Register now to get rid of these ads!

finally picked up a 39 today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bbr, Jun 30, 2012.

1. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i have always had a thing for 39 deluxe and 40 std fords. today i picked up a 39 :) it has the factory drivetrain in it still. motor turns over by hand. the car was parked in 1954 due to ring and pinion noise. the guy i purchased it off of had bought it out of the barn it was in back in 2005.this was its home from then til now. i have 4 other cars that i will be selling now that i got my hands on this.

Attached Files:

2. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Nice ,

You'll have a blast with that..

Good luck with it,
    I love the front ends on those cars .

Will look great after you do your thing to it..

Good Luck again....

3. I would have scored the '36 Chevy coupe in the background...

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Great score ! It's always very special when you finally find and get to buy the one car you have always wanted all your life ! :D
    So what are your plans with the 39 ?

Retro Jim

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

`awesome score , post some build photos , i wanna watch it come back to the road

6. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Excellent find. I just put my 39 back on the road after two years of laziness. A very practical rod for much comfort with a TON of space all around. Keep us updated with words and photos. Oh, yeah, PLEASE, keep the flathead!!

7. Thats awsome. I once looked at a '39 back in '64 that had a 389 tripower poncho in it. . Can't tell you how bad I wanted it but I already had a 41 coupe I was driving.
    Lotsa luck man.

8. cheveey57

cheveey57

Looks pretty solid from, congrats......

9. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

it is pretty solid. door hinge area on the driver side, a little on the outer skin of the passenger door. foot square floor pan to fix and tool tray area in the trunk and that is it for rust. the flatty is going to stay so is the 3 speed. i think since i went M2 front and leaf springs with my 46 i am going to do a drop axle and disc brakes on this one. rear end is up in air at this point unless anyone has any ideas to bounce off of me. i am kind of an open book.

as far as other cars at this place. this guy and his sons have all kinds of cars.

10. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

some more pics after i got it home and the dust rinsed off. i have the front and rear seats too. they were taken out to minimize rodent damage. the gas tank is not even rotted out of this one still real solid. might just have it cleaned out and coat it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jazzbum

jazzbum

looks pretty good, good score! leave a rake on it, sedans look killer with a little tail height.

12. rld14

rld14

Nice score, I love 39s.

Think that ya just may need to change that windshield tho :D

13. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

OK guys need some front end tech help. I know I am doing a forged drop axle. I just need your help on how wide from pin to pin I need to order as I don't want the tires to hit fenders. Was thinking 4in drop up front and 2.5 in back. What all will I need to do this right and I will be doing a front disc conversion. I will be swapping in a 8in rear out of a 64 fairlane.

14. metalman

metalman

Why not have your original axle dropped? I had Sid do mine in my 40, real happy with it. Personally I'd rather have a real Ford then a who know where it's really from repop and it's cheaper the a new one anyway. A 4" drop axle & a reversed eye the main leaf and they set about right.

15. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Looks good. Now comes the journey.

16. If it is straight - what he said .... ;)

Nice Score !

Those are hard to find ..... :cool:

I like this pic .... :)

[​IMG]

Jim

17. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Very cool car nice find I've always liked 39 Ford's 2 door sedans my self
    So how about a build tread for all of us that dont have one to build

18. EarlyBroncoMan

EarlyBroncoMan
    from Pittsburgh

Awesome car. Street rod that thing though. Had a dropped axle in my '40 for a little while, eventually switch to independent front and it made a world of difference on handling. The straight axle was alright, but driving 4-5 hours to a car show is so much nicer with the Mustang II. Just my thoughts...

19. George/Maine

George/Maine

Car looks good nice body. I had 4.44 gears and was no fun the drive 60mph.
    I went with M2 IFS and 8ba engine with C4 auto trans with parallel spring Granada.
    2.78 gears and run 2k rpm at 55mph.Great car to drive.
    [​IMG]

20. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i did my 46 ford coupe with M2 and 8.8 rear with CE parallel leaf conversion. thought i would keep the 39 straight axle up front. i have a 8" out of a 64 fairlane with 3.00 ratio that i planned on putting in place of the factory rear. so if i have the factory axle dropped it should narrow it also and help with the tire to fender clearance, correct?

21. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i do have the factory wide 5 drums and artillery wheels that came on this too.

22. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

Who is Sid and can you explain the reverse eye to me as I am mainly schooled for late model automotive but I want this car to be more old school hot rod.

23. metalman

metalman

Do a search in the Hamb-o-dex section for dropped axles, you'll find his info. He's in Ok.
    A reversed spring has the spring eyes (where the shackles go on) reversed to turn up instead of down. Will lower the car by an inch or so by it's self. Any decent spring shop should be able to do it for you.
    FWIW here's a pic of my 40 to give an idea of how the 4" drop, reversed spring will set her.
    temp_149.JPG

24. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i like that. it sits nice for driving, besides thats what cars are made for right?:D

25. cs39ford

cs39ford

Nice car They are coming harder and harder to find As you can tell I like 39 deluxe 2 drs Some pics of my deluxe 2 dr

Attached Files:

26. fatkoop

fatkoop

You really don't need a MII to make this car a nice driver. Dropped FORD axles are as good as it gets. Don't over think it! It takes very little to make one of these cars road worthy. I've put many, many thousands of miles over 12 years of driving my '40 with stock steering, stock brakes, stock torquetube and rear, and a mild 283. It will go anywhere (and has) with ease and its comfortable to drive. Even my wife says so, and she doesn't like anything.

27. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I agree. These and 40-42 Willys really nailed it.

Sweet project.

28. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

i may just send my stocker to Nostalgia Sid's (http://www.droppedaxles.com/ for those looking for the link) and have it dropped. my main leaf is broken so i will just have one made up reverse eye'd...my dad's buddys are all about subframes and M2 and i wanted to try and get away from that with this car.i want it to be kind of an image of the "good ol' days" long before subframing was thought of...lol

29. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

I do have another question. How would a guy go about converting the 39 trans to open drive? Will I have to run dropped steering arms with the 4in dropped axle?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  30. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

Can anyone answer for me?