Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally made some progress on my A pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatheadz-forever, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Looks great congrats

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

thanks fellas im in the process of straighten some things out with the motor, trying to get a bigger fuel tank hooked up, and getting a different radiator fixed, and I am having some steering issues. I am trying my best to be patient and work all the bugs out now at once rather than a few little ones at a time... thanks for the encouragement fellas

3. im 17 and here is my ride! love yours tho!

[​IMG]

4. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

very nice best wishes with yours.... thank you for the kind words she is coming along more updates soon

5. thx! :) no problem! but why dont you consider keeping the banger? :)

6. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

SPEED! I like the banger but Id rather have a v8 im considering the banger but ehh I kinda want a v8 in there

7. you can gett speed out of a banger tho? :p i have a v8, but im keeping the banger :)

8. Lets be honest with ourselves about flat fours.....a stock honda is quicker than my built banger.

9. It's sad, but true!

Streetrods maybe driven by Chevy, but hotrods are powered by FORD!

10. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

haha Hitchhiker is right I am not trying to open up a can of worms but I am putting a flathead in because why pay to try and get 80 hp out of a banger when I can get around 150-170hp from a flathead which will be much quicker. now nothing against bangers but I prefer the sound of a built open header flatty over just about anything...and well my dad has a stock model A pickup so why have two with bangers, you know? I appreciate all comments and opinions hope this makes sense

11. i hear yah! and also its easy for you guys to get them on the road :) norway does not like hot rod's that much..

12. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Some opportunity has been presented to me and I have found a guy with a bunch of flathead motors and parts both ford and mercury for Cheap so I will probably pickup another motor or two in the next month or so hopefully, along with a 1934 ford front end. one of the flatheads the guy offered me says its a running engine so if I can find a trans and rear soon enough hopefully I will have a Av8 going by spring

13. Yeah,but stick a Ford Cosworth in a Model A and you can spank a lotta V8's. HRP

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iFSGSL3Nrmc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

that model a is sweet

15. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Blimey, all that get up and go on wooden wheels!

16. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

17. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Looking good!

18. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

thanks fellas I have off from tomorrow afternoon till Monday so hopefully I can work on it some more ! if anyone has a nice 30-31 gas tank please let me know...and hopefully I can get to check out those flatheads I was talking about

19. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

flatheadz, you are reliving my Model A build in 1956. Go traditional you wont get another chance to know what real hot rodding is all about. I started with a stock A and had to scrounge old parts just like you. There's very few doing it like you are, enjoy your banger while you build a nice flatty the right way. Nothin wrong with a ford driveline as long as you don,t ''popp'a da'clutch and bang'a da'gears'.. And if you want more out of the banger, you can mount a 2 barrel flatty carb on top of the stock manifold, and mill the head a bit. P.S. I liked the A gas tank, you dont need a fuel pump, and when filling up at the gas station its cool to see the gas bubbling up at the sight glass.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  20. [​IMG]
    ...this truck you showed in post #11 belongs to a fellow Tin Butchers club member in northern Illinois. It's actually a 34 cab, hood, grille on a 28-9 chassis/fenders. It's runnin a Pinto 4 banger hooked to old Ford trans/rear, it runs down the road really well.

21. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

I knew that is was a bunch of different year parts but I liked the look of it and the uncut sheetmetal with the steelies

22. miller 38

miller 38
    from illinois

Its nice to see someone else close to my age keep one un-cut, my buddys all like ratrods or newer stuff. I have a 29 that i drove through highschool stock thats been slowly getting restored and "hopped up" for the last couple years, similar to yours. Itll be back on the road this spring. Keep workin and looks great.

23. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

hey flathead experts I need some help I have a 8rt flathead out of a panel truck and may buy a 8cm merc how can I mount a 32-39 topshift trans to the 8ba

24. Carter

Carter

The 8BA/8CM/8RT(49 and later) engines don't have the flywheel housing cast as part of the engine block like 1948 and earlier. The 32-9 transmissions will bolt right up to the separate flywheel housings of the post 48 engines. Most important is to make sure the starter matches starter plate and housing as there are several varieties.

25. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

26. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

[/ATTACH]

Finally put the hood on, headlights and bar, and fenders looks pretty good. All I need now is splash aprons, running boards, and rear fenders.

Attached Files:

• t1.jpg
      t1.jpg
      File size:
      456 KB
      Views:
  27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Lookin good man

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor