Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Visor at high speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jan 31, 2014.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got a Model A visor semi-mounted on my heap, looks great but out on the freeway yesterday it almost came off, catches a lot of air. My question is how livable are they at 70 per? I wasn't planning to cut holes in it yet but I bet it helps.

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

blowby, you gotta remember that top speed for a Model A was about 50 mph, downhill. As you know your visor is attached by two screws on each side and wood nails along the top. What is the condition of your header wood. You might want to replace it if its rotted or use longer nails. That visor is like a parachute.

3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Woodiewagon is right.

If you're visor is flopping around...at any speed...you might have other problems to worry about besides cutting holes.

Check the header for integrity. Also pay attention to whether the top covering (if it's still a material top) is ballooning in the wind.
    The windshield frame is also held to the header with wood screws.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's on a steel roof on my Bantam, if I keep it I'll weld in on so ultimate attachment isn't a concern. But if it's going to act like a parachute, make a bunch of noise, kill gas mileage or be some other nuisance at high speed I may leave it off. But I'll try the holes first, 'cause it does look good. :)

Thanks for the replies.

5. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

37,000 plus miles on our visor equipped A, never any problems, lots of 70 MPH driving. Used sheet metal screws into header instead of nails.

6. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

My '30 A was steady as a rock even at 80+. I had welded the inner valance panel to it instead of the wood header in there.

I used the taller sedan valance header panel that is 1/2 taller, then folded a lip on the upper leading edge then plug welded it in.

7. Drilling holes in it only weakens it and exaserbates the problem. My buddies on his '28 has cracked between a couple of the holes. Besides it's to block the sun and holes pretty much nullify that. I intalled one of these on my '29's dash to I easily see stop lights with crinking my neck;) About 25 bucks from ebay. There are cheap plastic suction cup ones that are a waste of money.

Attached Files:

8. Bader 2

Bader 2

Yep,screws and pl premium,help it stay on but for semis,get on the shoulder!

9. madmak95

madmak95

Pictures of Bantam required!

10. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

They do make a lot of noise in the 70 mile plus range,but I wouldn't be without it.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's the smaller one. :)

Attached Files:

12. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Compared to the other truck, ITS SMALL

13. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Second look that's cool little truck but it would take 10# of grease and a shoe horn to get me in there:eek:

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Based on what I've got on my truck - and once you figure a way to fully install / brace it - forget about the holes and vent it in the back where it joins the roof with long slots so the trapped air can escape. It will be a lot less noisy, too.

Or, unless you want to run wipers in the header, I'd simply fill the bottom flat with sheet metal and seal the whole thing up. It will still work fine as a visor, won't trap any air, and no one can tell. Gary

15. All wlded in stock visor, never has moved and i have had the car to 148 mph.

16. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Wow!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Sweet ride!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I did 120 at the H.A.M.B. Drags with no problems in my Sedan. But to be honest with you, the engine makes so much noise I couldn't tell you if the visor makes any and I haven't checked to see what kind of mileage I am getting! LOL!

[​IMG]

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I put louvre's in my 29 visor and it made no difference to the wind flap at high speed.
    I've been up over the 100mph on the strip and it sits pretty well and is not a worry.
    T model visors must move a bit???
    If you are that worried install a center support bracket.
    I've made a center bracket for my Model T pickup project, untried as yet.

No visor looks wrong IMHO.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610054

Attached Files:

20. captmullette

captmullette

good idea, l was told mine was flapping going down the strip, but I was a little busy at the time, now ive added holes so we'll see.......

21. captmullette

captmullette

just drilled mine we will see soon.....

Attached Files:

22. CRguy

CRguy
    from SW WA

I'm considering putting holes in the visor on my 29, and have read the old threads concerning them. One question remains for me: My car has a (new) stock fabric over chicken wire top and it ripples and crackles against the chicken wire (no headliner) when on the freeway. I've been concerned the wind could work its' way under the front edge of the top and pull it off since the stock tops weren't designed for high speed.
    If I put holes in the visor, would they disrupt the air flow over the top and cause it to not crackle in the wind? I like the look of the holes, but would also like to not have to be concerned about the top ripping off in the wind.
    Ideas?

23. The model A has the aerodynamics of a barn and the visor is nothing more than a way to catch air.

The original 4 screws and nails across the top will do the job as long as the header is solid and doesn't have any rot,,if the header is solid and you are concerned about the visor being ripped off at speed you can always opt for longer nails or even screws in place of nails. HRP

24. captmullette

captmullette

mine was moving at the end of the 1/4, drilled holes, no problem.......

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Henry noted the problem at 45+ MPH, Edsel fixed it with 'Enter the new '32!'

Seriously...when I built my channeled '30 A coupe, I built a new wood header for it from a 3" X 4" piece of (then) old wood. (ash, I think...)
    1959, my friend's Dad had a wood shop in his basement...I tried the big piece, then marked every angle that interfered and cut the lines on Sweeny's bandsaw.
    When I had a good fit, Sweeny's Dad helped me with the fit of the naugahyde top material.
    Mr. Sweeny used small wood screws all the way across, said that visor was like an air scoop.
    That Coupe never saw any 148 MPH, but when it got fitted with a 327 in '63 got clocked at 100 and change... nothing came loose... LOL

26. CRguy

CRguy
    from SW WA

It's not the visor coming off that concerns me - it's the top material. Putting holes in the visor will change the airflow over the top and hopefully stop the top material from crackling?
    There is a new ash header, and a total of 9 screws that hold the visor on, so I don't have any concerns about it.

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

28/29s are screwed from the bottom.. 30/31s are nailed across the top.. Roll all your windows up and close your windshield and take for a ride to determine where the air is coming in.. You may have to run some calking underneath the top bead or any place else air is entering...

28. CRguy

CRguy
    from SW WA

It's not air coming inside the car causing the top to ripple & crackle - it's the airflow over the top. Kind of like airflow over an airplane wing that causes lift, I suspect.

29. One question are you referring to the top material rising up while you are driving at speed,,kinda like it bulging? HRP

30. CRguy

CRguy
    from SW WA

Yes, the actual top material itself kind of ripples and crackles against the chicken wire. It only does this in the area of the first wood crossbow. There are no wrinkles or loose areas in the top material when the car is sitting still - you have to get up to 55 or 60 for it to happen.
    I have always thought it was the way the air flows over the top causing this. that's why I figured putting holes in the visor would change the airflow enough to stop the rippling because of the air coming up thru the visor holes.