Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects need help with a paint color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by my47buicksuper, Jan 31, 2014.

1. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I hope this is in the right place if not I'm shure someone will let me know ,
    Anyways I'm almost at the point I need to order a paint color for my 47 Buick super two door fastback car, its org color was the light blue color ,I think I'd like to stay light blue on it but do something a little nicer looking I prefer a regular paint but might do metallic if you guys have and color inputs that would be great , hopefully i can also get the paint codes with the pics I found a few I like on google but can't get the paint codes thanks in advance

2. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

3. rdomeck

rdomeck

This a very tricky subject.... My Dad has been a painter all of his life. More than 40 years spraying cars. The number one rule is you never pick out a color for someone...

My business does custom fabrication and paint work. We always hand the customer a book of color chips and offer to spray out test samples in larger form for them to see before we mix up a gallon of $400-$1400 base! Find a local automotive paint supply house and ask to see the books. I would steer you towards a pearl. Most of the colors you see today are pearl and not metallic. Imagine the shape of each particle. A flake (metallic) could be any shape or size. A pearl on the other hand is controllable and able to be match easily if/when something happens.

I would be glad to look up a paint code for you in our computer if you see something on the road that you like.

Good luck in your quest!

4. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Thanks rdomeck I know its hard to offer color advice , I was trying to stay basic on the paint because I'm a novice painter and was wanting to give it a try my self I can't afford to pay anyone that and I got 3 cars that need paint so figured I got three true to make a good paint job, any advice on what type of paint product ?

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think darker colors like your avator are going to look best.

6. indyjps

indyjps

Stick with one product if you're doing 3 cars, then you can use the extra primer, solvents throughout the job. Take a look at tcglobal.com restoration line, multiple products and stock colors to choose from. I've heard people having good results with napa's paint line but I haven't used it in over 20 years, so I can't say. Shooting it yourself, the single stage non metallic will give you the best ability to fix any runs, bugs, etc.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Heres a light blue 48 vert that isnt too bad as I like the style of this one but I still wouldnt be a fan of light blue on this car.
    [​IMG]

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Something more like the color of this concept holden would get me reved up.
    Or maybe a darker blue if you like blue, like on the new chevy cruze.
    [​IMG]

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure how easy colors like this would be but they look like they would be worth doing to me but then again thats just me, Its yours, do as you please.
    [​IMG]

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

What you need to do, is go to a REAL autobody supply shop.
    If they sell Dupont paints, they have a book of Spectramaster colors. It is a huge book with color chips of all different versions of all the solid (not metallic or pearl) colors.
    Look for the light blue that seems to be in your head.
    Or, bring along something that is the color you want, and match it up to the colors in that book.
    But be prepared, you'll be surprised how many variations of light blue you'll see.. variations in light to dark, color saturation, version leaning toward green, or purple, or gray. Only YOU can pick the color you are seeing in your mind!

11. When you are looking at the paint books, take them outside. Do it twice so you can see your color in sunshine vs cloudy day. I've seen people screw up really bad by choosing their color under florescent light then wonder why it doesn't look right outside on a sunny day! (the conditions you want you car to look its best in)
    As I drive up and down the highways I constantly watch for good colors on modern cars and I can't think of one light blue that has caught my eye, but I'm not a big fan of pastel colors on cars. A little sparkle can wake up a pastel, but it adds steps to the job.

Attached Files:

12. I like light blue. Nothing kinkier than a kick-ass rod painted the "wrong" color.

13. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

what he said

14. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Thanks guys all the input is great the blue conv up top is very simular to the org witch is what I was thinking but now that I see it on the car I'm not likeing it I might just paint it the green like my old Buick was (the avatar) this is why I see them before paint I hate this part

15. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Well I think I'm going with the green color like my avatar
    We know it looks good in that color and the light blue really takes away from the chrome
    (this car has a lot of it )
    Thanks guys you talked me out of a big oops

16. Try early Caddy (1955- 56) Arlington Green. My two cents.

17. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

That's about the color very nice ill have to see the paint chip in person but I like it
    Thanks

18. Roadsir

Roadsir

If you want to go with a new mix check out the 2013 Fiat Blue/Green, or Verde (Green) or for a more lighter blue check out the 2013 VW Beetle light blue.

19. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Thanks for the input guys the color choice is still up in the air I looked back at my color sheet a realized the org color wasn't as light as I thought so it looks pritty good with the chrome I found a Buick in the factory color ill attach the link for you guys to see it , I think I want to stay right by the car (as of now its 100% org ) and do a factory color I'm between the Brunswick green or seine blue , the royal maroon is nice too

20. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

21. old round fart

old round fart
    from Norman Ok.

A friend told me to go to dealerships and car lots until you fing a color you like and get the paint code off the firewall or door jam.

22. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Guys its narrowed down between the green ( avatar pic ) or the blue ( link is at bottom of page one to the color I think the blue car could use a buff t looks dull so keep that in mind when looking, the car was org the blue and I'm told there wasn't that many made in that color so hard to find car + hard to find color, and don't forget the cars mostly org and numbers matching
    The only changes to it is I'm conv to 12v getting the am/tm that fits in dash (no cutting ) and the front seat is out of a 50 Buick (no real change but wanted to mention) everything else is org to the car that's why I'm thinking about the blue. So let's see how many say blue and how many say green ,
    And thanks so far for all the input

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I cant really tell what color it is by looking at the pic,It could be blue,
    It could be green, or it could be blue/green:D but at least It is a darker color.;)
    [​IMG]

24. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Yeah its a blue and its gray at night slightly ill stick a link in for my old green car and everyone can put there two cents in

25. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Your old car sure does look slick but hey,youve already done that,I would probably go with a blue this time especially since you were already leaning towards a blue anyway.

Im genrally not a big fan of blue unless its some kind of candy lookin,metalic or electric color of blue.
    It also depends on what car, a color is on, I love this blue on this car,(partially because I love this car anyway) but this color might, or might not look so good on your car where as a diffrent color blue might look great on yours but not so much on this one.

Attached Files:

27. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I know what you are talking about I guess ill go to the paint store and see if I can't compare the two together out side in the light maybe that will be the decision maker or if one is a hole lot more then the other I did a charger once and was between huger orange and plum purple and the purple wad almost 5x the price of the orange so that made my mind up so maybe that will happen agen , I really like the two tone on these cars but since I'm a beginner painter figured ILL not try , and low budget I really do thank you for tour help looks like its mostly me and you talking on here