Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember George Dorr's Taildragger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot 'n Kustom, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

In the early eighties, Ohio customizer George Dore built a really nice 1948 Chevy coupe. It was Titian red, chopped, had '55 DeSoto grille, '49 Plymouth bumpers, and a taildragger attitude. I remember seeing it at early Lead East and Sledscene East shows.

In this guise, it was featured in Peterson's "Custom Cars" V1 No 5 in 1983, where the black and white pics below originated.

Just before his death, George restyled the car with fadeaway front fenders which dropped down the bottom of the rears,where a large vent opened up.
    I don't have any pics of the car in this version. Also Titian red, if I recall.

I spotted this car at the Jalopy Showdown and only got this one shot. I couldn't get a side shot where it was parked and never caught up with the owner.

Anyone know if this is the same car? Or who owns it?

2. Here's a pic from Larry Krammer's show in Springfield , Ohio in about 1986.-MIKE:D

[​IMG]

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I always assumed George bought himself a fastback and then chopped it more than the coupe and sectioned it too.

4. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

And I always assumed it was the same car. Anyone know for sure?

5. akustom57

akustom57

2 Different cars, he sold the first one to build the second and it went to Cleveland I believe and I haven't seen it since. Second one is owned by a friend of Georges, he bought it off a used car lot a couple of years ago, his name is Norb Kendall.

6. Rikster

Rikster

A few more,

I dont think its the same car though. But I dont have proof.

Photo by Huffreport

[​IMG]

Other photo's are also from the net.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the coupe once more

[​IMG]

7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

A big thanks to George Dorr for building these two cars. His first one,the coupe was a major part of the rebirth in customs .It got tons of ink in the early 80s. The second car ,the Fleetline made its debut in Springfield in 85 and was edged out for paint in grey prime with 56 Packard taillights.

8. reddevice

reddevice
    from france

HI, i own this car now the car is in FRANCE, will be repaint during spring, same color (titan red the interior need to be done also, will be done next winter. I promess, i will give a second life to this incredible car

9. How about some pics as it looks today

10. reddevice

reddevice
    from france

2012-12-18 10.58.57.jpg

2012-12-18 10.59.10.jpg

2012-12-18 12.22.48.jpg

11. reddevice

reddevice
    from france

the car is like it was before, everything is original, the paint will be redone soon and a custom interior also, i will upgrate pics when the job will be done if anybody is interrested
    regards
    Francois

12. Very nice. I would love to see folks faces when you roll that down the street in France

13. 'Mo

'Mo

You cannot imagine how welcome it was to see this in the magazines in the '80's. The car scene was soooo different when this car was built. I'm glad to see that it has survived, and is in good hands.

14. reddevice

reddevice
    from france

i am really happy that some people have still some interest about this car, i knew when i bought this car that i was buying a small part of american custom culture, i'm proud to own this car right now, i bought it last january in cruisin classic in Columbus,Ohio the car is on the ship to europe i took those pics last december when i came to US to see the car before i buy it. the guy gave me all the magazines from the 80's where the car appears.
    Sorry about any mistakes in my english, french is my language, but american is my way of life

15. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Congratulations on owning a piece of custom car history. This was one of the cars which launched the custom car revival in the early eighties. Still looks good to me.

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You should be proud to own that car, it was important in reviving the customs.
    And...it belonged to a really great guy. George was a fixture at all the early custom revival shows, like the Leadsled Spectacular. He and his son, Chad, were regulars at them, and always smiling, and happy to meet you. I traveled with him several times, cross country and enjoyed every minute of it. He met his end, very unfortunately, in (I believe) a painting accident, fell off a ladder. While he survived and went home from the hospital, something complications caused his demise.
    While I love and appreciate these cars, it is also the people who own them that make this such a great hobby. Custom car folks are such a great breed! Keeping alive their memories is as important as preserving their vehicles!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    OG lil E likes this.
  17. reddevice

reddevice
    from france

Yes, i will!!!
    Thank you guys for your comments

18. art daddy

art daddy
    from ohio

Hey brother I'm Marz the guy who owned and worked on the car in the states. Finish her up brother that car deserves it. I would of completed her but lost my fulltime job, freelancing now.. do her justice....

Best always
    Marz the artist

19. art daddy

art daddy
    from ohio

If anyone wants to see a history on George Dorr's car go under social groups on THE HAMB it's all there under George Dorr.... ENJOY!!!!! I posted all the magazine articles and picture history on the car I received when I bought the car from Delmar out of Stow Ohio. George even made a custom billet dragger plate he made by hand that hung off the rear of the car on chains all hand made it was impressive...a complete outline detail of the car in metal

20. someone should build a replica.

21. reddevice

reddevice
    from france

the restoration has started, the body will be removed, the car is quite rusty underneath, i will make a complete new floor with bigger tunnel, the frame will be sand blasted and repaint, i am thinking about channeling the body (not sure yet), waiting for complete air ride suspension kit from states (by Gambino Kustoms) new exhaust line with gasser style headers will be fitted. The car will be repaint THE SAME COLOR, it's important to me. And one guy (custom Jack) from our club (Old Bangers) is working on a nice custom interior.
    The second life of this fabulous car has started. I don't know how put pics

22. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

I remember the car well. nice ! used to see it in salem, o. where George lived

23. reddevice

reddevice
    from france

20140202_125316.jpg

20140202_125325.jpg

Test for pics of my desasembled car

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. reddevice

reddevice
    from france

Here are pics of the car at the moment in my garage, parts will arrive next week from states in a shared container with some classic cars for my friend's business.
    Frame is ready for c notch and bags all around with a dual compressor air ride system, the interior will be done at the same time by Custom Jack one of our ckub's member.
    I will put some more pics later. my job don't let me too much time at work, but my target is to use the car during summer.

Regards
    Francois

25. art daddy

art daddy
    from ohio

That is what needed done to this car it sat in storage in Stow Ohio for like 15 years that didn't do it any good for sure it never moved..

26. art daddy

art daddy
    from ohio

Any updated info or pictures of the cars progress?

Thanks
    Marz

27. art daddy

art daddy
    from ohio

Please post new pics would love to see it now!

28. art daddy

art daddy
    from ohio

Francois,

Hi bro, is the car finished? I'd love to see pics if you have
    them..

Thanks
    Marz