Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I shorten F1 Pedals???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspwr, Jan 31, 2014.

1. oldspwr

oldspwr

I have 2 sets of F1 pedals that I am trying to use in my 26 Model T project... I channeled the body 4 1/2" over a Model A frame.

So last night I made a quick bracket so I could C clamp the pedals in place...

[​IMG]

Now that I have my steering column in place, the pedals are way too high.... (somebody hacked the ends off, but you get the idea...)

[​IMG]

So it looks like I need to shorten the pedal by 3" or so (I really can't lower them...)

[​IMG]

So I know I will affect the geometry of the braking, but has anyone else done this successfully? Ideas or pics would be appreciated...

2. oldspwr

oldspwr

Bump for the evening crowd!

3. metal man

metal man

Just be sure to maintain about a 6:1 pedal ratio, or you'll have to push way harder on the pedal than you want to. I modify old Ford pedals all the time. They are wonderfully weldable, just like all the old Ford forgings. Go for it.

4. metal man

metal man

Oddly enough, I used the exact same pedal assembly you're using in my current Model A build. I not only shortened them for the same reason you are, but I used the top half from some other (non-Ford) old car. I don't even remember what I took them out of, but I really liked the steel , dimpled , rectangular pads on them.

5. oldspwr

oldspwr

Thanks... Any pics?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been done but maybe make a dummy pedal first after check the ratio 12..2 or the same 6..1 . You don't want a hard pedal with no brakes.

7. metal man

metal man

O.K. here are a couple of pictures of the brake pedal. I fibbed a little bit...I forgot,although I did use the same F1 assembly you have, I used the lower portion of aftermarket pedals on this car, because they were here and the shape fit the car better.

You can see the arched top part with the pad on it from the unknown car, is welded to the aftermarket pedal. The other pic shows it compared to stock pedals like you have. My pedal is 2 1/4'' shorter than the stock one, and the ''lever'' portion on the bottom is adjusted to keep it close to a 6:1 ratio.

I can't show you a pic of it in the car...the body is at the upholstery shop till next month.

Attached Files:

8. I too am using the same pedals in my Model A Roadster and i find that they are ludicrously tall. I am thinking since over here we cannot cut and weld pedals that i will probably just remake my mount another 2" lower. I find that if i had the top of the pedal pad, where the bottom is (which would be roughly a 2" or so drop) then it'd be a hell of a lot better.

I was thinking of heating and bending where the pedal curves down, and then heating behind the pad to bend it back up to being "square" but then that will change the pedal ratio a fair bit, as I later found out.

So.. at this stage i'll probably just lower them down. Or maybe make a new pedal mount but use the F1 pedals. I'm not sure yet.

Edit: Remaking a mount is on the basis i can figure out how the fuck they actually come apart..