Register now to get rid of these ads!

cast iron GREAT exhaust manifold coating, what did you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by happy hoppy, Jan 31, 2014.

1. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I need to coat, treat, plate a pair of ramshorn exhaust manifolds. its for a driver, but they must stay very nice. not OK, but VERY NICE. customer is picky and wants something that will not peel or discolor and last.

recommendations?

David

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cleaned a set of rams horns well, then used the POR cast grey manifold paint and put in aBBQ fpr 30 minutes--they still look great after 4 yrs-pics in my album on 57 FI BelAir

Also used Eastwoods on ramshorns--worked well and Cap's in Fresno does great work as well.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  4. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I used Eastwood manifold paint

Also baked in the oven

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. stimpy

stimpy

we used to use the old antiseize method , its around here somewhere try the search feature .

6. Google "Colloidal Black Stove Dressing."

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

David, Like your situation I wanted the exhaust manifolds for my Nailhead to look "Very Nice" as they mount straight out and prominent on the sides of the motor and not tucked under the head like most V8s. I decided that the best finish to use was to porcelainize them. In the days of old all the high dollar automobiles such as Auburns, Duesenbergs, Cadillacs, and Packards had porcelainized exhaust manifolds. I ground and smoothed them, removed all the flashing to my satisfaction in preparation to the treatment. I then contacted "CAPS COATINGS" in Fresno, Ca. Spoke to the owner, Don Weber. We discussed what I wanted to achieve and he gave me a quote and a turn around time. I went for a smooth glossy black but apparently they can do any color. They had them finished in 2 weeks as estimated and at the quoted cost. I'm very pleased with the result and recommend them without reservation.
    They cost the process by the LB. and mine was $550. Don said Chevy ram horns run about $400/Pr.
    They also do"Bright Hot Coating" and "CERMAKROME".
    They have a really nice and helpful staff as well. Here's the #559 223 1461 <www.capsbhc.com>
    I'll try to attach a photo of my manifolds.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hot melt aluminized spray. not that fancy JetHott marketing stuff, just aluminum spray over a blasted surface. should be relatively cheap.

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Here's a recent thread on the same subject. Pretty good input.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=854798

10. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

thank you everyone. I am going to pass this info along and let the owner decide. I love the porcelain idea, thanks telekenfun.

I will also look at the thread Hotrodmyk recommended.

thanks again!

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

all you guys that posted replies need to include pics

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Mercchev

Mercchev

Caps coatings x2 he did my manifolds quite a few years ago, still look great.

13. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I have used the Eastwood SS manifold coating on my current project but have not run the engine up. I used the old style Eastwood "Brush On SS Paint" before and it last for over 5 years, then I had those manifolds Blasted and Jet Hot coated that lasted for nearly 8 years with little changes to the coatings. Sorry I have problems with photos PM geoford41 and I can e-mail you my pictures

14. trout

trout
    from Indiana

Has anyone ever tried high quality caliper paint on a cast iron exhaust manifold? Good range of colors and easily available. Seems like it might hold up well in a low-performance stock application.

15. my dad had some hooker headers done this way in the 80's and they still look good. thay almost look like fresh cast alum.
    sorry no pics.

16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I sent my speedway rams horns to performance coatings. They have a cast iron grey high heat color. I will try to get a few pictures this afternoon when I get out to the shop.

17. 59 brook

59 brook

my sanderson cast iron headers came with jet hot coating 15 yrs ago didnt match the brand new ones i just got for $600 but they didn't look horrible

18. banginona40

banginona40

X2 on the Eastwood brush on coating.

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

These are mine from performance coatings.

Attached Files:

20. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Another vote for the Eastwood brush on coating.

21. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I did the entire exhaust system on my car 23 years ago with the Eastwood brush on stainless coating. It looked perfect for the first 10 years, now the manifolds have a few spots that are starting to rust, but the rest of the exhaust pipes look like new.

22. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Both Eastwood or Por15 worked great for me, it's the prep that makes the difference !