Register now to get rid of these ads!

floor seal questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragonknucks, Feb 1, 2014.

1. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Hi everyone. I just put a new floor in the front half of my 42 plymouth. I want to coat the floor and seal the seams. Should I primer the floor first? Maybe POR15 over the entire floor? Do I seam seal after primer or POR15? Can i get this stuff at a local parts store or some place like lowes? I've never done this before so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rocky

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would some rust oleum primer then use seam sealer the por 15 is for painting over rust not clean new metal.

3. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Right, but the back half is surface rusted. It's not rusted thru though.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

POR would be good on the rust just not on clean new metal.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I do POR-15 on my floor and trunk repairs. It will stick to new metal if you metal prep it and I also use it on clean blasted old metal. Since it is tough to get anything to stick to POR, do your seam sealing first. Or put it on when the POR is tacky, but not completely dry. Always use 2 coats of POR, too, for best sealing, usually have to do them hours apart, if not the next day.

7. I use epoxy first then seam sealer, then top coat on bare metal. I don't paint over rust, I remove it, so I don't use por 15.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You can paint over the Permatex with no issues,a similar Product I used is OSPHO and is about $9 at ACE Hardware.

9. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Ditto
    Rust O'leum is also about $50 cheaper than POR 15. You can buy a can at wal mart for around $8 I believe. Compared to the $60 a quart POR 15.

10. raymay

raymay

Rustoleum and seam seal has been my choice for years. In a few cases where there was some rust I could not completely clean I have used POR-15. My finish coat is still with the reasonably priced Rustoleum. They make a rusty metal primer and the red oxide coatings that I prefer.
    Recently saw a floor (not the one in my picture) on a car I built many years ago and the Rustoleum coating still looked good.

Attached Files:

11. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

Thanks everyone for the input. I've got a lot to consider.