Register now to get rid of these ads!

Convert mechanical speedo to electronic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by von Dyck, Jan 31, 2014.

1. von Dyck

von Dyck

I've got a nice Smiths speedo that I want to convert to electronic innards. This roadster will be running a M50D trans, and it has no provision for a gear drive to run a mechanical speedo. Has anyone pulled the guts out of a mechanical speedo and replaced the innards (with some modifications, of course) with the electronics out of a late model Ford Ranger (for instance)? Does the sensor on the tail shaft wire directly to the speedo, or does it have to go through the ECU before going to the speedo? Are there other options? I really don't want to go the GPS route.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. von Dyck

von Dyck

Thanks Gimpy. Lots of good info here.

4. http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm
    You could use one of these with a mechanical speedometer if the trans has a electronic speedo sender.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 48cad

48cad

Bingo !! I use them frequently. I like to keep the original gauge look, but want the modern OD trannys. Great product and support.

6. von Dyck

von Dyck

$365 for the Abbott Cable X conversion. $300 for a GPS speedometer from Speedhut, in a design of your choice that would come very close to the original design of the 4" Smiths speedo. The Speedhut also (with the push of a button) will give you an odometer reading, altitude, 0 to 60 et, 1/4 mile et.
    I know this stuff is not the traditional way to go, but as we are rapidly depleting our supply of older trannies with gear driven speedometer cables and installing late model electronic driven speedos and trannies, we need to accept the fact that this is what we are left with.

7. Plus 1 on the Speedhut products top notch quality just got done with a full set on my 60 F-100 and made in the USA too.

8. TinShed

TinShed

Bump did anybody try the Dakota digital box yet?

9. Or they make a drive/converter to run a mechanical speedo with a transmission without the mechanical provision.

I have mentioned this before and for whatever reason it does not seem like a viable solution but some GM products have run the speedometer off the front wheel, Olds Omega comes to mind right off the top of my head. it is something for you guys that have to have a late model transmission to think about.

10. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

On the tri-five forum a guy converted a 57 speedo to electronic by using a s-10 speedo and putting the 57 face on it. You should be able to search it on there.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early VW stuff ran the speedometer cable through a drilled out spindle, to the dust cap.