LEGAL advise. Also, looking at the news, there are a LOT of "reputable gentleman" getting locked up.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. Thank you for the advice

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One important question for the original poster, which I believe has not been asked, since you have not actually seen the VIN, how do YOU know that it matches the paperwork, and that the car is not stolen?

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It was bought from a "reputable gentleman".:rolleyes:

5. DUH!!! The guy who sold it to him signed a letter stating that the numbers matched!!

You don't want to call him a LIAR, now, do you??

Cosmo

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

WOW.....It seems that this unusually nasty winter weather is taking it's toll on the HAMB as well as everybody else in the country. But in spite of that I'll dare to ask this question;

What would prevent someone in Kentucky from stamping a desired VIN number into any old piece of metal, making a rubbing of it and taking it to the DMV?

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Morales, ethics, the threat of penalty under the law. You know, the, very things that make civilization itself possible.

8. Because I can

Because I can

No to hi-jack, but is there any info on where vin's are located by make / model . . . looking at buying a '33 Plymouth that has a vin on the body, none on the frame?

Thanks

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Esai Morales?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sí. Es verdad.

11. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Im in Texas and I just did my title this afternoon. (1956 Merc)
    They let me fill out the VIN Inspection form right at the counter, all by myself. It was a Claifornia title and they didn't ask any questions. I just paid my fee, signed where they X'd and got out. The less you make it seem like a big deal, the less they seem to care. Its just a job to the ones that work at the DMV and they see 100's of people per day. I always go at the end of the day when all the employees want to do is go home.

12. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I should clarify this I suppose, the county sheriff first inspects the " out of state car" for proper numbers and paperwork. Then after the issue of the title, I make sure the etching is readable and submit it to the state DMV to get the tag and mount it in the door jamb so the NEXT guy does not have to go through what our OP is going through. Some VINS are hard to find in a completed car and some are engine numbers, etc.

13. I never understand these threads why people answer their state's deal. No two states are exactly the same, some are close, some are stupid easy, some are near impossible.

If Florida won't do it, for some reason, bring it to New York, you can get it legal there if it's '72 or older pretty easily.

14. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I agree with rustynewyorker.
    VIN numbers were first used in 1954 so a 1931 vehicle could have had any sort of number associated with the title depending on its history:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

Google is your friend:
    http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

The likely reason the builder made the VIN tag on the 31 Model A:
    "This (lengthy) page details engine serial number location, dates, and identification for Model A Ford and Model B Ford engines. The engine serial number was used as the defacto VIN number of the vehicle, as noted by Ford in the vehicle's Instruction Book."

Many states used motor serial numbers even in the 1940s so there is no guarantee the frame serial # will match a title depending on the year plus every state has different requirements today.
    Some states have changed the regs over the years as well.

15. designs that work

designs that work

Please follow the advise or laws from your state. In Calif. the stamping of numbers is a felony. A close friend did community service and fined for illegal numbers.

16. Depending on the state, the year, and the vehicle, an engine number, a frame number or a body serial number all could be used by a state as a "Vehicle Identification Number" - the carmakers did whatever they pleased, and so did each state, which is why some use titles and some don't. Eventually the feds got into the act and mandated a numbering system we call a VIN to be placed on every car, in the same location.

17. spooler41

spooler41

The biggest problem with Model A's, is that you need to lift the body to see the S/N.
    Model A Ford's have the S/N stamped on the frame just behind the driver side front
    body mount bolt. It's impossible to see with the body in place. The only other place the S/N appears is on the original engine, if it's still in the car and that can be along shot.
    I have tried to find the S/N on my '31 CC P/U. All I've been able to find is a few of
    the numbers and not the entire S/N. The numbers I have found seem to match the
    engine numbers, if I replace the engine, I loose the S/n and open a whole new can of worms. My real problem is that I did not get a title when I bought it.
    I sure hope this helps,because I still need to solve this problem my self.

..........................Jack

18. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Thanks for asking the question. I am out of Florida and have registered many old cars from out of state with a title, some of those cars have has unreadable VIN numbers or serial numbers, the agency printed some stickers and posted them inside the door. You can go to a state or privately own tag agency, they will just ask to see the vehicle. No big deal

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. mink

mink
    from CT

Good information

20. jmpowie

jmpowie

How does hot rod plates work in Fla? Can hot rod plates from a state transfer to Fla or do you have to start over with the DMV (getting a state vin, safety inspection)?

Sorry for the hijack

21. indyjps

indyjps

Locate as close as possible where the vin is, tape around the area and grind the paint off, after inspection put a light coat of paint over the vin (gloss black chassis with satin black vin paint), have your local pinstripe artist lay a nice line around it. Stay legal, support your local artist, make the area look like it belongs there.

22. I have done several here in Fl
    Yes they want to see the vin #
    in the A it is on the side of the block and should be on the frame behind the first body mount
    I hope you checked this before you bought it

23. In my opinion if your local DMV just rubber stamps your title and sends you on your way they are not doing their job ,what if it was your car that got stolen and ended up 3000 miles away and some other person got a clean title on it sort of defeats the purpose of a vin ,best advice is to do it the legal way whatever hoops you have to jump threw ,be it a title agent or your local DMV ,and it is a felony period to alter the vin or location on any vehicle, I know of a fellow that just swapped a cab off of a pickup from a local pick a part and it cost him 5000 in lawyer fees to get a get out of jail card all from a local traffic stop so if you don't think this serious business your living in your own world good luck with that

24. 29moonshine

29moonshine

when i bought my 33 plymouth from ala. all i needed was a bill of sale and a tag reg. took the car to the dmv they look at the # on the right door post . it matched the #on the reg and bill of sale. then i was issued a fla title.

25. I'm not a lawyer,I don't work for the DMV so you can be absolutely sure I don't have a answer but as bad as the title laws are here in South Carolina I would suggest you spend some time at the DMV for correct information.

Could the previous owner not supply you with a title? HRP

26. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Some states won't accept NY. bill of sale anymore.

Ago

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There IS a reference book, a really large one, that all registration offices have, or had, maybe now it is on a computer file. Don't remember the official name of it but it has detailed descriptions and photos of automobile ID numbers used for registration purposes nationwide. A really comprehesive book it even shows the number stampings on early and later Fords when they changed the style of several numbers.

28. I think that GG has made a good point here. A lot depends on who looks at the car. If you find the correct officer he may just take your word for it and others may be complete sticklers for the letter of the law.

It is a shame that the other guy didn't take a rubbing before applying the paint. But there is a solution if you are a patient man. You could take a dremmel and patiently remove the paint in a rectangle over the place where the frame number is. Then after inspection you could mask and carfully begin to apply coats of clear to build up to the paint. Tastefully placed pin stripe or two and you have a fully custom frame with the vin exposed. Hell you may even start a trend.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  29. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

Having lived in fla most of my life, one of the necessary forms, title application I believe, has a section for out of state vin verification. This could be signed by police, registered car dealer or even a notary public. In the old days when florida had state vehicle inspections, A friend had a car inspected, which had vin number attached with Phillips screws. It was a little loose, so the guy doing the inspection pulled out his screwdriver and tightened it. no questions asked. Car was not stolen, but put together out of several pieces. Just my 2 cents

30. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Best way to do it so far. You may sell it someday to someone who wants to see the numbers before he pays for it, so make it viewable for someone else.