Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, I bought my first old car today.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by arete, Feb 1, 2014.

1. arete

arete

So, I a couple of years ago I finished grad school in Australia and moved to New Haven, Connecticut. I scraped together the cash to buy my first ever old car today. If FNG stands for what I think it does, it's a fairly good description of my knowledge of old cars, so despite lurking for a long time and reading, I'm also getting ready to ask you all a lot of dumb questions. Hope that's ok...

The car is a '63 Mercury Comet, with a 292 y block and a 3 speed toploader. No idea what the rear end is, but I have the paperwork back to the original purchase order where it came with the options of "WSW tires, wheel covers and front seat belts."

If you see a couple of Australians in a red comet looking like they have no idea, that might be us - feel free to say hi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! Congratulations!

That Comet brings back so many memories from High School. Enjoy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. jesse1980

jesse1980

Nice car. Looks really clean.

4. ...Looks good...V-8 and a clutch pedal = a ton of fun...

5. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Good looking Comet. I don't suppose I have ever seen a Y-Block in a Comet before. Enjoy!

6. Very nice!!! Congratulations.

7. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Nice score , and welcome to the chaos of the hamb, your only FNG once ! Enjoy it !

8. First old car? School starts today!!!!

9. Looks like a very nice car. Have fun and maybe see you around mate! ENJOY!!!!

10. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Damn nice first car and welcome to the HAMB...

11. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Excellent introduction. And, great photos of a super car. You'll look SUPER cool cruising Whaley Ave. Have a grand time with this website. A TON of knowledge awaits. And, share what you wish. Oh, yeah, WELCOME!!

12. Muttley

Muttley

Welcome from a fellow Comet owner.

13. Man...that thing is the Shitz with that engine/trans. combo.

How does it run? gotta be quick.....Time for the Drags?

Congrats

14. Welcome from the coast of SC

15. arete

arete

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome - I've been looking at ads and lurking for a long time while I was scraping together enough cash to buy.

At least from the looking around I did, it seems pretty good. It was resprayed not too long ago, and there's a few spots where I think "Why on earth would you go to the effort of painting it, and not fix that first?"

Yeah, I have the receipt for the install in 2008, where the 6cl/2 speed merc o matic was swapped for the y block. Seems like a strange choice given that a small block would have been cheaper and more in line the 260 that might have come in it from the factory.

Guess I'll just drive it and see how I like the Y. Makes the car a little different too, I suppose.

Totally. There's already a growing list of things I need to do - figure out why the horn doesn't work, install a tach, put seatbelts in the back... :) I'm sure there's a lot of cut knuckles and swearing in my and this car's future!

We only really drove it around the lot, so I haven't really opened her up. America, this polar vortex thing ain't fun. I have a dyno sheet from when it was installed a couple of owners ago, looks like it made about 250hp/280 ft lbs back then, so I don't think it'll break any records, but it should we worth a giggle when I sidestep the clutch...

Which brings me to my first dumb question: Do you guys just assume that the valve seats we NOT hardened on an old engine and use an additive, or is it normal to run unleaded in a rebuilt engine?

16. Welcome. That's a very nice Comet. Enjoy the car and your HAMBtime.

17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

wow looks great-----and welcome from wi

18. 392modela

392modela

Hello from Wisconsin

posted with a box of crayons on the outhouse wall

19. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Assume the seats are not hardened , keep an eye on the valve lash if your running it hard and high rpms, if the valve starts to change you might have the starting to sink, once they start to go , it doesn't take long to get fugly ! Have fun and ask any questions , because there is a pile of info on here.

20. zjerry

zjerry

Welcome, Nice looking '63 Mercury Comet..

21. khead47

khead47

Welcome from Mi. That is for sure sumpin different!

22. Welcome to and from CT!

23. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking car. Welcome to the hamb from Maine.

24. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy. Love the car, love the y-block. I wouldn't worry about the hardened seats much. If you start flogging it that 6cyl rear end will be the first thing to cause you trouble.

25. Lars parud

Lars parud
    from sweden

Welcome from Sweden! Nice looking comet! I got a 63 Ranchero with 260 and 3 speed manual. Red like yours!

26. arete

arete

So another dumb question: I'm heading it to try and register my car in CT. Paperwork I have is:

1. Bill of sale from the guy in NJ I bought the car from.
    2. A 2006 MD title from another guy who signed it as sold in 2009 - no one filled in the buyer bit. I believe this is what is known as an "open" title.
    3. A bunch of MD registration slips from 1979 - 1986 in the name of the guy on the title.
    4. The original purchase order and bill of sale from the dealership in 1963.

The DMV website says I should have the bill of sale, and registration paperwork in the name of the guy on the bill of sale... which I don't got.

How would you guys play it?

27. Diego-T

Diego-T

Man what a sweet ride! congratulations! got me a 62 comet myself 2 months ago. it is not my first old car but already the most reliable. have fun with yours! cheers from switzerland

28. 50 Fastback

50 Fastback

Welcome from Chicago!

29. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Welcome from Virginia.